Topics

Frequencies #chat

Ross Biggar

A new chat has been created:

Can we please all agree to amend the suggested frequencies.
eg the current frequency suggested for 17m is 18.102.9 or center frequency 18.101.400
This frequency is right in the middle of JS8 and FT8.
I recommend move that frequency to a dial of 18.104.000
Other bands will have the same problem.

With the proliferation of FT8 and JS8 call, we need to move.

The 30m frequency is ideal as it is well away from interference.

I realise there have been numerous attempts to set up frequencies, but it is time to rationalise
away from the growth of other modes.

Comments please.

Ross
ZL1WN

ps: I will have my receiver on 18.104 (dial frequency)  when this band is open to the USA

View/Join This Chat

I agree.  I was swamped at work lately, but am on vacation as of today. I will get frequency updates done ASAP in the next day or so.

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Bryan Page

I second that...

Bryan M0IHY

On Tuesday, 31 December 2019, 21:20:11 GMT, Ross Biggar <ross.biggar@...> wrote:

A new chat has been created:

Can we please all agree to amend the suggested frequencies.
eg the current frequency suggested for 17m is 18.102.9 or center frequency 18.101.400
This frequency is right in the middle of JS8 and FT8.
I recommend move that frequency to a dial of 18.104.000
Other bands will have the same problem.

With the proliferation of FT8 and JS8 call, we need to move.

The 30m frequency is ideal as it is well away from interference.

I realise there have been numerous attempts to set up frequencies, but it is time to rationalise
away from the growth of other modes.

Comments please.

Ross
ZL1WN

ps: I will have my receiver on 18.104 (dial frequency)  when this band is open to the USA

View/Join This Chat

Ross Biggar

Thanks  to the 2 of you who replied so quickly.
When looking at new frequencies, be aware the FT4 has frequencies in WSJT-x 2.1, for example on 20m they are using 14.080 so we have to be above that or well below 14.074,
I cannot see a problem on going to  dial 14.070 or lower.

Regards
Ross
ZL1WN

Can we please all agree to amend the suggested frequencies.
eg the current frequency suggested for 17m is 18.102.9 or center frequency 18.101.400
This frequency is right in the middle of JS8 and FT8.
I recommend move that frequency to a dial of 18.104.000
Other bands will have the same problem.

With the proliferation of FT8 and JS8 call, we need to move.

The 30m frequency is ideal as it is well away from interference.

I realise there have been numerous attempts to set up frequencies, but it is time to rationalise
away from the growth of other modes.

Comments please.

Ross
ZL1WN

ps: I will have my receiver on 18.104 (dial frequency)  when this band is open to the USA

View/Join This Chat

Norm Fasoletos

I also agree on changing the frequencies. Please post the new frequencies when available. Would like to get on and do more Olivia..

Happy New Year & DX to the group!

73

Norm Fasoletos  K7NWF
Chandler, AZ DM43bf

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 4:11 PM Ross Biggar <ross.biggar@...> wrote:
[...]

Raul M0ZZM

No chance of being on the air these days due to extensive travelling (and no radio in my luggage) but I am planning to catch up when I return home on 10 Jan.

Happy New Year everyone!

Raul M0ZZM

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019, 21:56 Norm Fasoletos, <norm.k7nwf@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom DF5JL

Raul,

HNY to you and all readers.

It took years of hard work to harmonise the band plans in the three IARU
regions to such an extent that conflicts between the interests of
different types of broadcasting were minimised. Below 14070 kHz mainly
QRP and portable stations are working. In the IARU band plans it is
designated for telegraphy (bandwidth up to 200 Hz).

This can be respected without getting into trouble. For me this is a
question of Ham Spirit.

73 Tom DF5JL
IARU Region 1 HF Manager

Am 01.01.20 um 04:10 schrieb Raul M0ZZM:

I cannot see a problem on going to  dial 14.070 or lower.

Hi Olivia enthusiasts!

I was on the Olivia modes a few years back.

Recently, I tried to find the frequencies for let’s say 20 meters and 40 meters.

Well, I found on the internet various and conflicting answers.

I like using the mode 500 / 8

Please give me the latest frequencies for 20 meters and 40 meters.

Cheers! Happy New Year

Tom Wright

SVP Sales and Business Development

LaMont Aerospace

M : 972 322 8082

Email Twright@...

MBA/BSEE/CCNP/CCDP/CCVP

FCC License (1st Class Phone) Amateur Extra NN2X

On Jan 1, 2020, at 1:54 AM, Tom DF5JL <df5jl@...> wrote:

Raul,

HNY to you and all readers.

It took years of hard work to harmonise the band plans in the three IARU
regions to such an extent that conflicts between the interests of
different types of broadcasting were minimised. Below 14070 kHz mainly
QRP and portable stations are working. In the IARU band plans it is
designated for telegraphy (bandwidth up to 200 Hz).

