Activation alert for Wednesday 12th Feb at 0000UTC #sotaactivationplans

Tim Price G4YBU <tim@...>

I’m planning an activation for this Wednesday of Knuckle Hill ZL3/TM-265. I’ll use preferred frequencies if clear of 7.032, 10.119, 14.062 for cw and 7.090, 14.310 for ssb. Please listen out for me and spot me if you hear me as I may not have phone sigs. TU de Tim ZL/G4YBU 

Compton

Hi Tim,
Good chance I will be on a summit in N NSW (VK2) on Wed AM. I'll look out for you as a S2S would be nice, though I have been listening out on spots for the ZL crew have had up for the last few week and I rarely hear anythng. I'm SSB only. Hopefully I can get my alert up tonight.
--
Compton
VK2HRX

Hi Compton,
Thanks, we’ll have to try and make that work! 
How much power will you be running? 
I’ll be QRP with 5w. 20m would be the best band to VK2 I would think. I’ll take my RF speech clipper microphone as it gives a few extra dB of talk-power. 
Failing that are you ok with QRSS CW, just for the callsign and report exchange?
Are you likely to be postIng spot updates - if I can get on the internet I’ll look out for your alert and spots. 
Fingers crossed!
73 Tim G4YBU 

On 10 Feb 2020, at 19:53, Compton <comptonallen@...> wrote:

Hi Tim,
Good chance I will be on a summit in N NSW (VK2) on Wed AM. I'll look out for you as a S2S would be nice, though I have been listening out on spots for the ZL crew have had up for the last few week and I rarely hear anythng. I'm SSB only. Hopefully I can get my alert up tonight.
--
Compton
VK2HRX

Compton

Tim,
I'll have an FT 857D so 100W with an 80/40/20 dipole. I'll also have VK2KXN with me, hopefully he remembers CW from when he did the test last century, so he can be the CW receiver. .
Hopefully I can spot. I'll be on Bowra Sugarloaf, VK2/MN-023.

Compton
VK2HRX

VK1MA Matt

Hi Tim, will be in roughly the same area, but probably not going to be able to work you as I think we are going to be canoeing around the Abel Tasman on Wednesday. Will have the 2m HT with me, but not holding much hope of finding a path your way.

ZL/VK1MA

From: OZSOTA@groups.io <OZSOTA@groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Price G4YBU
Sent: Monday, 10 February 2020 5:15 PM
To: OZSOTA@groups.io
Subject: [OZSOTA] Activation alert for Wednesday 12th Feb at 0000UTC #sotaactivationplans

I’m planning an activation for this Wednesday of Knuckle Hill ZL3/TM-265. I’ll use preferred frequencies if clear of 7.032, 10.119, 14.062 for cw and 7.090, 14.310 for ssb. Please listen out for me and spot me if you hear me as I may not have phone sigs. TU de Tim ZL/G4YBU 

Hi Matt,
Great, were overnighting in Takaka if you’re in the area?
I’ll take my 2m antenna and we can try. Will you be monitoring 146.500? There’s a repeater up there I think which might be a good way to establish initial contact. 
73 Tim ZL/G4YBU 

On 11 Feb 2020, at 00:04, VK1MA Matt <doormatt@...> wrote:

Hi Tim, will be in roughly the same area, but probably not going to be able to work you as I think we are going to be canoeing around the Abel Tasman on Wednesday. Will have the 2m HT with me, but not holding much hope of finding a path your way.

ZL/VK1MA

Subject: [OZSOTA] Activation alert for Wednesday 12th Feb at 0000UTC #sotaactivationplans

VK1MA Matt

Hi Tim, whilst kind of close I am down in Kaiteriteri – will be walking and kayaking between roughly 0830 to about 1600 and looking at path profiles, pretty much a zero chance of getting through with 2m HTs (and will not have HF with me). Still, I will have the HT with me on 146.500 when in a position to break it out – you never know we might just jag it.

Matt

ZL/VK1MA

Sent: Tuesday, 11 February 2020 6:05 AM
Subject: Re: [OZSOTA] Activation alert for Wednesday 12th Feb at 0000UTC #sotaactivationplans

Hi Matt,

Great, were overnighting in Takaka if you’re in the area?

I’ll take my 2m antenna and we can try. Will you be monitoring 146.500? There’s a repeater up there I think which might be a good way to establish initial contact. 

73 Tim ZL/G4YBU 

On 11 Feb 2020, at 00:04, VK1MA Matt <doormatt@...> wrote:

ZL/VK1MA

Hi Matt,
I agree, it looks like a difficult direct path for 2m. It might be worth monitoring the repeaters and I’ll put a call out on any repeater I can access. I’m using the repeater map for South Island. Tried to attach but keeps falling over.
Enjoy your day in the Abel Tasman!
73 Tim ZL/G4YBU 

Compton

Hi Tim
I managed a couple of 20m ssb contacts to ZL and we could just hear your cw on 40m but not enough to copy you, sorry.

Next time!
--
Compton
VK2HRX

I could hear you calling me! I went back to you but just couldn’t get the exchange. Thanks for trying, a successful activation. Fun but hard work! Mainly ZL on 40m with little on 20m which I thought might have worked for you.
Here’s to the next time even if it S2S from EU somewhere!
Tim G4YBU 

On 12 Feb 2020, at 20:13, Compton <comptonallen@...> wrote:

Hi Tim
I managed a couple of 20m ssb contacts to ZL and we could just hear your cw on 40m but not enough to copy you, sorry.

Next time!
--
Compton
VK2HRX