FOY Tiger Swallowtail in Seattle

Carolyn H

I saw my first Tiger Swallowtail today at my home in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle.
It is about 3 weeks later than other years!

Sue Orlowski

Good for you. I saw my first Lorquin Admiral today.
Sue

On Jun 21, 2022, at 6:55 PM, Carolyn H via groups.io <coheberlein@...> wrote:

I saw my first Tiger Swallowtail today at my home in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle.
It is about 3 weeks later than other years!

Stewart Wechsler

Carlolyn,

It is good to get your urban Western Tiger Swallowtail record!  I am finding them later than usual this year in my West Seattle Lincoln Park, and in smaller numbers than usual for mid-June.  I generally find them in more urbanized areas later than relatively natural areas, such as Lincoln Park.  Late yesterday afternoon I showed a friend a spot where every year they regularly, and repeatedly, perch and fly in the last of the day's good sun, as the sun climbs from covering the road to the tree tops, to only touching the upper parts of the cedars and doug-firs before sunset, through most of their flight season, but we didn't see any there, and I haven't seen any there on the few days I've now checked.

-Stewart

On Jun 21, 2022, at 6:55 PM, Carolyn H via groups.io <coheberlein=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I saw my first Tiger Swallowtail today at my home in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle.
It is about 3 weeks later than other years!

Stewart Wechsler

Late yesterday afternoon I finally saw my first Western Tiger Swallowtails coming to the spot in Lincoln Park, West Seattle, with good end of day sun where, every year, they repeatedly perch and fly until sun climbs up, and over, the trees, the first I saw flying by 6:53 pm (about when I arrived), and a second joining that one by 7:02 (when I left) .  And yesterday and today might be the first days I was regularly seeing Western Tigers in the park.  This is notably later than usual.

-Stewart

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 12:15 PM Stewart Wechsler via groups.io <ecostewart=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Walking around Green Lake on Friday, I saw a half dozen Western Tiger Swallowtails. They were mostly flying high over the path. I've seen a couple more at my house in Fremont Neighborhood.

What struck me was that I haven't seen many Cabbage Whites. Ordinarily they are prolific at my house.

- Carolyn Heberlein - Fremont Neighborhood, Seattle, Washington - Landline: 206-633-2313