Topics

Help Needed: Live Demonstration of Olivia #OliviaScheds #Promotion

I am giving a club meeting live demonstration of Olivia, this coming Wednesday, 10 JUNE 2020 (Central Time Zone, USA).  The meeting time is approximately 7:15 PM, Central, but is an online, virtual meeting.  Which means two things:

1.  You can attend, virtually,
2.  I need volunteers with whom I can establish Olivia communication QSOs

I am trying to line up some operators that can hear and that I can hear, to demonstrate, live, some Olivia activity.  At that time of day, it would seem that 80 meters or 40 meters might work best.

We need to do some test runs before Wednesday.  We need to make sure that we can achieve reliable QSOs between us, on Wednesday.

If you are available and willing to be one of the volunteers with whom I can have Olivia QSOs with on Wednesday, 10 JUNE 2020, at 7:15 PM on ward, can you please let me know your information?  And, can we meet at the time, between now and Wednesday for tests?

Information needed:
Your Location
Your Callsign
Your Antenna
Your Radio
Your Software
Your Power-out
Your Name
How Long Have You Used Olivia

Thanks,
Tomas Hood, in Lincoln, NEBRASKA

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

David Latour

I would be willing and available Monday for practice and Wednesday for event.

Winnipeg MB EN19jv
VE4DL
GAP Titan DX vertical
Kenwood TS-590S
fldigi 4.1.07
30W normally but up to 100W available
David, but DJ transmits faster
this is Day 3 for 4 QSO total. Today I’m calibrating the sound card.

TZ tonight so Monday I can try you. Tuesday is our HF SSB Club meeting.

Doug/KB8DNQ

Hi my name is Doug
KB8DNQ
Stark Co, Ohio.
FT 897
30 watts
130ft endfed wire
Fldigi
Let me know what band and time.

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020, 4:28 PM Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:
[...]

Richard Katsch

Hi Tomas,

I don't know if I'd be of much use to you as I'm on the east coast of Australia. Your 10th June 1915 sched would translate to 11th June 1015 if I've got the time zones right. Anyway I'll give you my details. I can participate any time of day as I live out of town on a farm.

Your Location: Wollomombi NSW AU. QF69al
Your Callsign: VK2EIK
Your Antenna: End fed 80-10 m inverted V.
Your Radio: Elecraft K3 + KPA500. GPS locked.
Your Software: Fldigi or Mix W. Usually Fldigi these days.
Your Power-out: Allowed 120 W for digital modes ...
Your Name: Richard Katsch
How Long Have You Used Olivia: Over 10 years.

I used to have contacts with some Swiss and Finish guys some years ago on 20 m 14,106.5(?) but haven't heard to much on the Olivia frequencies recently.

Best regards
Richard
VK2EIK

To each of you that provided your information, I would like to set up a schedule for tonight and tomorrow night (night, being referenced to my time zone).

I would like to make an attempt on different bands starting at 00:00 UTC, 9 June 2020 (or, 7 PM Central Time, tonight, 8 June).

I would like to use this as a way to announce the bands.  I assume that I will try 80, 40, and perhaps 30 meters.

Who is available, today?  Who is available tomorrow?  And, are you available for the actual event, on Wednesday (UTC 00:00 on 11 June 2020)?

Thank you.

Tomas

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Lee McDaniel

Tomas,

     I am available tomm night...Tuesday and yes for actual date of demo.

Lee WB4QOJ
EM73nu West Metro Atlanta

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 4:38 PM Tomas, NW7US <nw7us.heliophile@...> wrote:
[...]

Propagation conditions might be rough tonight through Wednesday.  I will attempt first on 40 Meters, then move to 30 Meters, and finally to 80 Meters.  All I need to do, tonight, is make a contact and exchange name, locations, grid square, and a signal report.  On the demo night, I will look for whomever is the strongest signal on Monday/Tuesday test runs, with a couple of backups.  The event exchange will likely be a short conversation.

I will first start with 8/250, but want to move to 4/500 or 8.500, if conditions support the faster configuration.

Thanks,

Tomas

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM Lee McDaniel <wb4qoj@...> wrote:
[...]

Tomas David Hood - NW7US
http://me.nw7us.us

“For me, great algorithms are the poetry of computation. Just like verse, they can be terse, allusive, dense, and even mysterious. But once unlocked, they cast a brilliant new light on some aspect of computing. ” — Francis Sullivan

“An algorithm must be seen to be believed.” — Donald Knuth

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
Google+    http://nw7us.us/+

The information contained in this communication is confidential, proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

JR

Tomas

what frequencies ?

so I can see if I can hear you down here in ZL land

John

[...]

Thank you John.
7071.4??
Richard
Vk2eik

Yes, starting at 7.0714...   center is 7.0729 - 8/250 USB - starting now calling CQ

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 6:40 PM Richard Katsch <rkatsch@...> wrote:
Thank you John.
7071.4??
Richard
Vk2eik

--
[...]

Just noise here.
Richard
Vk2eik

RRR

I am in QSO with W5OXC at the moment.  Band is a little unstable, but I think this is working.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 7:16 PM Richard Katsch <rkatsch@...> wrote:
Just noise here.
Richard
Vk2eik

--
[...]

Excellent. Glad it’s working.

--
Regards
Richard Katsch

JR

Nothing here in ZL land

On 2020-06-09 13:10, Lee McDaniel wrote:

Nice signal Tomas.

Lee WB4QOJ

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 8:27 PM JR <zl3trr@...> wrote:
Nothing here in ZL land

Tomas, I may not be able to get on the air for Wednesday night. I spent the weekend cleaning up tree / antenna damage and now it looks like I lost a monitor or computer to the power surges we had--powered off but the power strip was still hot :(
It really sucks since I was looking forward to getting back on the air, maybe use the dummy load if I can get the radio up--should work for across town with Olivia.

Ouch!

No worries. I'm not going anywhere. Worst case, we sync up further down the log sheet.

73

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Doug/KB8DNQ

I'm available all 3 nights.
I just want to verify the frequencys on 40&80m.

[...]

Thanks.  I am forgoing tonight's test run, due to immediate bad weather.  There's even a confirmed tornado south of us.

I will be on the air early tomorrow.  I will announce here.

Then, I will be on the air in the evening for the actual meeting at about 01:30 UTC.  I will start on 40 meters at 7.0714 MHz dial, 7.0729 MHz center of the 8/250 bandwidth.

Tomas