Topics

Help needed: presenter on Olivia at HAM-CON Vermont (virutal hamfest) #Promotion

Catherine James

The annual hamfest in Vermont, Ham-Con, is being organized as a virtual online one this year. We need presenters on a variety of topics.

We would like someone in the Olivia group to give a virtual talk over Zoom explaining what Olivia is, its benefits, when you would use the various sub-modes (8/250, 8/500, 16/500, etc.) and why more hams should use it.

Here's a chance to get Olivia in front of a larger audience!

Please reach out to me if you are interested in doing this, or if you can connect me withone someone else who would be a good choice as a presenter.

Cathy James NQ1B

I'm interested. When is this event? How long is the session? 

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020, 2:47 PM Catherine James <catherine.james@...> wrote:
The annual hamfest in Vermont, Ham-Con, is being organized as a virtual online one this year. We need presenters on a variety of topics.

We would like someone in the Olivia group to give a virtual talk over Zoom explaining what Olivia is, its benefits, when you would use the various sub-modes (8/250, 8/500, 16/500, etc.) and why more hams should use it.

Please reach out to me if you are interested in doing this, or if you can connect me withone someone else who would be a good choice as a presenter.

Cathy James NQ1B

--

73 de NW7US dit dit
"Mind your dits and dahs and the spaces between elements and words; be consistent with those lengths!"
SKCC Nr. 4758s / FISTS Nr. 7055 / LICW Nr. 653 
NW7US on QRZ / NW7US on YouTubeTwitterFacebookBlog
Space weather and radio propagation editor for 
      - CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and,
      - The Spectrum Monitor magazine. 

dan

hi Catherine,
are you hosting this event in vt ?

i started with Olivia as my first digital mode but i am by no means an expert.
i randomly chose Olivia for no particular reason, as my beginning journey into digital modes.

i had no Elmer’s (mentors) to guide me but did attempt use the arrl guide for digital modes which I found it to be mostly useless, except if you wanted to psk as was the author’s choice.

i basically struggled along for many month but finally did get comfortable in the digital world. i have tried most of the modes and a few are not geared towards commutating but more for accumulating unredeemable points.

in summary i stuck with Olivia mainly, because before moving on to other modes i really wanted to be proficient in just one. this is why i am perhaps happier with Olivia; she is my first. from my today i believe i was lucky to have stumbled upon Olivia as it is extremely forgiving mode for maintaining longer contacts and suits my as a typist - i’m slow but that’s just fine in Olivia because there is enough time to type your reply while at the same time read your contact’s responses.

a couple other modes that are similar to Olivia that i enjoy domino, contessa <sp>.

so if you want some one with much broader perspective than me,  i think you need to contact thoms.
nw7us.heliophile@...

happy trails dan, n1ukj

On Dec 28, 2020, at 3:56 PM, Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:

I'm interested. When is this event? How long is the session? 

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020, 2:47 PM Catherine James <catherine.james@...> wrote:

Cathy James NQ1B

--

73 de NW7US dit dit
"Mind your dits and dahs and the spaces between elements and words; be consistent with those lengths!"
SKCC Nr. 4758s / FISTS Nr. 7055 / LICW Nr. 653 
NW7US on QRZ / NW7US on YouTubeTwitterFacebookBlog
Space weather and radio propagation editor for 
      - CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and,
      - The Spectrum Monitor magazine. 

Top News - Sponsored By Newser