From: NorWestLeps@groups.io <NorWestLeps@groups.io> on behalf of Joe via groups.io <foxglove1985@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2022 11:23 AM
To: NorWestLeps@groups.io <NorWestLeps@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [NorWestLeps] Steens Mountain rim euphilotes question

Stefan
Outstanding report.
Time to go back to Mt Bidwell and check for Fridayi and shasta and mormonia

Joe Smith

On Sunday, July 24, 2022 at 07:53:04 AM PDT, Stefan Schlick <greenfant@...> wrote:

Just back from a trip to Steens Mountain and the Alvord Desert (July 20-23). We found Shasta Blue (Icaricia shasta) at about 8700ft up on Steens Mountain, and many artonis Mormon Friillaries. The wildflowers were spectacular. In the Alvord, we found all the dragonfly species associated with the hot springs, plus Long-nosed Leopard Lizard.

There also were many Euphilotes blues feeding on Steens Mountain Buckwheat (Eriogonum ovalifolium var. rubidum) near or at the rim. What is expected here? What is using this buckwheat as its host plant? Could this be E. glaucon? Or does E. baueri move up the mountain? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

At dried up Mann Lake, we found several Western Pygmy Blues (Brephidium exilis) feeding on Russian Thistle. This was on the west end as you go down to the old lake shore from the restroom. The expected Melissa's Blue and Ruddy Copper were plentiful as well.

Stefan Schlick
Hillsboro, OR

Join NorWestLeps@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.