Topics

Unleash the power of DX in Olivia mode! #Olivia #Promotion

Raul M0ZZM

Another flyer for perusal...

Raul M0ZZM

Nigel

Very cool!  Thumbs up for sure :-)

Now all I need to do is repair my radios (both IC751 and FT857)...

73

Nigel

ZS6RN - ex G8DEV

G8JCF

Hi Raul

Really great to have a QSO with you last night 100% copy.

Re your flyer, I need some help, I was under the impression that 3581.4 was the dial frequency on 80, but the flyer says 3571.4. I've been copying Olivia activity up around 3580~3583, whereas around 3573~3576 there is masses of FT8

Is there an "official" Olivia calling frequency on 80 ?

Once again, thank you for all your help in getting me going with Olivia :)

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Raul M0ZZM

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 06:40 PM, G8JCF wrote:
Really great to have a QSO with you last night 100% copy.
Hi Peter,

It was a pleasure indeed and I hope we'll catch up again soon - I may be able to fire up the radio again tomorrow evening or, failing that, the weekend will surely offer opportunities.

In regard to the frequencies, I took them from the documents stored in this newsgroup (the same table is also in Wikipedia). Thank goodness you prompted me to check, I noticed that the 17m frequency was wrong and I now corrected the error. New file attached.

However not all users are part of this newsgroup or its Facebook sister, so some Olivia and other MFSK-operating stations can be found on nearby data/digital slots. For example in Europe you'll find that most of the 40m stations tend to hover around 7142 (centre) in the early evening as the 7070-7074 range is often occupied by SSB phone stations. The 7070 area normally clears after 2300 UTC. On 80m the traffic will likely be around 3582 as that is where most of the PSK activity is located. That said, the 3572.9 frequency on 80m is usually clear (if your radio has an IF DSP, just notch-out the adjacent FT8 signals) and I had some success there.

I hope this helps.

Raul M0ZZM

G8JCF

Hi Raul

I've read some of the earlier posts about Olivia frequencies, and I understand the problem better.

I think the reason that FT8 works so well is that the software, WSJT/X, automatically sets the frequency for each band, so people being people, they(we) just accept what has been set and away we go.

Now if FLDIGI was to do the same thing when someone selects Olivia, ie that would create a de-facto frequency standards for Olivia, and people would just fall into the habit of using using the de-facto frequencies. Also because so many people would be using FLDIGI, the message to other modes would be to define their de-facto set of frequencies - does FLDIGI have an Operating Mode to Frequencies Table in an external file ?

I feel that the IARU needs to have a SIG who should be able to define de-facto frequencies for each of the digital modes - messy and long drawn out process but International agreements always are :)

Anyway in the absence of that, I guess we'll just have to figure it out on the fly.

Take care

Peter - GM8JCF

Horace

Peter that is already in FLdigi. Just under frequency there is a small button called OPEN LIST when you hover over it. If you push it a new menu opens in space for log. Tune to any band, mode, frequency, ETC...  you like. Hit the plus sign and it is added to the list. in order of frequency. Any time you high lite the setting and hit the arrow. Everything is set automatically assuming you have rig control. Very easy once you get the hand of it. 73 de KI5WA - Trey

[...]

Peter:

You asked,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:40 PM G8JCF <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:

Is there an "official" Olivia calling frequency on 80 ?

There's been a fair amount of discussion (see the links below for WHERE we are discussing) on calling frequencies.

Based on concensus among us active folks, we came up with a suggestion.  It is outlined in short, here:

Note that these are CALLING suggestions.  And, the 80-meter and the 40-meter frequencies may change, soon.  I've been gathering the notes about issues folks are expressing, and I think some changes may be warranted to this list.

Also, this PDF is a graphic here:

Note that if you go to  http://oliviadigitalmode.net that there is a Files and a Pictures area, where references are found.

The basic intro about Olivia is here:

Now, in Ham Radio Delux, in the DM780, I can set up a list of frequencies per mode.  I think FLDigi has the same.

73 de NW7US

Paul:  I've uploaded your v1.1 flyer to the website.  I'll get it on Facebook, soon, too.  Great flyer!  Thank you.