This can be respected without getting into trouble. For me this is a
question of Ham Spirit.

73 Tom DF5JL
IARU Region 1 HF Manager

Am 01.01.20 um 04:10 schrieb Raul M0ZZM:
I cannot see a problem on going to  dial 14.070 or lower.

Mike Simkins

Not been on much recently, but there used to see some activity at 14071.4 dial (14072.9 center), but I think that was 8/250 rather than 8/500.

Unfortunately due to the proliferation of FT8 a lot of people creep down from 14074 and block it.

Getting a harmonised frequency now is difficult across all regions.

You may want to checkout hamspots.net which has a page for Olivia, and has people posting where they are

On 1 Jan 2020, at 12:27, Tom (NN2X) via Groups.Io <tomw0093@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike

Thanks!

I proposed a few years ago, that Olivia modes should be on a “ Platform “ like FT8 , in this way the frequencies are fixed and simple

Otherwise we are at the mercy of being literally pushed around

Further Hams today are mostly appliance type and therefore a “ Platform “ like FT8 would cement the Olivia modes for the future.

Now if there is already a “ Platform “ I apologize in advance

On Jan 1, 2020, at 6:43 AM, Mike Simkins <g7obs@...> wrote:

[...]

Todd AL7PX

Yes, the frequencies need to be decided one way or another.
Todd
AL7PX

Ross Biggar

Hi all, I hope you had a good new year, and more to the point we can look forward to more Olivia on frequencies away from FT8 and FT4.

Some very good comments and yes a platform would be ideal.
As much as I agree with bandplans, I do not think they should restrict us totally. eg, below 14070 mainly QRP and portable, my question would be how many such stations use that segment apart from cw. In NZ the bandplan for that segment shows as cw or modes less than 1 khz bandwidth.  So looking at the region 3 bandplan, there is plenty of room to move our Olivia frequencies.
As an aside, I see for the ARRL RTTY roundup, this weekend, they are suggesting that apart from 14080 for FT4 is will be on 14136.

Finally  I feel there is a lot of room to move, lets get on and do it.

Best wishes for 2020
Ross
ZL1WN

G8JCF

Tom

re ' ... on a “ Platform “ ...'

Do you mean something like this http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/ ?

Peter - GM8JCF

Just a quick update: I am working on a new list of calling frequencies, and general operating hints. Once I get a draft ready, I will post it via this email list, as well as several other outlets, to garner feedback for a final revision. The going is a little slow as I only have one working hand/arm - my dominate right hand is going into a cast, tomorrow. I had reconstructive surgery on my right wrist/hand and arm, about two weeks ago. Please be patient with me.

Thanks!

Tomas / NW7US

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Mark Hubelbank

While the frequencies are being considered, is there any interest in the 80 and 160M bands? On 80 the current frequency is very close to W1AW at 3.5815 and it does seem that on 160M it is almost on top of a lot of FT8 activity. I don't know where the "official" FT8 sub bands are but they do seem to be everywhere.
Given that Olivia is capable of such low level signal reception, it would seem ideal for long distances on the low bands.

Raul M0ZZM

Tom,

I happen to have some time in my hands as I am on a leisure journey across the US (from Florida to California, currently in Arizona and most likely in your time zone).

If it helps and if you like the idea, we can arrange a chat on Skype or similar. I am happy to take notes and type the list in a nicely formatted leaflet that you can then circulate.

Raul M0ZZM

Yes, we should talk, Raul.

I have medical appointments, today. Perhaps on Saturday we can figure out a time and connect up via Skype.

My email is nw7us@... - drop me a note about your Skype contact details.

Thanks,

Tomas

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 11:08 PM Raul M0ZZM <m0zzm@...> wrote:
Tom,

I happen to have some time in my hands as I am on a leisure journey across the US (from Florida to California, currently in Arizona and most likely in your time zone).

If it helps and if you like the idea, we can arrange a chat on Skype or similar. I am happy to take notes and type the list in a nicely formatted leaflet that you can then circulate.

Raul M0ZZM

--
Thank you,
Tomas David Hood - NW7US

“For me, great algorithms are the poetry of computation. Just like verse, they can be terse, allusive, dense, and even mysterious. But once unlocked, they cast a brilliant new light on some aspect of computing. ” — Francis Sullivan

“An algorithm must be seen to be believed.” — Donald Knuth

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
Google+    http://nw7us.us/+

The information contained in this communication is confidential, proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT

--

73 de Tomas, NW7US dit dit

https://QRZ.com/db/NW7US
Space weather and radio propagation editor for CQ Amateur Radio Magazine, and The Spectrum Monitor magazine.

