[TILS] Two Euphydryas - one species or two ?

Norbert Kondla

another note I should have also sent to this group originally

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Norbert Kondla via groups.io <nkondla=telus.net@groups.io>
Date: Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM
Subject: [TILS] Two Euphydryas - one species or two ?
To: <TILS@groups.io>, <desertleps@groups.io>

Here is a link to a live shot from the distant past. https://flic.kr/p/2cA6Ead
I have the pic labeled as anicia but looking at it again I wonder if there are actually two species in the pic: the nearer bug showing some flight wear and rather orangish being anicia and the more distant (partly out of focus) and more reddish-blackish and fresh bug being colon.
Thoughts/comments are welcome, especially from anyone with lots of experience in separating these two species where their ranges overlap.

--
Norbert Kondla
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

--