Topics

Centres of activity

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi,
I wonder if somebody could be so kind as to tell me where the Olivia activity is? I have been calling CQ for quite a bit using the suggested calling frequencies without a bite.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Bryan Page

I too find it frustrating to call CQ for long periods without a response,
both on Olivia and JS8Call, I can only assume they're on FT8?

73 Bryan M0IHY

In message <cshc.1598535558413776672.JLAx@groups.io>
"Guy G4DWV 4X1LT" <guy@drteeth.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,
I wonder if somebody could be so kind as to tell me where the Olivia
activity is? I have been calling CQ for quite a bit using the suggested
calling frequencies without a bite.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
--
Bryan Page

I’ve simply been calling CQ on the frequencies and exact parameters listed on this groups groups.io page.

de VE3EEI

--
Bryan Page

Eric

I hang around 14.106  My second receiver is constantly monitoring there.

I've picked up a couple of OLIVA QSO on 14.071 right near PSK31 Freqs.

FT8 .... YUK !  Like watching paint dry   🙂

ERIC
G4VZZ

--
Bryan Page

Bryan Page

That's exactly where I've been calling!

I find Olivia and JS8Call seem to be used more stateside than Europe, or
that's my experience anyhow. I've had 1 QSO JS8Call this year to Germany
and none on Olivia, more than likely it's the time of day I operate.

73 Bryan M0IHY

<bryanpage1=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I too find it frustrating to call CQ for long periods without a response,
both on Olivia and JS8Call, I can only assume they're on FT8?
73 Bryan M0IHY

In message <cshc.1598535558413776672.JLAx@groups.io>
          "Guy G4DWV 4X1LT" <guy@drteeth.co.uk> wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if somebody could be so kind as to tell me where the Olivia
activity is? I have been calling CQ for quite a bit using the suggested
calling frequencies without a bite.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT
--
Bryan Page

PF1JM

Have worked a couple of EU stations the last few days. Seen a couple more.
Was around 7043 - 7043.5
There sure is some Olivia activity in Europe, but not much.
I was hanging around 7041, doing some PSK31
I only found the Olivia signals because RSID was used.

I will be on 40 meters this evening, from about 1900 UTC

73, Jeroen PF1JM

Raul M0ZZM

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 02:39 PM, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:
I have been calling CQ for quite a bit using the suggested calling frequencies without a bite.
The best way to know where traffic is at any given time is to check https://hamspots.net. Reports from the last hour alone show traffic from England, USA, Pakistan, Russia, Lebanon, and Finland.

Eric

Hey Raul,

Sorry I lost you, lots of OLIVIA came up and got lost in all the RSID activity.

Seems to me that if you hang around 14.071 the PSK31 guys hear your RSID and switch over for a bit of OLIVIA fun. That then starts a bunch more acitivity.

73, Eric
G4VZZ

Raul M0ZZM

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 06:12 PM, Eric wrote:
Sorry I lost you, lots of OLIVIA came up and got lost in all the RSID activity.

Seems to me that if you hang around 14.071 the PSK31 guys hear your RSID and switch over for a bit of OLIVIA fun. That then starts a bunch more acitivity.
Hi Eric,

No worries, we can catch up again. Regarding the PSK users - yes it does happen from time to time and it's one of the reasons why I like that slot.

73 Raul M0ZZM

Jon <eastislandchief@...>

I've tried the various frequencies listed in one the threads on here and not been able to make any contacts until I was watching some psk guys around 14.071 and managed to have a qso with M0ZZM (Hi Raul) the QRM was awful that night but I've taken to monitoring around there and using hamspots and pouncing when I do see any spots or someone calling CQ

David Latour <ve4dla@...>

A few things occur to me: there are at least three different group sites, each espousing different calling freqs. Europeans expect to operate at different freqs than North Americans do, so it's hard to meet. The passband of most software is only 3000 Hz, so if you're farther away than that, there can be no meeting. Even with RSID, you have to be in the audio passband to be found.
BUT the real culprit is still our lazy sun. Olivia can record below the noise floor, but the noise is not the problem -  it's the lack  of power behind the signal after the first skip. Most is disappearing into space at the each incidence at the ionosphere and precious little gets refracted back to the surface at each bounce. All I can say is turn on the RSID both ways, and keep calling, keep listening. We ARE out there, and we ARE listening. When there are enough ions, we'll hear you.

Leo Bally

The first thing is simple to organise everybody should use the frequency that is updated automatically from GM8JCF

second about the sun. I am not so sure I still make contact over 8000 km and further with Ft8/FT4 WSPR

Leo Bally
OK8LEO
Stribrna Lhota 1021
Mnisek pod brdy
25210 Czech Republic

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 01:14 AM, David Latour wrote:
BUT the real culprit is still our lazy sun.
David,

Solar minimum means an overall lower level of propagation than we'd love to see, however there still is usable propagation and anyone can take advantage of it - so long as they operate on suitable frequencies and at the right time.

