Topics

Current Calling Frequencies (for finding each other when signals are weak) #Olivia #OliviaChannels #Promotion

OUR CURRENT (2018) SUGGESTED OLIVIA CALLING AND LISTENING FREQUENCIES

These are suggested frequencies on which can be found WEAK (i.e., a signal that you cannot hear, a signal not seen on the waterfall) Olivia signals.  While it is easier to spot an Olivia signal anywhere on the waterfall, by using calling frequencies once and a while, you will enable us to find your signal when it is too weak to hear and too faint to see on the waterfall.  Olivia can do well with weak signals.  Yes, 8/250 is SLOW.  But, it is one of the better settings when attempting to decode very weak signals.  Once you make contact, you can move up or down a bit, away from the calling frequency, and then change to 16/500 to make the conversation go faster.  But, on a calling frequency, it is advisable to configure operations in such a way as to increase the likelihood that you will find and decode that weak signal.

In the following list, CENTER is where you place the center of the software's cursor, and click to select that center frequency on the waterfall. If you use the DIAL frequency from this list, then click 1500 Hz offset up the waterfall (1500 Hz to the RIGHT of the LEFT side of the waterfall, if your waterfall is oriented horizontally with the lowest frequency on the left). This results in the software and transceiver being correctly tuned for the CENTER frequency.

The listing shows CENTER, then DIAL, then the number of tones and the bandwidth.

CENTER - DIAL (Tones/Bandwidth)
1.8269 - 1.8254 (8/250)
3.5729 - 3.5714 (8/250)
7.0729 - 7.0714 (8/250)
10.1429 - 10.1414 (8/250)
14.0729 - 14.0714 (8/250)
14.1075 - 14.106 (16/1000)
18.1029 - 18.1014 (8/250)
21.0729 - 21.0714 (8/250)
24.9229 - 24.9214 (8/250)
28.1229 - 28.1214 (8/250)

and so on.

REMEMBER THAT IF YOU USE THE DIAL FREQUENCY (THE SECOND FREQUENCY PER ROW), SET YOUR WATERFALL CENTER AT 1500 Hz)

ALSO:  If your software is able to decode/encode the Reed-Solomon Identification signals (RSID), please turn on both received and transmit RSID.  An example is shown in the following video, which demonstrates enabling RSID in a popular software suite:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBIacwD9nNM

Please share this everywhere possible, as part of our effort to rekindle the love for our conversational mode, Olvia.

73 de NW7US

..

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Tomas,
I wonder if you would be so kind as to consider a suggestion for your frequency list?

That is to swap the dial and centre frequencies around. The reason being that it is conventional to write the higher frequency on the right of the lower. Plus, on our waterfalls, the centre frequency is to the right of the dial frequency, being higher. Finally, dial + shift = centre, so it would follow the placing in the maths.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Guy,

I certainly see your point.  I'll work on that after I get finished with moving from my current place in Omaha, Nebraska, to my new home that I sign papers for, tomorrow.  I move this weekend.  That means sometime next week or weekend I can get to editing.  The reasoning behind placing the CENTER on the left of the listing is that I wanted to make each center frequency prominent.  I think that folks need to think about the ACTUAL frequency center on which they are transmitting.  The dial frequency is misleading when talking about a digital mode.  I'll discuss more, later.

73 for now,

Tomas / NW7US

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 4:16 AM Guy G4DWV 4X1LT <guy@...> wrote:
Tomas,
I wonder if you would be so kind as to consider a suggestion for your frequency list?

That is to swap the dial and centre frequencies around. The reason being that it is conventional to write the higher frequency on the right of the lower. Plus, on our waterfalls, the centre frequency is to the right of the dial frequency, being higher. Finally, dial + shift = centre, so it would follow the placing in the maths.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Edited

Tomas,

Good luck with your move.

The thing is, one needs to know the dial frequency first as the centre frequency is referenced to that.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Bry Carling AF4K

Correct, Guy.  That makes it a LOT easier.