Re: [DesertLeps] Pieris marginalis tremblayi

Norbert Kondla

So far this has been the most pathetic butterfly season I have seen since I started playing with the little critters in 1971.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 11:03 AM Leroy C. Koehn <leptraps@...> wrote:

Hello Norbert:

Not this year, maybe next year I would like to pay you a visit an see your collection. I am always impressed by your photo plates/display.

The weather here in northeast Ohio has been nothing short of dismal. I have done rather well will moths, butterflies has been just about nonexistent from early spring forward.

The only bright spot has been Sessidae moths. I have even managed to collect three females of Synanthedon pictipes. I have probably killed 500+ of males of  Synanthedon pictipes in my pheromone traps this spring.

Also, while lifting bark looking for moths, I found a pupae of a Lycaenidae of some sort. I have seen/found very few Swallowtails this spring and early summer.

I will begin my summer journey west around 12 June 2022.

Cheers,
Leroy

On Wednesday, June 1, 2022 Norbert Kondla <DesertLeps@DesertLeps.groups.io; nkondla@...> wrote:
Here is a link to pics of a small population sample of Pieris marginalis tremblayi from near the northern limit of the Rocky Mountains in the pacific northwest of our continent at ca. 59 degrees north latitude.
To see how females of the northern ssp tremblayi compare with females of the more southern ssp reicheli, see this graphic:
https://flic.kr/p/JWdAee

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)

--

Join NorWestLeps@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.