Ken Smith

It is my view that placing Olivia operation between PSK31 and FT8 is ridiculous. Why do you want to do that? When Olivia becomes as popular as PSK31 and FT8, The spread is already too narrow to operate Olivia without being interfered by PSk31 and FT8.

Hi, Ken.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 22:42 Ken Smith via Groups.Io <kls235=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It is my view that placing Olivia operation between PSK31 and FT8 is ridiculous. Why do you want to do that? When Olivia becomes as popular as PSK31 and FT8, The spread is already too narrow to operate Olivia without being interfered by PSk31 and FT8.

I see your concern.

The fundamental reason lies in that we (Olivia and related modes) were first in the space where now exists FT8 operation. We were stomped upon, and forced to move down. Joe Taylor chose to take x.074 to .080 (etc.) for all of his new modes, thinking our modes dead. Worse now, FT8 fans have spread out even on top of other traditional slices used by weak-signal CW, etc. Anyway, we moved down a bit, that's all.

What do you propose? What other choices are there, if we are to be respectful of other players with their modes, sharing this spectrum.

73 de NW7US dit dit

F.R. Ashley

Who was there first is no longer the issue or doesn't matter.  FT8 & FT4 are just too popular to deal with anymore, so  I might suggest moving Olivia below PSK 31, somewhere between the CW QRP freq. of 14060 to 14068.     Olivia ops and users of modes such as Hellschreiber, etc, may just have to be happy sharing the same area since most are seldom used.   I remember when Amtor and Pactor ARQ mode and Clover used 14065 area but those modes are basically extinct now so why not use those freqs. instead of trying to cram so many modes between 14070-14080?  Please consider 14065-14070.

73 Buddy WB4M

On 10/28/2019 11:50 PM, Tomas, NW7US wrote:
[...]

Great idea. I will redo the poll and get that posted soon. It is great when we get feedback and then consensus. Part of the issue that will have to be considered in frequency choice is if the chosen frequency is available per regulation in each Region (1, 2, and 3). If anyone is here from any of those regions and can give guidance, that would be great.

73 de NW7US

..

..

Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.

If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy.

-- Donald Knuth

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 12:43 F.R. Ashley <gdadx2@...> wrote:

[...]

ON2AD Pat

Don't forget that SIM31 is very active at 14.067 with up and down 500Hz.

73 de Pat, ON2AD

Jim Falls

I don’t know if anything can be done in the face of care-less Certificate Collectors on bulldozers except “keep on keepin’ on”. Their complaining of QRM is like someone moving next to a freeway, complaining of the noise, and demanding the freeway be closed and moved across town.

Gentlemen’s agreements? They only work when there are Gentlemen involved. Same thing happened to AM ‘phone. We kept getting along, being courteous ops. Now we’re stuck in “3880-Witz” surrounded by eternally vigilant SSB ops patrolling outside the barbed wire.

Disgustedly yours,
Jim Falls K6FWT

On Oct 29, 2019, at 10:43, F.R. Ashley <gdadx2@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom DF5JL

Folks,

The section below 14070 kHz is recommended for CW by IARU bandplans (here IARU Region 1):

14 060 – 14 070

200

CW, 14 060 kHz – QRP Centre of Activity

14 070 – 14 089

500

Narrow band modes – digimodes

14 089 – 14 099

500

Narrow band modes - digimodes automatically controlled data stations (unattended)

Digital modes are prefered between 14070 and 14099 kHz, even in region 2 and 3.

Band schedules have been painstakingly harmonized between the three IARU regions. I see no reason to provoke the telegraphists unnecessarily. In the area between 14080 and 14099 kHz is enough room for Olivia activities. In Europe, the separation of CW and Digimodes works very well. The peace between these two groups of users should not be jeopardized by hasty and careless decisions.

I therefore ask you to thoroughly consider and revise this proposal.

I have informed the IARU Informal Band Planning Group (IIBPG) with representatives of the three IARU regions, as I consider this process to be extremely relevant to the global community of radio amateurs.

73 Tom DF5JL
IARU Region 1 HF Manager / Chair C4 Committee

Am 29.10.2019 um 18:46 schrieb Tomas, NW7US:

[...]

So why not 14088 kHz? Because Olivia is a really good girl, so love and kisses ;)

73 Tom DF5JL

Am 29.10.2019 um 22:24 schrieb Tom DF5JL:

[...]

I being new to digital did not know the history of Olivia or any of it for that matter. I just got on the air in 2015 after a very long absence. I understand now why Olivia is getting crowded out, being there is not much activity from it.