Tomas / NW7US

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 5:16 PM Raul M0ZZM <m0zzm@...> wrote:

In regard to the frequencies, I took them from the documents stored in this newsgroup (the same table is also in Wikipedia). Thank goodness you prompted me to check, I noticed that the 17m frequency was wrong and I now corrected the error. New file attached.

I meant, Raul, but my fingers typed a P.  My apologies.

--
Thank you,
Tomas David Hood - NW7US

“For me, great algorithms are the poetry of computation. Just like verse, they can be terse, allusive, dense, and even mysterious. But once unlocked, they cast a brilliant new light on some aspect of computing. ” — Francis Sullivan

“An algorithm must be seen to be believed.” — Donald Knuth

Twitter:   https://Twitter.com/NW7US (@NW7US)
Google+    http://nw7us.us/+

The information contained in this communication is confidential, proprietary, and intended for the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication or unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and DO NOT ACT UPON, FORWARD, COPY, OR OTHERWISE DISSEMINATE IT OR ITS CONTENT

G8JCF

Hi Horace

That was subtle :) I'm of the school of software engineers that end-users should not have to RTFM, IMHO that shows a lack of good design for the intended user.

I was hoping that the act of selecting an "Op Mode" and setting a band would automatically set the Frequency to the "correct base frequency" for that specific mode, eg for Olivia + 80m Freq would be set to 3850.

Thanks once again

Peter - GM8JCF

Al Bruce / NZ2V

Could not agree more. The center frequency vs dial frequency anomaly is confusing for we non techie types.

Al

On Thursday, November 15, 2018, 5:20:15 PM EST, G8JCF <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:

Hi Horace

That was subtle :) I'm of the school of software engineers that end-users should not have to RTFM, IMHO that shows a lack of good design for the intended user.

I was hoping that the act of selecting an "Op Mode" and setting a band would automatically set the Frequency to the "correct base frequency" for that specific mode, eg for Olivia + 80m Freq would be set to 3850.

Thanks once again

Peter - GM8JCF

Yeah, new-to-me digital modes can have confusing aspects to learn. But, once learned, it becomes second nature.

73 de NW7US

..

Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.

If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy.

-- Donald Knuth

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018, 08:54 Al Bruce via Groups.Io <garbageingarbageout=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Could not agree more. The center frequency vs dial frequency anomaly is confusing for we non techie types.

Al

On Thursday, November 15, 2018, 5:20:15 PM EST, G8JCF <g8jcfsdr@...> wrote:

Hi Horace

That was subtle :) I'm of the school of software engineers that end-users should not have to RTFM, IMHO that shows a lack of good design for the intended user.

I was hoping that the act of selecting an "Op Mode" and setting a band would automatically set the Frequency to the "correct base frequency" for that specific mode, eg for Olivia + 80m Freq would be set to 3850.

Thanks once again

Peter - GM8JCF

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Not if the dial frequency is placed before the centre frequency ;-). That is much more intuitive.

Hope the house move is going FB.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

N S

Great flyer.  Thanks for putting that up on the site.

It would be nice to start including 6 and 2 meter operation in any of the frequency charts.  I know 6 isn't open very often, but when it is, it's certainly a lot of fun.

2 meters is quite local, but who knows.  If there were some published frequencies, maybe folks would have a place to meet for nets, drills and 2m fun.

Thanks again

Norm

Copying M0ZZM in QSO with SV9RMU right now...

VE3EEI

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 3:11:03 p.m. EST, Raul M0ZZM <m0zzm@...> wrote:

Another flyer for perusal...

Raul M0ZZM

Raul M0ZZM

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 11:30 PM, Paul wrote:
Copying M0ZZM in QSO with SV9RMU right now...
Hi Paul,

I saw you yesterday calling CQ. Sorry I had to shut down as it was very late and needed some sleep. Keep monitoring 14072.90 kHz, I normally call on that slot with my TX RSID active.

Raul M0ZZM

Bry Carling AF4K

I just had a nice QSO on Olivia with Josue, TI2OZP on 40m.
7071.140 kHz
Plus 1500 Hz audio, comes out to 7072.64 kHz.

Did FL-DIGI and FL-RIG do something funky or was it me?

Tough to get those two to start together now for some reason also..... shrug!

Brian "Bry" Carling, AF4K / G3xLQ