Re: Celastrina asheri vs Celastrina lucia 'quesnellii'

Caitlin LaBar <lepidoptera85@...>

That’s a good comparison, thanks Norbert!
You can also see the slight size difference of lucia averaging smaller.

Caitlin

On Apr 29, 2022, at 3:14 PM, Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:

Recently I spent some time looking for Celastrina specimens in the papered specimen morgue and found a box with some interesting contents so I laid out a few specimens for a crude comparison image. https://flic.kr/p/2nhoUw3
In 2004 I collected asheri late April in southern BC and about 2 weeks later drove north to visit Cris Guppy in central BC. There I collected lucia 'quesnellii'. So the crude comparison image is useful because the specimens are comparable age and there is no confusion caused by age-related fading.

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada  (elevation 1060 metres asl)

Join NorWestLeps@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.