Topics

20 Metres quite active today

Eric

14.106.5 nice and active today  :-)

China coming through to UK !

Who's up and about on here ?

Been a bit quiet on this group since 19th

Eric

Jim

Olivia 8/250?

On 11/26/20 9:02 AM, Eric wrote:
14.106.5 nice and active today  :-)

China coming through to UK !

Who's up and about on here ?

Been a bit quiet on this group since 19th

Eric

Eric

32/1000

Jim

Ahhh...no wonder.   It sounded like you had RFID on which is great but for some reason it wasn't coming up at my end.

I never thought of 32/1000

Maybe next time....

73 Jim W1JT

On 11/26/20 12:53 PM, Eric wrote:
32/1000

Eric

Now active on 3.582

16/500

Eric
G4VZZ

Eric

Jim,

I make sure I'm on USB for data modes or my RSID receive doesn't seem to work.

As for shift, I assume you don't have a transceiver with a scope, otherwise you can see the shift on the screen. Then only try with the modes that have that shift.

Eric

Jim

Makes sense, thanks Eric

On 11/26/20 5:37 PM, Eric wrote:
Jim,

I make sure I'm on USB for data modes or my RSID receive doesn't seem to work.

As for shift, I assume you don't have a transceiver with a scope, otherwise you can see the shift on the screen. Then only try with the modes that have that shift.

Eric

Jim Irving

Hello, Kia Ora Eric,

I am getting more and more confused as to the correct frequencies that should be used.  The last printout I received just a month or two ago from a 'ham' who is trying his very best to find a spot for those of us keen on Olivia ( Sorry I have forgotten his name and call sign but he does a lot for Amateur radio NU7US?).  So I have been constantly on or about 14.073 or on 15 meters.  K5ZIT kindly spots me but have not been able to hook anyone for weeks.

Have we now moved to 14.106 or there-abouts now? I know it would be a very good move and there was talk about i

I'd be very keen to know where we are supposed to be, as I don't want to tread on others toes.

All the best to Olivia members where-ever you may be, we here in Aotearoa/New Zealand hope to meet you all soon as the sunspots fire-up now.

73' s Jim ZL2BMH.

--
*Amateur Radio Station: ZL2BMH*

Dave_G0WBX

Hi Jim, from the UK.

Yes, HF quite busy today.

14.073 is usually wall to wall loud FT8 etc, while 14.106 is CW territory of course, especially at weekends.

That's the problem, what might be quiet slots on one side of the planet, are anything but elsewhere, & as the propagation shifts with the sun's position over time, that makes it even more difficult to hookup.

Couple that, with people who do not know how, or just wont use the automatic RSID features of Fldig and MultiPSK, and it's almost impossible to successfully make a QSO by random calling.   Some on the low bands too use LSB, and that screws RSID totally, with Fldigi at least.

Having said that, there is a well known Ham in Ozz, who is often audible here in the morning on 20m, about 4/3 at best (phone.)   Never worked him, not enough power or good enough antenna for these low sunspot count times.

(Though I can get spotted using WSPR in Ozz and NZ at times.)

As for them Sunspots.  Don't count your chickens yet.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

From: Jim Irving
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 14:03:52 PST

Hello, Kia Ora Eric,

[...]

Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi Jim,
Try out olctl from http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/index.htm
If everybody uses it, it will make it easier to find each other. A new version should be out soon with many fixes and tweaks.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Robert Allbright

Thanks Guy
helps me too
73
Rob
G3RCE

On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 23:10, Guy G4DWV 4X1LT <guy@...> wrote:
Hi Jim,
Try out olctl from http://www.g8jcf.uk/olctl/index.htm
If everybody uses it, it will make it easier to find each other. A new version should be out soon with many fixes and tweaks.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

--
Sent from my
iPhone 11

Dave_G0WBX

Not every Fldigi user uses Windows.

And yes I've tried, but installing any other version of Mono, other than that brought in with WINE Stable, just brings down the entire system, needing a forced reboot.

Currently Mint 19.3 LTS 64bit, on either of two Intel based machines (i7 Dell laptop, ror i5 HP desktop.)

Both machines otherwise very stable.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi Dave,
Do contact the developer. He is very helpful indeed. IIRC from some recent correspondence with him, he did not want to code for the latest versions of .Net as that would cause certain problems with Mono.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

G8JCF

Hi Dave

Did U see this post https://groups.io/g/Olivia/topic/olctl_v_2_3_released/76642492?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,76642492
which shows how to install olctl on Mint64 using Wine, ie NOT the .deb + MONO route.

73

Peter - GM8JCF

Dave_G0WBX

Yes.

It results in a bricked WINE installation that brings the machine(s) to a halt with the CPU fan in turbo mode!  Needing a hard power cycle to reboot.

73.

Dave

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

G8JCF

I guess that I must have been lucky with my Mint x64 + Wine configuration.

73

Peter

Dave_G0WBX

Hello Peter.

One thing I've learnt with Linux, is even the same distro on different machines can behave subtly different.

I might try it on a test machine that has Mint 20 64 bit at the moment, just to see...  (That has the MATE desktop, as opposed to Cinnamon on the two Mint 19 machines.)

Currently, I'm going round in circles working to capture USB based RS232 port traffic with Wireshark!

It's fiddly in the extreme.  Lots of info on the web, but like many things Linux, most of it very out of date.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open source software:

G8JCF

Hi Dave

I hadn't appreciated that aspect re Linux behaviour on different machines.

It'll be interesting to see what happend on your test machine.

I never knew Wireshark could capture RS232 traffic, be great to let us know how U get it to work. Would be a useful tool for when I do embedded MCU work being able to monitor the serial port traffic between the host and the target board - I have a protocol analyser box, but it would be so  much easier if Wireshark could do it directly.

73

Peter