SOTA - VK1 Winter QSO Party Sunday 7 Aug 22 #sotaactivationplans

Andrew VK1AD

The VK1 Winter QSO party will be held on Sunday 7 Aug 22 from 9 am local (2300 UTC).

All VK and ZL SOTA/Parks activators and chasers are welcome to join in on this event.

Regards

Andrew VK1AD

Bill VK1MCW

Thanks Andrew. I have posted an alert for VK2/ST-001, Mt Cowangerong for the VK1 Winter QSO Party. Four years since I was last up there.   Yep, drive up! I now have a 2012 Nissan Xtrail T31 Turbo Diesel.....auto.. that should get me out and about a bit more!   I know it's history well..(family vehicle)..so hopefully it will eat up most of the drive-ups...

Bill
VK1MCW

Andrew VK1DA

I have secured permission to activate Castle Hill AC-032 south of Tuggeranong Town centre via Booroomba Rd.  The land line number I had for property owner John Hyles returned a “disconnected” message from Optus but the mobile number went to him directly and he readily gave me permission for next Sunday.

I didn’t explicitly ask whether it was ok for multiple activators to go there, but I’m assuming that is reasonable.  So if any other activators would like to join me on this adventure, speak up.  I will probably overnight at Waramanga on Saturday night and set out for the trailhead at about 7:30am Sunday.

The climb is about the same as Mt Taylor from the south side.  The hill is covered in sheep poo, don’t bring your best runners.  Despite my best efforts last time, I stepped in a few lumps…   It’s about 30-40 mins for me from the car to the summit.  Aiming for 9am on air.

After Castle Hill I will aim to activate something else, not sure what- many parks options and even HEMA summits.

Who else is able to stagger up a summit next sunday?

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

--
Andrew VK1DA Sent from Gmail Mobile

Wal VK2WP

Not many alerts up but will venture out to Mt Lambie. Weather a bit iffy.

73's, Wal

Andrew

well I was going to try and go up Mt Skanzi however on Sunday the superbikes are on, and Peter Gerrey has sold the hill and I'm still trying to contact the new owner.
so i'm going to find something to walk up on Saturday instead. maybe a long drive to Mt Cowangerong, or a short drive and a walk to Cambewarra Trig (Browns Mountain IL-009)

hope the Sunday goes well

andrew
vk2pez

Wal VK2WP

Regretfully am cancelling my Sunday activation. Rain and wind on the way and in any case the recent rains have turned unsealed roads into quagmires.

73's Wal VK2WP

Andrew VK1DA

Hi Wal,

It’s been a very wet winter so nothing is as it normally was.

Thanks for letting us know.

I’m going to re-assess my situation in the morning.  Have had a “head cold” and time will tell whether it vanishes overnight or does something else.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2DA

--
Andrew VK1DA Sent from Gmail Mobile

Bill VK1MCW

Wal - An understandable call,  and while my new SOTA chariot is all ready with new  Coopers ATs all round,  I will also re-assess in the morning... and possibly not until I get to the fire trail....  More showers forecast tomorrrow - just like today - so the tracks will not have had a chance to dry out.. And... I am not keen in operating in the rain even if the track is navigable..

73  Bill VK1MCW

Andrew

yeah looks like the forecast has changed from fine all weekend, to reasonable chance of showers.

wasn't too bad down here, a little chilly on the summit but not too bad. conditions good enough to get to vk1ma, Matt, and vk1da, Andrew, who are usually inside the skip zone, also vk2io, Gerard who is usually on the edge of the zone and hard to make contact. vk5pas, Paul was also easily readable.

i was feeling my age when i got to the top, and the usual "why is it taking so long" before contacts started to come in. i forgot how long it takes to drive to the base of the climb. i emailed my club and said i was also going to operate fm, and left the bloody handheld in the car.

10 contacts.  a bit of a chinwag with the first, vk2mcl, Steve, who was qrp in Nowra. we were probably line of sight. then the usual suspects who know about keeping it short and sweet for people operating portable and getting a little chilly on top of a hill.

thankyou Steve, Matt, Gerard, Lee, Peter, Ray, Paul, Andrew, Peter, Geoff.

i hope that those who get out for the party tomorrow have a successful day

regards
andrew
vk2pez

On Saturday, 6 August 2022 at 06:58:55 pm AEST, Bill VK1MCW <bill.vk1mcw@...> wrote:

Wal - An understandable call,  and while my new SOTA chariot is all ready with new  Coopers ATs all round,  I will also re-assess in the morning... and possibly not until I get to the fire trail....  More showers forecast tomorrrow - just like today - so the tracks will not have had a chance to dry out.. And... I am not keen in operating in the rain even if the track is navigable..

73  Bill VK1MCW

Wal VK2WP

A couple of photos of the mud wallows on the road to Mt Coricudgy. I did not even attempt to drive through these as just chopping up roads that local people have to use.
In any case a 99% chance of being bogged in any case so turned back.

This is not the only place I have been to recently and found country back roads damaged by heavy rains and flood waters.

Will have to wait for drier weather.

73's, Wal