Elecraft T1 Auto Tuner - Minor - easily fixed - gremlin. #sotaequipment

Bill VK1MCW

For some time now I have used ( very happily ) an Elecraft T1 automatic antenna tuner for SOTA.. Brilliant and worth every cent.. On the last two activations I thought I had an issue with it - or some of my other kit ( coaxes, the radio.. something) as I could not get it to tune ( using an antenna used successfully on many occasions)… but then all of a sudden it would all come good and "green light"!!  Happened again yesterday..

Nothing like a cold wet Public Holiday afternoon to go through the SOTA pack - clean and sort and repack - -Oh yes, have a look at that ATU..   While I did not notice it on the summit, in the warm calm of my living room the fault was staring me in the face... I think if this unit has a design fault or flaw, it is the ground terminal (GND).. Very simple design - just a screw passing through the case held secure by a simple nut.  -There is no locking/spring washer, and just a knurled knob to fasten an earth lead - should you deem it needed ( works just fine without it by the way.....).

You guessed it. The screw had gradually worked loose and the  head of the screw came into contact with one of the toroids.  A quick nip up with screw driver and small spanner and a liberal dab of Loctite - and a small spring washer  to come after trip to Bunnings tomorrow!!)...… And of course - now forewarned, but with this simple fix, and yes, more regular and thorough kit inspections, this hopefully wont happen again.

Bill VK1MCW

--
de Bill VK1MCW

Ronald Cook

Hi Bill,

The last time I had a screw loose on a summit it was on my paddle, rather than me.  I also applied Locktite.  Then I built a paddle without any moving parts.  A bit like me really.
It's the lack of attention to detail, like adding a star washer, that destroys a company's name.
  nice pics.

73
Ron
VK3AFW

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 5:30 PM Bill VK1MCW <bill.vk1mcw@...> wrote:
[...]

Bernard Kates VK2IB

Hi Bill, Ron, all

I thought it was a prerequisite to participating in SOTA that one must have a screw loose 🤣

73

Bernard, VK2IB

Ronald Cook

Hi Bernard,
I think there is a clear diagnosis for people who repeatedly climb mountains with small radios expecting to work 50 others in an hour and never achieving that.

Probably incurable.  Sad really.

73
Ron
VK3AFW

Who in July 2014 had 106 contacts in 6 hrs from Mt Macedon.