A new chat has been created:

anybody?

View/Join This Chat

Todd AL7PX

A new chat has been created:

anybody around today?

View/Join This Chat

Bruce Hymon

I will be around today. What mode, freq on 30m and when?
Bruce H8CJM

Jim Falls

It works!
I may be on after 0300 UTC if it’s a quiet evening at home, hihi!

Jim Falls K6FWT

On Nov 8, 2019, at 06:43, Todd AL7PX via Groups.Io <ic7461@...> wrote:

A new chat has been created:

Anybody around?

View/Join This Chat

Raul M0ZZM

I'm on 10142.90 kHz now. I will be here for 20 minutes or so, but deep asleep at 0300 Z

Eugene Crist

Bruce - Just got home so I'm getting on now. I'll call CQ using 8-500 around 10.143 - just north of the FT-8 crowd. I was planning to hop on earlier but got delayed. Hope to see you on the waterfall soon.

Gene (KB3ONA)

Bruce Hymon

By the time I saw the prior replies, it was several hours late. Maybe consider a different approach.

I have noted that JS8 Call is generally clear on 30m. We want to communicate and find each other. Consider getting on JS8Call on 30 meters and leaving an ALLCALL message or even an Olivia group message. Anyone monitoring the band would see the message, and others could note the message as long as their computer was on the JS8Call 30m segment. Advantages would be standard RADIO - not internet group - area to look for contacts. This would help preserve the 30m JS8Call segment and stimulate use of Olivia on 30m. I find it takes just a few seconds to quit JS8Call and launch FLDigi. If someone had a separate antenna, might even be able ot use Rasp Pi and SDR to monitor both at the same time.

General point is that JS8Call could be our message board rather than groups.io. This would work for off grid stations as well

We don’t even need agreement. All it would take would be someone to leave ALLCALL message and see what happens.

One downside is that JS8Call is very quiet on 30m so we would need some ops monitoring to make this work. Most of JS8Call is on 40m and then 20m during the day.

Remember we are radio operators and want to learn how to effectively communicate. We try to use each mode to its best features. JS8Call is great at messaging

Thanks for listening
Bruce K8CJM

Raul M0ZZM

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 04:18 PM, Bruce Hymon wrote:
We don’t even need agreement. All it would take would be someone to leave ALLCALL message and see what happens.
This method replaces the web as a medium for locating stations operating on any given frequency/band (by the way, I find that monitoring hamspots.net tends to yield a good Olivia contact in most cases) with a proprietary platform that is incompatible with Olivia.

Then the next logical step would be to replace the incompatible platform with a simple CQ call on 30m by using the RSID so that any station able to receive that signal can decode the transmission at once.

As I am typing this message, by using this method I just managed to get a contact with a station in Serbia during the usual RTTY contest storm on 40m. On 30m, where the band is pretty much silent, this method is simple and very effective. All the other added frills are just redundant - it really just boils down to tune the radio and call CQ.

Raul M0ZZM

Todd AL7PX

I will be on today @ 0100 UTC time Nov.11 freq. 1014.14 dial
8/250 mode
I will call CQ for at least 30 minutes for anybody looking to get on 30 meters.
My QRZ email is good too.

Todd Hansen
AL7PX

Raul M0ZZM

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 04:29 PM, Todd AL7PX wrote:
I will be on today @ 0100 UTC time Nov.11
Todd,

I tried to make it but I arrived too late (at about 0140 UTC); besides, the band sounded a bit dead this side of the planet. I also tried to find you about one hour ago as I saw your call in hamspots.net but failed (I was probably late). The good news however is that I was detected by by WA7IJV in Oregon, whch isn't exactly near you but makes me feel optimistic.

I'll keep hovering around 10142.9 kHz whenever I have a chance - which for the remainder of this week means sporadically between 1900 and 0030 UTC.

Todd AL7PX

Hi Raul:
Ok about trying to hear me. Yes, I had no replies and called for 30 minutes. I think I saw your call on Hamspots. I will be getting on again this afternoon same time. 0100 UTC Nov. 13. Same frequency 10.1414 @1500HZ. I will be calling till 0130 UTC. This time for me seems to be good since I can hear WWV in Hawaii as well as Colorado. During Grey line. This is a good time for me after work also. I always check 30 meters at the calling frequency.
Todd
AL7PX