Re: Illinois County, Oregon Trip Results

Norbert Kondla

Hi Neil. Very nice blog posting. I have seen lots of puddle clubs by C. echo and C. asheri when I lived in southern BC. Interestingly, I have never seen a puddle club of Celastrina lucia in 50 field seasons.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 4:40 PM Neil Bjorklund <nel-de-bearck@...> wrote:

Not as exciting as a new species, but I had a good trip this past weekend to the Illinois Valley in Josephine County, Oregon.  My target was the elusive (for me) Spring White (Pontia sisymbrii).  Overall butterfly numbers seemed below normal, which is not surprising given the long spell of cool, rainy weather that preceded my visit.  I had two sunny days sandwiched between clouds and light rain for my search.  No joy on the P. sisymbrii, but 21 species is not a bad tally for cool weather in April.  Echo Blues (Celastrina echo) were by far the most numerous species by a factor of more than 5:1.

My accounting of the trip is on my blog here:  https://www.butterfliesoforegon.com/post/searching-for-spring

Here’s the species list and counts for the two days:

Propertius Duskywing

Erynnis propertius

44

Persius Duskywing

Erynnis persius

8

Common Checkered-Skipper

Burnsius communis

17

Anise Swallowtail

Papilio zelicaon

23

Indra Swallowtail

Papilio indra

1

Pale Swallowtail

Papilio eurymedon

5

White sp.

White sp.

4

Sara’s Orangetip

Anthocharis sara

15

Gray Marble

Anthocharis lanceolata

1

Pearly Marble

Euchloe hyantis

3

Mustard White

Pieris marginalis

5

Nelson's Hairstreak

Callophrys gryneus

1

Brown Elfin

Callophrys augustinus

1

Echo Azure

Celastrina echo

217

Silvery Blue

Glaucopsyche lygdamus

2

Western Tailed-Blue

Cupido amyntula

1

Greenish Blue

Icaricia saepiolus

2

Acmon Blue

Icaricia acmon

4

California Tortoiseshell

Nymphalis californica

26

Northern Checkerspot

Chlosyne palla

2

Mylitta Crescent

Phyciodes mylitta

11

Common Ringlet

Coenonympha california

22

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)

Join NorWestLeps@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.