I do like it over PSK 31 because I can keep up as I type slower. When I got interested in getting into digital operation I down loaded Fldigi and sort of learned how to use it.  PSK31 was the signal filling up the waterfall, so I started using it as well as  getting more familiar with the software. After awhile I decided to see what FT8  was all about and downloaded WSJT-X. So that was good for awhile,   At first Psk31 was the only signal I could tell what mode it was. He reason or me using more at first. Any other signal that came on the WF was very  hard for me to pick the mode. And is still that way. But I can now discern Olivia mode and have had few QSO’s in it. I like it over PSK31 because it gives me time to type ahead as it is slower than PSK31. I don’t know why Olivia isn’t as popular as PSK31. Maybe the majority are younger Hams that can think and type faster, I don’t know.  But slower is my preferred pace now.  So, anyway about the freq. poll, it just seemed to me that the space for Olivia is crowded and I just had to make my uneducated input. So thanks for making me see why. I believe if it receives more popularity it certainly is going to need more space.

Thanks Ken K5XOM

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Bry Carling AF4K

Hey Ken,

I will make a schedule with you to chat on Olivia anytime. Just let me know when and what frequency.

Best regards - Bry Carling, AF4K

[...]

<7047533F2FCF47FEAFB9A7DCBE5C2CD2.png>
<B87A4EFC9BA94133AF35821451BD1AAF.png>

Bry Carling AF4K

I agree. Buddy’s suggestion is going to really impinge badly on CW operators and cause havoc. Hands OFF the CW sub bands!  We have plenty of room for digital modes elsewhere.
YMMV

On Oct 29, 2019, at 5:24 PM, Tom DF5JL <df5jl@...> wrote:

[...]

Lots of theories about what is going to happen. Olivia becomes more popular blah blah. That would be nice but the fact is, due to the propaganda from Newington, that is not happening. Keep hams busy with
contesting and no real conversations.
To each his own. But FT8 is great if you are in a hurry or unfriendly.

Best regards - Bry Carling, AF4K

On Oct 28, 2019, at 11:42 PM, Ken Smith via Groups.Io <kls235@...> wrote:

G8JCF

Hi

I have been using JS8 fairly seriously since early Feb 2019 and it enables true conversational mode QSOs using FT8 style modulation. JS8Call version 1 was capable but couldn't really offer the throughput of Olivia and lacked type-head . However JS8Call version 2 is in beta right now, and has a 'Fast' mode which subjectively feels like Olivia 16/500 wrt throughput (~24 wpm) but only occupies 80Hz and has about 3dB less SNR than regular JS8/FT8 (there is also a Turbo mode, 160Hz, (~40 wpm) but I can't type fast enough to keep up!!)., and also has type-ahead. The beta JS8Call V2 s/w does have some rough edges/bugs, (which is to be expected), but it's very usable as-is, and I've had several hours long QSOs in Fast mode which as I said felt just like 16/500 Olivia QSOs.

The big thing about JS8 (and FT8 etc) is that these modes have very well established calling frequencies - in fact they are baked into the main programs, ie JS8Call and WSJT/X, so these mode benfit from Metcalfe's networking effect (see http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/ for my attempt at this for other digital modes starting with Olivia - BTW, when the new Olivia calling frequencies have been agreed upon, a simple text file can be distributed to update calling frequencies/modes in OLCTL)

Unfortunately, IMHO, unless we can get Olivia calling frequencies baked into Fldigi, HRD DM870 and whatever other programs there are, we're never going to get the network effect needed;  I think the ship may have sailed wrt Olivia now that JS8Call V2 is about to go prime time.

:-( :-( :-(

Peter - GM8JCF

F.R. Ashley

Peter,

I agree about JS8.  But Olivia was never very popular to begin with and isn't today.

Unfortunately, IMHO, unless we can get Olivia calling frequencies baked into Fldigi, HRD DM870 and whatever other programs there are, we're never going to get the network effect needed;  I think the ship may have sailed wrt Olivia now that JS8Call V2 is about to go prime time.

:-( :-( :-(

Peter - GM8JCF

Hey, group.

My mom just passed away, so I have been distracted from getting the new frequency list stuff done, and from getting on the air in any significant way.  Things will settle down by next week.

Thanks,

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Gary E. Kohtala

Sincerest condolences, Thomas.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail

On Jan 22, 2020, at 18:41, "Tomas, NW7US" <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:

Hey, group.

My mom just passed away, so I have been distracted from getting the new frequency list stuff done, and from getting on the air in any significant way.  Things will settle down by next week.

Thanks,

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Mark GØNMY

Sorry to read your post Thomas may I offer my sincerest condolances.
73 Mark G0NMY

  • May the MORSE be with you!
  • ¡ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
  •   UKSMG.ORG