Re: [DesertLeps] Fourth book surprise -- lesser frits

Norbert Kondla

And I stupidly forgot to share a link to this old little 'context' graphic of 'frigga'
A taxonomic review is warranted -----

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 7:53 AM Norbert Kondla via groups.io <nkondla=telus.net@groups.io> wrote:
This surprise just came yesterday when I picked up a field guide ( a good one !!) and saw the treatment of Boloria frigga. Book shows a brighter dorsum bug labelled "Rockies" and a darker dorsum bug labelled "northern". Text says it is "rare and very local in the Rocky Mountains". The scientific names are not used but I believe the images are intended to represent the taxa sagata and saga. This portrayal is only partly correct. It is correct if one confines the Rocky Mountains to USA and also ignores what these bugs are up to north of the 49 th parallel.

Almost half of the Rocky Mountains are in Canada and here the Rocky Mountain populations do not look like sagata and they are not rare and very local. The cordilleran populations here are the larger and darker taxon saga, same as the forest flatland populations. Also they are not limited to willow and black spruce bogs. Here the 'northern' populations are a bright taxon called gibsoni.; so the north south sequence in Canada is the reverse of what the field guide describes. You can compare saga and gibsoni by ogling these graphics:
https://flic.kr/p/SdVMwQ

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)

--

Join NorWestLeps@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.