Illinois County, Oregon Trip Results

Neil Bjorklund

Not as exciting as a new species, but I had a good trip this past weekend to the Illinois Valley in Josephine County, Oregon.  My target was the elusive (for me) Spring White (Pontia sisymbrii).  Overall butterfly numbers seemed below normal, which is not surprising given the long spell of cool, rainy weather that preceded my visit.  I had two sunny days sandwiched between clouds and light rain for my search.  No joy on the P. sisymbrii, but 21 species is not a bad tally for cool weather in April.  Echo Blues (Celastrina echo) were by far the most numerous species by a factor of more than 5:1.

My accounting of the trip is on my blog here:  https://www.butterfliesoforegon.com/post/searching-for-spring

Here’s the species list and counts for the two days:

Propertius Duskywing

Erynnis propertius

44

Persius Duskywing