+ YouTube: https://YouTube.com/NW7US
+ Social Media:
    - Twitter:  @NW7US = https://Twitter.com/NW7US
    - Facebook (As NW7US):  https://fb.me/NW7US
    - Facebook (As Space Weather and Radio Propagation Page):  https://fb.me/spacewx.hfradio
    - Blog: https://blog.nw7us.us

..

Ross Biggar

Hi All,
I have tried the OCTL program and it loads and works perfectly, with FLdigi and my Flex 6600M.
The only problem  I have is how do you adjust the frequencies that have been programmed into the app.?
This will be especially necessary if we,  and I hope we will, adjust the present frequencies.

So Tomas thanks for your efforts,  get better soon.

Ross
ZL1WN

Doug/KB8DNQ

Here in Ohio I check in to nets on Olivia on 80m and 160m.
The frequency for 160 that we have a net ion is 1.805

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 11:45 PM Mark Hubelbank <mhubel@...> wrote:
While the frequencies are being considered, is there any interest in the 80 and 160M bands? On 80 the current frequency is very close to W1AW at 3.5815 and it does seem that on 160M it is almost on top of a lot of FT8 activity. I don't know where the "official" FT8 sub bands are but they do seem to be everywhere.
Given that Olivia is capable of such low level signal reception, it would seem ideal for long distances on the low bands.

G8JCF

Hi Ross

The "secret"  is C:\Program Files (x86)\GM8JCF\olctl\bandplans.txt !!!!

olctl loads in file bandplans.txt on startup, and this file contains the definitions of the bands, frequency(s), offset from dial setting and modes.

Below is a fragment from the existing bandplans.txt.
The file is very much in the style of .INI files
lines starting with ; or # are comments

;List of Band names
[Bands]
#Number of bands defined in this bandplan

NumBands=10
#Name of Band 0
0=160
#Name of band 1
1=80
2=60
3=40
4=30
5=20
6=17
7=15
8=12
#Name of Band 9

9=10

;List of Olivia Mode names
[Modes]
#Number of modes defined

NumModes=4
#fldigi mode string for mode number 0
0=8-250
#fldigi mode string for mode number 1
1=8-500
#fldigi mode string for mode number 2
2=16-500
#fldigi mode string for mode number 3
3=32.1k

;160 Plan
[Plan.0]
#Band Number
Band=0
#For each Frequency, the entry is Dial Frequency, Passband Offset, Mode
0=1825400,1500,0
#set dial to 1,825,400Hz, fldigi demodulation centre to 1,500Hz passband offset, mode 16-500

1=1825400,1500,2

;80
[Plan.1]
Band=1
0=3581000,1500,0
1=3583000,1500,2

and so on for each band.

So using any text editor it's really simple to
a)  Specify the dial frequency and offset frequency for a specific mode for a specific band
b)  Specify the mode for a specific dial frequency and specify offset frequency for a specific band
c)  Define/Add new bands, eg 6M, 2M 70cm etc

I hope my explanation is clear enough for those who want to have a go at making changes, adding new entries, but as always, please make a copy of bandplans.txt first so that if you make a change and if stuff doesn't work you will have
a) Something to compare your changed bandlpans.txt against
b) Something to which you can revert your bandplans.txt if you want to do a "factory reset"

I designed olctl this way, so that as and when new bandplan(s) were devised and agreed (this is the really tough part of course !!) - even allowing for different regions/countries, I could place new bandplans.txt files up on the http://g8jcf.uk/olctl web site from which people could then download and install into their functioning olctl environment - most people don't really want to edit files, and also in order to gain & maintain the metcalfe affect, we don't want people fragmenting the bandplans as each person sees fit which would rather ruin the point of olctl. In a future release of olctl, I will probably make olctl load the bandplans.txt or equivalent from the olctl website directly at load time thus ensuring that for a given region (IARU?) there is consistency across each region of which frequency(s), mode(s) and offset(s) is/are in use for a given band. The really big deal would be if we could convince the developers of fldigi to make/accept changes to fldigi to directly implement this type of bandplans.txt idea into fldigi.

Anyway, I hope olctl helps the Olivia community establish "watering holes"  and thus provide some mitigation against the xx8/4 takeover, although I will admit that I find the new FAST and TURBO modes of JS8 extremely competitive with OL 16-500 and  and 32-1K but using only 80Hz and 160Hz bw respectively, JS8 gets thru when Olivia doesn't (in my experience only, others may have a different take). Personally I still prefer Olivia for serious rag-chewing probably because of the fldigi ui, but the amount of activity on JS8 far exceeds that of Olivia, and FT8/4 exceeds everything combined from what I see on the waterfall at almost any time of the day or night.

Hope this helps

Peter - GM8JCF