I promise I only have modest means, with horizontal antennas that are rarely resonant and about 7-8m (20-25ft) agl, or ground mounted verticals. I can confidently say that if I can do it, everyone can do it.

Dave_G0WBX

The first thing is simple to organise everybody should use the frequency that is updated automatically from GM8JCF

Take care with that, if you're a Linux user.

I had it totally trash an otherwise stable WINE subsystem, taking hours to untangle.   It's a Windows exe packaged with a ton of Mono (one of the Windows API translators for Linux.)

Cant help thinking why the source is not available to do a proper cross platform tool.

In any cases, you can add frequency/mode settings etc within Fldidi for instant recall anyway, so don't really see the need for the tool overall.

YMMV

73.
Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

David Latour <ve4dla@...>

Yes Leo, but those modes are far more sensitive than Olivia or PSK

Andy M0VVA

I try and monitor 14.071 on a regular basis but keep my eye on activity reported on Ham Spots which I find very useful.

Our club members try to meet up once or twice a week on both Olivia and JS8 typically on 20m and 40m and always use RSIDs when transmitting.  We coordinate between ourselves, using a Zoom conference to take some of the guesswork out, with active members across the U.K. and in Spain.  Always happy for non-members to join in - the more using the modes the better!

73
Andy M0VVA
Chairman, The Online Radio Club MX0ONL https://onlineradioclub.org

Greetings, fellow Olivia enthusiasts!

Well, I am moving.  I am moving from Nebraska to Ohio.  In Ohio, I will have better antenna options, so I might be heard better with my Olivia signals.  I can hope!

Regarding calling frequencies, I don't know of any other active group than us.  There *are* other websites with frequencies listed, but they are VERY out of date and have not been updated in years.  Our group (On Facebook and in this email via Groups dot io) is actively trying to figure out good calling frequencies for all regions.  I am in contact with the IARU and the digital working committee hoping that we can have a voice in ironing out a new Gentlemen's agreement on digital slices and modes.

Now, looking at https://hamspots.net - where you can self report, and see if others are reporting Olivia, I find self reporting of the following:

de M0VVA
Calling CQ 8/250
[age +12h] Aug-29 09:24utc
14073.00 kHz
OLIVIA
de M0VVA
Calling CQ 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-24 18:35utc
7042.50 kHz
OLIVIA
M0VVA de M0VVA
Calling CQ 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-24 16:49utc
14072.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de LW9DYQ
Calling CQ 20m
[age +23h] Aug-21 23:10utc
14072.50 kHz
OLIVIA8/250
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-19 04:13utc
7072.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 32/1K
[age +23h] Aug-18 11:57utc
14107.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-18 05:24utc
14073.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-18 04:08utc
7073.00 kHz
OLIVIA
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 16/500
[age +23h] Aug-18 03:53utc
7073.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 32/1K
[age +23h] Aug-14 17:04utc
14107.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de VK5RM
CQ de vk5rm
[age +23h] Aug-13 05:55utc
14106.70 kHz
OLIVIA 32/1K
de VK4PHD
CQ de vk4phd
[age +23h] Aug-12 07:25utc
14107.50 kHz
OLIVIA 32/1K
AJ8S de HB9HAE
hi Jim i copy you in the cottage
[age +23h] Aug-11 12:11utc
14107.50 kHz
OLIVIA
CQ de RK3DSW
CQ OLIVIA 8-250
[age +23h] Aug-07 20:12utc
7043.20 kHz
OLIVIA 8-250
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-01 17:19utc
14073.50 kHz
OLIVIA
de DG1RUG
CQ + RSID 8/250
[age +23h] Aug-01 17:05utc
14073.00 kHz
OLIVIA

And, spotted, I find:

Cluster Spots. [POST.SPOT]

8 Spots in last 4 hours

AgeDXFreqModeStCountrySpotter
32mAC6P14072.06OLIVIA 8CAUnited StatesW5ZIT
+1hWA0RIM14072.91OLIVIA‑8NEUnited StatesAC6P
+1hWA0RIM14072.91OLIVIA 8NEUnited StatesW5ZIT
+2hNR4A14072.81OLIVIA‑8FLUnited StatesAC6P
+3hK4SOL14072.50OLIVIA 8TNUnited StatesW5ZIT
+3hK4SOL14072.50OLIVIA‑8TNUnited StatesAC6P
+3hK4SOL14072.59OLIVIA 8TNUnited StatesNR4A
+3hVE7NBQ14072.50OLIVIA 8CanadaW5ZIT

I suggest that you report your operations, and also spot others when you hear them!

Some software will also report you and others, if you have the settings set.

And, INVITE YOUR FRIENDS!

We *can* make this a popular mode, again, with time, tenacity, and passion.

