Topics

Play by post tips?

Highland Paranormal Society

I'm going to start a play by post on my discord.
Any tips, blog posts, or advice for running a play by post is appreciated.

I'm running a PbP on my Discord server as well, just recently moved from Rizzoma.

We've been playing AD&D PbP game for 5 years.

My top 3 things I would advise:

1. Keep things moving. I shoot for some sort of interaction a day. If you're waiting for player input, agree up front that majority will win - so if you 5 players and 3 say "do x", then x it is.

2. Try to summarize combat as much as possible. I get everyone to tell me what they want to do and then I'll determine what happens and write up the round. The players don't mind me doing the rolls for ordinary combat. If it's a Save or something that involves PC death, then I'll get them to roll, but otherwise, I do it.

3. Use multimedia to show and tell. Be as rich as possible. Give the players stuff to chew on.

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:08 PM Highland Paranormal Society <nathantreme@...> wrote:
I'm going to start a play by post on my discord.
Any tips, blog posts, or advice for running a play by post is appreciated.

Peter Webb

I've been doing it for a few weeks now. My main tip is, if no players are online but you still want to post, you can just spend time describing things and adding detail to the environment. Describe NPCs, describe their pasts, describe journeys.

This contributes flavor and also indicates to the players that you are online and are available to play without pinging them.