Topics

System List

Lahzael

What games or Systems do you have that are considered OSR.
At the moment I have:
  • NeoClassical Geek Revival
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess
These are the two games that I have for OSR systems. What do you have and what do you like to run.

lukegearing@...

Jon

I have a lot. The one I use the most is Basic Fantasy,

--
Jon

The classics are what I have/use that are OSR
* OD&D, AD&D, Holmes

I also still use Swords & Wizardry, especially the White Box rules.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:05 AM <jlbeeh@...> wrote:
What games or Systems do you have that are considered OSR.
At the moment I have:
  • NeoClassical Geek Revival
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess
These are the two games that I have for OSR systems. What do you have and what do you like to run.

Wizard_Lizard

I have many games, so I'll just focus on those I actually run every once in a while.

• Dungeons & Dragons (1974 "Three Little Brown Book", without supplements) - my favorite edition of my favorite game in the world.
• Tom Moldvay's D&D Basic Set (1981 "B/X", except I don't really use Cook's Expert) - the second best version of the game IMHO. Some changes I dislike, but it's easier to play out-of-the-box.
• Lamentations of the Flame Princess - it's a mish-mash of OD&D, Holmes & Mentzer's Basic but better explained than even Moldvay's game. Plus the adventures are usually *interesting* at worst.
• Call of Cthulhu (actually I just use 3LBB D&D rules for it) - it's more of an umbrella term for playing occult investigators in more modern times, doesn't necessarily involve lovecraftian monsters.
• Shadowrun (same as Cthulhu - I don't touch SR's system, too complicated for me, I just use whatever system I have at hand like D&D, Troika! or Into the Odd) - for Cyberpunk action.
• Into the Odd/Electric Bastionland - if only it was called Dungeons & Dragons, it'd be my favorite game. Survival Horror/Exploration in a weird anachronistic world. Lovecraft meets Caroll.

On my bucket list of games I have yet to run but would like to in the future:

• Classic Traveller (science fiction seems overwhelming)
• Troika! - just look at the cover for Numinous edition! It's been described as Hipster Planescape. It's a retroclone of Advanced Fighting Fantasy with crazy weird evocative writing and art.
(same as Traveller except even crazier and more overwhelming)
• Fading Suns - it steals from all the good sci-fi stuff, especially Dune, making it a great kitchen sink fantasy game in SPACE. I'd use better rules though, say, D&D.
• Boot Hill - it's a classic.

Lahzael

I have been eyeballing Troika! I have seen/heard that same statement about it being a hipster game system. I am intrigued by it with minimal interaction with Advanced Fighting Fantasy. The guys over on the Purple Worm Podcast have been discussing it pretty heavily recently. All that that has accomplished is peaking my interest. May be worth picking up at some point. I already have a bookcase full of adventures and systems that I am not sure how I am going to find the time to run them all.

Ray Otus

I have talked about Troika! quite a bit on my podcast. You can listen to my thoughts after running it in episode 79: https://anchor.fm/plundergrounds/episodes/079-My-Final-Word-on-Troika-e4g5jq