Re: British Columbia Speyeria zerene

Norbert Kondla

The southern Rocky Mountain Trench has unique ecosystems/vegetation types that are not
in the Rocky Mountains on the east side of the trench nor the Columbia Mountains on the west side of the trench.
I included a small map in this Plebejus graphic https://flic.kr/p/C4YmBf
Certainly worth doing roadside stops when one notices different habitats ----

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 2:36 PM bob Parsons <vintagebob2@...> wrote:
Nice. I usually drive full blast through Cranbrook...maybe I am missing something!!

Happy Holidays.

bob p

On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 2:02 PM Norbert Kondla <nkondla@...> wrote:
I found some old pics of S zerene that I finally put to use in some more digital plates. These are two of the three taxa that are in southern British Columbia: picta (type locality Aspen Grove) and garretti (type locality Cranbrook). I don't have any BC specimens of the third subspecies: bremnerii, described from nearby Washington state. I don't believe that picta and garretti are really subpsecies of zerene and use the name only because it is a popular hypothesis.

I have seen garretti presented in the literature as a distinct species, subspecies of zerene, subspecies of platina, and not being a valid subspecies at all but rather just another population of picta. In a 1942 paper dos Passos and Grey said that garretti is a probable Rocky Mountain extension of the coronis group and also stated "There is some basis for believing that garretti is a northern extension of coronis ...". Actually some garretti specimens do have a coronis/platina appearance to the vhw; something that I have never seen in samples of picta.

Here are links to the recent digital plates:
An older graphic of some topotype picta is here:
and pics of the picta holotype are here:

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Join NorWestLeps@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.