:)

Cheers and 73 for now

--

73 de NW7US dit dit
"Mind your dits and dahs and the spaces between elements and words; be consistent with those lengths!"

..

G8JCF

Hi Dave_G0WBX

I am really sorry and upset that you had a bad experience with olctl.

I would be most appreciative if you could supply more details about what happened to your Linux+WINE environment when you tried to install the olctl.deb and run olctl please.

I run olctl (and flrig, fldigi, js8call, wsjt-x etc) on an RPI4, ie Debian ARM64, into an IC 7200 and have never experienced any problems with olctl and MONO, but of course afaik WINE doesn't run on ARM Linux.

olctl is a pure platform neutral .NET application ie it contains no x86/x64 code or calls into the Windows APIs, eg Kernel.dll. Mono and the JIT compiler compiles the CIL into native ARM64 machine code at runtime and MONO provides the .NET runtime framework. There is no need for WINE, but it should co-exist peacefully alongside WINE.

So this morning in order to try and find out what went wrong for you, I cranked up my VMWare x64 Debian environment - Debian 9, 8 CPUs, 16MBytes RAM - and downlaoded the LINUX olctl.deb from the website and installed it as described. Of course since MONO is a dependency, MONO (for x86) was also installed. I started up olctl from the "Sound & Vision" launch menu entry and it worked correctly.

Next I installed WINE using sudo apt-get install wine; WINE was duly installed without any complaints.

I started up olctl from the Sound & Vision menu entry and again it ran correctly.

In a terminal I did ps aux

/bin/sh /usr/local/bin/olctl.sh    <--- This is the shell script run from the menu
mono ./g8jcf/olctl.exe

showing that olctl.exe is being run via MONO and nothing to do with WINE.

Next in a terminal I went to /usr/local/bin/g8jcf, and did chmod 755 olctl.exe - required because when one runs olctl from the menu, it is MONO which executes olctl.exe by reading it in and generating the ARM64 assembler hence no need for eXecute permissions.

Then in a terminal I typed ./olctl.exe

Now after doing ps aux I see

/usr/bin/cli ./olctl.exe

which is the MONO command line interpreter, again WINE is not involved.

Next I installed the Windows version of Notepad++ as a test of my WINE environment which resulted in a lot more parts of WINE required to be installed and then as if by magic Notepad++ was installed and opened up just like it does under Windows :-)

So then in a terminal I went to /usr/local/bin/g8jcf and I tried "wine ./olctl.exe" which resulted in

"wine: Install Mono for Windows to run .NET applications." message.

So I downloaded MONO for Windows from https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/#download-win

and tried to install the 32 bit version with "sudo wine misexec /i mono-6.10.0.104-gtksharp-2.12.45-win32-0.msi" but was informed that the installer would only work with Windows 7 or later.

So I downloaded the x64 version of MONO for Windows and tried to install it but received the message about Windows 7 and later etc.

I then used winecfg to set the Wine windows version to Windows 7 which then permitted me to install the 32 bit version of MONO for Windows using "sudo wine misexec /i mono-6.10.0.104-gtksharp-2.12.45-win32-0.msi" to execute and install MONO for windows under WINE.

Then I tried again to run olctl, ie in a terminal I went to /usr/local/bin/g8jcf and I tried "wine ./olctl.exe" which resulted in

"wine: Install Mono for Windows to run .NET applications." message.

I also installed the Windows version of olctl, which installed correctly, but when executed I received the

"wine: Install Mono for Windows to run .NET applications." message.

At this point, I gave up trying to get MONO for Windows working under WINE, if someone knows how-to, I would be most grateful if they could let me know.

I then rechecked that olctl still worked correctly from the Sound & Vision launch menu, and it did despite all the changes I had applied to the system.

I also checked that notepad++ still fired up correctly under WINE which it did.

Finally, you make the comment "Cant help thinking why the source is not available to do a proper cross platform tool.", .NET is a proper cross-platform tool, the days of .NET being a Windows only Microsoft controlled/only environment/framework are long gone. .NET itself is now completely open source, and MONO has always been open source.

Once again, I would be most appreciative if you could supply more details about what happened to your Linux+WINE environment when you tried to install the olctl.deb and run olctl please.

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Bryan Page

Just to clarify, I run octl on a Pi4 running Buster and a TS590SG, it
works perfectly.

73 Bryan M0IHY

In message <18858.1598876261934711437@groups.io>
"G8JCF" <g8jcfsdr@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Spotting networks are great to know where people are, but doesn't mean you can work them. On the 28/29th of August I was spotted several times by G8LZI but I found no UK or EU signals to work those days, and none answered my CQs but North Americans. Keep calling CQ and eventually you will find people. I saw more signals on Saturday than on any other day in August.
And G8LZI only found my morning calls (13-15Z) not my evening calls.