Topics

Help needed: presenter on Olivia at HAM-CON Vermont (virutal hamfest) #Promotion

Catherine James

The annual hamfest in Vermont, Ham-Con, is being organized as a virtual online one this year. We need presenters on a variety of topics.

We would like someone in the Olivia group to give a virtual talk over Zoom explaining what Olivia is, its benefits, when you would use the various sub-modes (8/250, 8/500, 16/500, etc.) and why more hams should use it.

Here's a chance to get Olivia in front of a larger audience!

Please reach out to me if you are interested in doing this, or if you can connect me withone someone else who would be a good choice as a presenter.

73,
Cathy James NQ1B

I'm interested. When is this event? How long is the session?

--

73 de NW7US dit dit
"Mind your dits and dahs and the spaces between elements and words; be consistent with those lengths!"

..

dan

hi Catherine,
are you hosting this event in vt ?

i started with Olivia as my first digital mode but i am by no means an expert.
i randomly chose Olivia for no particular reason, as my beginning journey into digital modes.

i had no Elmer’s (mentors) to guide me but did attempt use the arrl guide for digital modes which I found it to be mostly useless, except if you wanted to psk as was the author’s choice.

i basically struggled along for many month but finally did get comfortable in the digital world. i have tried most of the modes and a few are not geared towards commutating but more for accumulating unredeemable points.

in summary i stuck with Olivia mainly, because before moving on to other modes i really wanted to be proficient in just one. this is why i am perhaps happier with Olivia; she is my first. from my today i believe i was lucky to have stumbled upon Olivia as it is extremely forgiving mode for maintaining longer contacts and suits my as a typist - i’m slow but that’s just fine in Olivia because there is enough time to type your reply while at the same time read your contact’s responses.

a couple other modes that are similar to Olivia that i enjoy domino, contessa <sp>.

so if you want some one with much broader perspective than me,  i think you need to contact thoms.
nw7us.heliophile@...

happy trails dan, n1ukj