A new moth at the moth lights - Astoria, OR

Mike Patterson

I picked up a new species for the yard list when checking the
blacklights this morning.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/126649120

A Blinded Sphinx (_Paonias excaecata_), considered "blinded",
because it lacks the central black "pupil" in the center of the
eyespots on the hindwings.

National Moth Week starts July 23, so it's time launder your
moth sheets and break out the blacklights, if you've not already
done so.

https://nationalmothweek.org/

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

tlpyle@...

Very nice, Mike. I've seen that sphinx over here at Gray's River very few times over the years, certainly far fewer than S. opthalmica.

RMP