Topics

I'll be QRV tonight on 40m and 80m

Adrien F4IJA

Hi OMs,
I'll be QRV this evening on 40m and maybe 80m (not at the same time).
I'll use OLCTL to configure my frequencies on 8/250.

I'll be QRV starting at about 2000UTC.

If you plan to connect, don't hesitate :-)

Dave_G0WBX

Hi.

for those without OLCTL, what frequencies are you thinking of?

France is a bit short skip for me, Central Russian stations dominate 80m for me most evenings.

Dave G8KBV

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Raul M0ZZM

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 01:28 PM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
I'll be QRV this evening on 40m and maybe 80m (not at the same time).
I'll use OLCTL to configure my frequencies on 8/250.
You may also want to monitor the Olivia cluster on hamspots.net, it's a very good way of finding traffic worldwide.

Adrien F4IJA

Thank you, I've spotted myself (ie I posted in the chat) on hamspots.net. Hope to see you !!

Dave_G0WBX

Well, I did eventually find the net, but zero copy from Adrien F4IJA in any way.

Everyone else was a good to big signal (S9+) but Adrien, no signal at all.

Olivia failed (as I suspected it might, as France is a bit short skip for me in the evening from Buckingham) also in the presence of S8+ VDSL noise.   Plenty of Russian and other East European signals all over the band too.

I did also manage to get the current version of olctl installed (at last.)   Looks good, but at the moment it fails to control Fldigi's mode (USB/LSB.)  That I failed to notice, so it was later than planned when I "found" the net.

I was also somewhat busy with a bit of fiddly construction.

73.

Dave G8KBV

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Adrien F4IJA

Hi Dave,

Yesterday after about 45min of cq on 40m I moved to 80m. There was a net of 3 fellows UK hams and we had something like 1h30 of qso with no errors.

I started at 40w but at the end I was only 2.5w and that was still fine.

Nice mode!

G8JCF

Hi Dave

olctl is NOT designed to control the mode, ie USB/LSB, only the calling frequency(s), it is expected that the operator configures their rig for digital modes optimally which usually means USB but not exclusively so.

olctl will not ever change anything on your rig other than the tuned (dial) frequency.

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Dave_G0WBX

Hi Adrien.

Yes, Olivia is a good conversational mode, especially for rag-chews!  As
it's not quick to change over between participants, attempting to join a
net in progress can be frustrating unless you make a good long call.  If
everyone uses TXID and RXID, then it is possible to change mode to
something quicker for a call in, then change back to what was previously
in use before passing it back.

Your 40W I could probably have copied I think, but not a snowball in
Hell's chance your 2.5W with the local noise/QRM level here on 80m,
especially at that sort of frequency.  The other UK stations, one was a
BIG signal, one OK, the other in the noise (even at S8) but copied OK.
I guess they have lower noise levels to them, so your 2.5W worked OK.

Checking 3583 now, there's a huge millitary wideband data signal there,
about S9.

Rig is a TS870s, the antenna is a short wire sloper in the corner of the
small garden.  Hmm, something else loud and data just splurged on
3584..  No RSID, so no idea what it might have been.

Shame, as the antenna works well down there.

Anyway, back to the dodgy construction, converting an old MFJ-247
antenna analyser to use a rechargable battery, and fit a slow motion
tuning drive.   It's old, it's simple, it's easy to use!

Ha!  There is some Thor4 being used on 3584.5  OE1XA and RV6AGB in QSO.
Painfully slow, but it is working.  Looks like they are going to work as
many different digimodes as they can!  When they don't double with each
other using different modes...

73 Adrien.  Have a good evening.

Dave G8KBV

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software: