Date   

Re: [TILS] Celastrina overview

Norbert Kondla
 

Hi Vernon. Nice to hear from you and also glad to hear that you are still keeping busy. The energy you and Charlotte have displayed in 'getting among' the leps is truly remarkable. 


On Sat, May 7, 2022 at 6:20 PM Vernon Brou <vabrou@...> wrote:
Fyi,

I collected dung beetles using dung (of all types, including mostly human) for over 40 years here in Louisiana.  I found that Celastrina will feed upon dung and also feed upon rotting piles of insects I would dump out of my automatic capture light traps.  Seems that an enterprising researchers could devise live or dead capture traps to automatically trap these butterflies.  I also captured over 100 adult Celastrina in my light traps over the past half century.  I did run fermenting fruit bait traps mostly for moths and butterflies here are our home location and I was able to capture typically around 40,000 butterflies each and every year we ran a series of traps.

Before you tell me why don't I do this myself, I already have spent the past 53 years designing an operating nearly 500 insect traps here in Louisiana every day and night of every year regardless of temperature or other weather conditions.  Last year, my wife Charlotte and I began for the first time to reduce our collecting footprint, we are getting too old.  Here is a link to an unpublished manuscript I put together about 8 years ago illustrating a few of our traps we used over the past half century.

On Saturday, May 7, 2022, 06:02:39 PM CDT, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:


Here is a screen clip from iNaturalist. Shows all Celastrina records from a portion of North America. 
Celastrina North America.JPG
This map partly shows where the most reporting observers live/observe but in the case of the relatively few records from the Great Plains; I think this also reflects the relative scarcity of habitat for butterflies that feed on flowering shrubs. 
--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)



--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Celastrina overview

Norbert Kondla
 

Here is a screen clip from iNaturalist. Shows all Celastrina records from a portion of North America. 
Celastrina North America.JPG
This map partly shows where the most reporting observers live/observe but in the case of the relatively few records from the Great Plains; I think this also reflects the relative scarcity of habitat for butterflies that feed on flowering shrubs. 
--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Another Celastrina graphic

Norbert Kondla
 

A few specimens to illustrate sympatry of echo and asheri near Carmi, British Columbia
https://flic.kr/p/2niopgE

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: New butterfly species described

Kevin Burls
 

What a wonderful naming choice, and congratulations on disentangling yet another Lycaenid complex. 

--Kevin Burls


On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 10:28 AM david@davidleemyersphoto <david@...> wrote:
Caitlin, Jon, and Norbert,

Congratulations on sorting out this tangle and formalizing the answer. I look forward to encountering C. asheri. 

— David

On Apr 28, 2022, at 4:06 PM, Caitlin LaBar via groups.io <lepidoptera85@...> wrote:

Introducing Celastrina asheri, Asher's Blue!
Journal article can be viewed or downloaded here: https://zenodo.org/record/6502157
My blog: https://northwestbutterflies.blogspot.com/2022/04/introducing-new-butterfly-species.html

It was a big team effort, decades in the making, but only in the last 2-3 years were we able to put the pieces together. Exciting stuff!

Caitlin


David Lee Myers
503-791-6622
david@...
www.DavidLeeMyersPhoto.com




Re: New butterfly species described

david@davidleemyersphoto
 

Caitlin, Jon, and Norbert,

Congratulations on sorting out this tangle and formalizing the answer. I look forward to encountering C. asheri. 

— David

On Apr 28, 2022, at 4:06 PM, Caitlin LaBar via groups.io <lepidoptera85@...> wrote:

Introducing Celastrina asheri, Asher's Blue!
Journal article can be viewed or downloaded here: https://zenodo.org/record/6502157
My blog: https://northwestbutterflies.blogspot.com/2022/04/introducing-new-butterfly-species.html

It was a big team effort, decades in the making, but only in the last 2-3 years were we able to put the pieces together. Exciting stuff!

Caitlin


David Lee Myers
503-791-6622
david@...
www.DavidLeeMyersPhoto.com




Re: Old Celastrina live shots

bob Parsons
 

wow


On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 7:28 AM Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:
Yesterday I put a batch of old Celastrina nature pics on my flickr site
These are from 2003-2007, taken with little pocket cameras in the 
Pend-d'Oreille River valley of extreme southern British Columbia.

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Old Celastrina live shots

bob Parsons
 

Norbert, ace!!

Bob P

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 7:28 AM Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:
Yesterday I put a batch of old Celastrina nature pics on my flickr site
These are from 2003-2007, taken with little pocket cameras in the 
Pend-d'Oreille River valley of extreme southern British Columbia.

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Old Celastrina live shots

Norbert Kondla
 

Yesterday I put a batch of old Celastrina nature pics on my flickr site
These are from 2003-2007, taken with little pocket cameras in the 
Pend-d'Oreille River valley of extreme southern British Columbia.

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Celastrina - SW Alberta

bugbob
 

Cool — thank you!

-Bob Allen
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains


13 Pro Max

On May 1, 2022, at 6:22 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:


I forgot to mention that the uniform mid grey (rgb 128,128,128) background is created with software.
Here is what an image looks like before I close crop and then sanitize the background. https://flic.kr/p/2nhMNGc

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 7:04 AM Norbert Kondla via groups.io <nkondla=telus.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob. It is a very simple and cheap setup. Here is what it looks like, with the LED lights turned off.  https://flic.kr/p/2mWVhRT
The grey background is produced by digital grey cards which also allow easy checking for any white balance issue. The white reference target by the bug allows me to ensure the exposure/brightness is mathematically correct. I use a custom white balance reading derived from the X Rite color checker target specific to the lighting and light position. The multi-specimen graphics are compiled from individual images laid out in Microsoft Word table functionality and the file is then converted to pure jpg format with the free pdf 24 software.

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 5:44 AM bugbob via groups.io <bugbob=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

Nice graphics!

Great lighting, very clean. Would you please share your photo setup?

Cheers,

-Bob Allen
bugbob@...
Adjunct Professor of Biology, Santiago Canyon College & Orange Coast College
Research Associate in Entomology, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Research Associate, California [Rancho Santa Ana] Botanic Garden
Research Associate of the University and Jepson Herbaria at U.C. Berkeley
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains
occnps.org/wildflower-book.html



On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:31 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:

Here another fun graphic, this one from SW Alberta, where 3 species of Celastrina have been found
https://flic.kr/p/2nhDKyX

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)




--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)



--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


A few more Celastrina reference graphics

Norbert Kondla
 


Celastrina name "quesnellii" again

Norbert Kondla
 

Recently I mentioned the Celastrina name quesnellii and provided a link to a paper on that name. I stupidly forgot to mention that I have color pics available on my flickr site. Here is the graphic:
--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: [DesertLeps] Celastrina name 'quesnellii'

Norbert Kondla
 

It has been many years since I last saw the Palearctic species Celastrina argiolus applied to North America. I think it was about 27 or28 years ago that I stopped believing in a holarctic Celastrina species.


On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 5:10 AM Leroy C. Koehn <leptraps@...> wrote:

I have been an active Lepidopterists since the mid 1960's, and even before as a young teenager. I have spent most of my life in the eastern half of the USA. The little blue spring time butterfly, Celastrina argiolus, or Spring azure, has always interested me and most other Lepidopterists east of the Mississippi River. I have almost two Cornell Drawers full of specimens. There are currently a dozen or more specimen on Spreading Boards that I collected this spring including four females and a miniature male I collected this past Monday near the Mantua Wetlands area east of my home.

I beleive that Celastrina argiolus is a survivor from ancient times. We as human beings only began to collect and study Lepidoptera a few centuries ago. I think that the Lepidopterists of the future will still have the same interest in Celastrina argiolus that we do today.

Later this month I will venture up to the Thompson Habor area in the Lower Peninsula of Michigan to collect Celastrina argiolis and other spring species. My last visit in 2012 produced a Bilateral  gynandromorph of Celastrina argiolus.

We typically find or notice Celastrina argiolus in the spring. We may notice them again later in the Season but seldom collect a specimen.

Just my thoughts.

And, it would be interesting to see specimens from west of the Mississippi River posted here on Desert Leps.

I envy you guys who live and collect in the Rocky Mountains to the west coast of California. There is much to be learned and discovered.

Cheers,
Leroy


On Friday, April 29, 2022 Norbert Kondla <DesertLeps@DesertLeps.groups.io; nkondla@...> wrote:
Today I was asked how the name quesnellii fits into the Celastrina picture. In case anyone else is wondering about that, here is a link to a paper that talks about the matter:



--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


A strange Celastrina

Norbert Kondla
 

The strangest Celastrina I have ever collected showed up in my net back in 1975. Late July in the wilderness by Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories. That is a very strange flight date for the spring species Celastrina lucia. It seems to be a rare second emergence. Rare in western Canada from what I have seen but apparently in southern Ontario the lucia normally has an actual second brood. Here is the ancient critter https://flic.kr/p/2nhKoDU
And for comparison here are a couple of normal spring brood lucia from western Canada:
https://flic.kr/p/tkNBN9

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Celastrina - SW Alberta

Norbert Kondla
 

I forgot to mention that the uniform mid grey (rgb 128,128,128) background is created with software.
Here is what an image looks like before I close crop and then sanitize the background. https://flic.kr/p/2nhMNGc

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 7:04 AM Norbert Kondla via groups.io <nkondla=telus.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob. It is a very simple and cheap setup. Here is what it looks like, with the LED lights turned off.  https://flic.kr/p/2mWVhRT
The grey background is produced by digital grey cards which also allow easy checking for any white balance issue. The white reference target by the bug allows me to ensure the exposure/brightness is mathematically correct. I use a custom white balance reading derived from the X Rite color checker target specific to the lighting and light position. The multi-specimen graphics are compiled from individual images laid out in Microsoft Word table functionality and the file is then converted to pure jpg format with the free pdf 24 software.

