Replacement for threaded base cap on Squid poles #sotaequipment #gear

Mal White

Hi All,
Like many of you, I have 2x7m and 2x10m squid poles that a bought from Haverfords a few years ago. They have all served me well and been money well spent. I've been lucky and not broken any of them, at least not to the point of them not being usable.

However I have seen the threaded cap on all of them collapse and break over time. Not surprising really given the hammering they get if the pole collapses in an uncontrolled manner or if the inner poles slide back and forth while walking along.

I've even made a habit of wrapping the base in gaffer tape to give it some external strength, but that only works for so long.

I wonder if anyone has found some way of making some sort of replacment??

I saw another post from Andrew, VK1DA, saying he asked Haverfords if they could help, but got no reply. I'm not surprised as I'd be amazed if they don't import them in bulk.

I'm thinking of looking at end caps for PCV pipe and just gaffer taping that in place. But maybe there's a better solution. Better than replacing the entire pole anyway.

Keen to hear ideas and learn from other experiance.

Thanks.

Malcolm
VK3OAK

Andrew VK1DA

Malcolm,

I have found that inserting some shock absorbing material above the end cap protects it from damage.  Otherwise when the pole sections collapse  they hit the bottom cap heavily enough to damage it. Obviously it is better if you never have a collapse. Make sure the sections are all clean and smooth, and erect poles so that they are not perfectly vertical.

I understand that one of the Australian clubs ordered a bulk lot of poles and extra end caps for repairs.  If Haverfords are able to supply a set of spare end caps with each box of poles, it would be prudent for clubs to do that as a matter of course.  I don't know what the price per cap is.

Andrew vk1da/2uh

Philip Clancy

Hi all

My end-cap disintegrated many year ago. Ended up getting a chair cup pack of 4 from Bunnings (sure they’re available at other hardware stores) to fit the end

Have them on both ends (lost the top cap) and glued the base cap on with red liquid electrical goo (so I can tell which end is which)   Have also placed something sponge/ foam to protect against the dreaded collapse

IMHO - a better solution to the threaded cap

Cheers Phil VK2JDL

Rik Head

I suggest some very heavy duty foam in the bottom to reduce the sudden collapse shock - also I have large-size shrink with a cord loop on the bottom that I use on my assortment of squid poles. The cord loop allows them to be physically attached to my pack with a clip and not lost in transit. I also shock cord connect the the top plug so it does not get lost

Rik VK3EQ

--
Rik
| E rik.head@...
| M +61 419 888 254

Andrew

Clarke Rubber also has a good selection of endcaps. You can also pick up some foam rubber for base cushioning there.
Andrew 1MBE

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 4:56 pm, Rik Head <rik.head@...> wrote:
I suggest some very heavy duty foam in the bottom to reduce the sudden collapse shock - also I have large-size shrink with a cord loop on the bottom that I use on my assortment of squid poles. The cord loop allows them to be physically attached to my pack with a clip and not lost in transit. I also shock cord connect the the top plug so it does not get lost

Rik VK3EQ

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 16:30, Philip Clancy <pclancy64@...> wrote:

Hi all

My end-cap disintegrated many year ago. Ended up getting a chair cup pack of 4 from Bunnings (sure they’re available at other hardware stores) to fit the end

Have them on both ends (lost the top cap) and glued the base cap on with red liquid electrical goo (so I can tell which end is which)   Have also placed something sponge/ foam to protect against the dreaded collapse

IMHO - a better solution to the threaded cap

Cheers Phil VK2JDL

--
Rik
| E rik.head@...
| M +61 419 888 254

Mal White

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas.

Cheers.

Mal
VK3OAK

Willian. Direction

My outer largest section has a split in the section from being squashed in a rock pile out on a windy summit.
I found a plastic health pill container that fitted nicely over section 2 of the same pole and 100 mph grey tape to hold it on, not ever using the thin top section my SOTA pole it now had become a 7 m pole which is much lighter without the largest bottom section being used. I found an olive oil bottle plastic cap and modified it to become the top cap for my pole. I recon I have lost about 5 top caps from my Squid poles over the 8 years of SOTA hiking through the bush.
Regards
Ian vk5cz ..

Bernard Kates VK2IB

I too put a good wad of foam in the bottom, inside the screw-on end cap, to act as a shock absorber if the pole suddenly telescopes down, which it has done once or twice.  The foam did the job.  Pole came down with a thump, foam took the shock, no damage at all.

Unfortunately that sort of plastic foam doesn't last long.  It goes crumbly and disintegrates, in which state it's useless.  If you use such foam I'd recommend replacing it once or twice a year.

And, the plastic end cap on the pole will expire from other causes, as Malcolm says.  So far mine has split but not completely fractured, so it's still on the pole and reinforced with a good layer of gaffer tape.

I carry the pole around in a fishing pole bag acquired from BCF.  I've found that pretty good for protecting it from damage in transit and it has a shoulder strap so it's easy to carry hands-free.  I wouldn't take it on a long hike, but I've carried it alongside my backpack up hills such as The Twins VK3/VE-017 which is a good steep climb no matter which way you go up.

73

Bernard VK2IB