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 5:44 AM bugbob via groups.io <bugbob=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

Nice graphics!

Great lighting, very clean. Would you please share your photo setup?

Cheers,

-Bob Allen
bugbob@...
Adjunct Professor of Biology, Santiago Canyon College & Orange Coast College
Research Associate in Entomology, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Research Associate, California [Rancho Santa Ana] Botanic Garden
Research Associate of the University and Jepson Herbaria at U.C. Berkeley
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains
occnps.org/wildflower-book.html



On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:31 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:

Here another fun graphic, this one from SW Alberta, where 3 species of Celastrina have been found
https://flic.kr/p/2nhDKyX

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)




--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)



--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Celastrina - SW Alberta

Norbert Kondla
 

Hi Bob. It is a very simple and cheap setup. Here is what it looks like, with the LED lights turned off.  https://flic.kr/p/2mWVhRT
The grey background is produced by digital grey cards which also allow easy checking for any white balance issue. The white reference target by the bug allows me to ensure the exposure/brightness is mathematically correct. I use a custom white balance reading derived from the X Rite color checker target specific to the lighting and light position. The multi-specimen graphics are compiled from individual images laid out in Microsoft Word table functionality and the file is then converted to pure jpg format with the free pdf 24 software.

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 5:44 AM bugbob via groups.io <bugbob=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Norbert,

Nice graphics!

Great lighting, very clean. Would you please share your photo setup?

Cheers,

-Bob Allen
bugbob@...
Adjunct Professor of Biology, Santiago Canyon College & Orange Coast College
Research Associate in Entomology, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Research Associate, California [Rancho Santa Ana] Botanic Garden
Research Associate of the University and Jepson Herbaria at U.C. Berkeley
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains
occnps.org/wildflower-book.html



On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:31 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:

Here another fun graphic, this one from SW Alberta, where 3 species of Celastrina have been found
https://flic.kr/p/2nhDKyX

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)




--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Celastrina - SW Alberta

bugbob
 

Hi Norbert,

Nice graphics!

Great lighting, very clean. Would you please share your photo setup?

Cheers,

-Bob Allen
bugbob@...
Adjunct Professor of Biology, Santiago Canyon College & Orange Coast College
Research Associate in Entomology, Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Research Associate, California [Rancho Santa Ana] Botanic Garden
Research Associate of the University and Jepson Herbaria at U.C. Berkeley
Author, Wildflowers of Orange County and the Santa Ana Mountains
occnps.org/wildflower-book.html



On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:31 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:

Here another fun graphic, this one from SW Alberta, where 3 species of Celastrina have been found
https://flic.kr/p/2nhDKyX

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)



Re: Celastrina asheri and iNaturalist

Stewart Wechsler
 

I've already made my first iNaturalist C. asheri ID!

-Stewart

On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 1:59 PM J.Green _OSU <jessica.green@...> wrote:
Congratulations, Caitlin! I will provide a link to your news/blog on the OSU Ent Facebook page. Well done & thanks for sharing!

Jessica

via mobile

On Apr 30, 2022, at 9:06 AM, Caitlin LaBar via groups.io <lepidoptera85=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:



[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]

I submitted a taxonomic request on there Thursday night, that was fast!

Caitlin 


On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:52 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:


Word gets around fast in the digital age. The name Celastrina asheri is now recognized on iNaturalist for use by observers & collectors who wish to report their encounters. A search a few minutes ago revealed 2 records already in the system

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Another Celastrina asheri-echo comparison

Norbert Kondla
 

Another comparison, this one using old Montana specimens ----
https://flic.kr/p/2nhHx1a

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Celastrina asheri and iNaturalist

J.Green _OSU
 

Congratulations, Caitlin! I will provide a link to your news/blog on the OSU Ent Facebook page. Well done & thanks for sharing!

Jessica

via mobile

On Apr 30, 2022, at 9:06 AM, Caitlin LaBar via groups.io <lepidoptera85@...> wrote:



[This email originated from outside of OSU. Use caution with links and attachments.]

I submitted a taxonomic request on there Thursday night, that was fast!

Caitlin 


On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:52 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:


Word gets around fast in the digital age. The name Celastrina asheri is now recognized on iNaturalist for use by observers & collectors who wish to report their encounters. A search a few minutes ago revealed 2 records already in the system

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)


Re: Celastrina asheri and iNaturalist

Caitlin LaBar <lepidoptera85@...>
 

I submitted a taxonomic request on there Thursday night, that was fast!

Caitlin 


On Apr 30, 2022, at 8:52 AM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:


Word gets around fast in the digital age. The name Celastrina asheri is now recognized on iNaturalist for use by observers & collectors who wish to report their encounters. A search a few minutes ago revealed 2 records already in the system

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)

181 - 200 of 11086