Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: November 21, 2018 Inbox x

David Dillard

 [webdev] Web Design Update: November 21, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Wed, Nov 21, 2018, 8:22 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 22, November 21, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 22 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: MISCELLANEOUS.
06: TOOLS.
07: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

The Business Case for Digital Accessibility
By W3C.
"This article examines the rationale for organizations to address
accessibility. It includes tangible and intangible benefits, and the
risks of not addressing accessibility adequately…"
https://www.w3.org/WAI/business-case/

1.4.10 Reflow
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"People with low vision typically enlarge the text to read the content
on the screen…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2018/11/1-4-10-reflow/

Conferences, Speakers: Please Caption Your Videos
By Adrian Roselli.
"Over the last few years more and more conferences have started to
provide live captions during talks…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2018/11/conferences-speakers-please-caption-your-videos.html

Inclusive Design For Accessible Presentations
By Allison Ravenhal.
"…slide transitions are overrated. More seriously, they can make the
audience feel sick. Slide transitions and other animation such as
parallax scrolling can trigger nausea, headaches and dizziness in
people with vestibular (inner ear) disorders. Make your audience groan
with your punny jokes, not because they feel ill…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/11/inclusive-design-accessible-presentations/

7 Basic Steps to Making PDFs More Accessible
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"Web accessibility encompasses a broad spectrum, but digitized
documents are too-often forgotten in the process. The Portable
Document Format (PDF) is one such type of digital document - a very
common and widely used file type online, created with the intention of
being able to be opened and displayed on any device…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/7-basic-steps-to-making-pdfs-more-accessible

There's Already a Blueprint for a More Accessible Internet. If Only
Designers Would Learn It
By Anne Quito.
"The internet can be a hostile space for 15% of the world's population
who experience some form of disability…"
https://qz.com/1407450/theres-already-a-blueprint-for-a-more-accessible-internet/

Universities Under Investigation for Poor Website Accessibility
By Halona Black and Natalie Schwartz.
"The Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights is investigating
hundreds of colleges and universities that it says have not met web
accessibility standards for people with disabilities, Inside Higher Ed
reported. An official told the publication there were 556 open cases
as of August 2017…"
https://www.educationdive.com/news/universities-under-investigation-for-poor-website-accessibility/541878/

This Blind Athlete has Filed 164 ADA Lawsuits
By Jane Musgrave.
"…Gil has filed 164 lawsuits in South Florida, accusing government
agencies, restaurants and stores of violating the landmark Americans
With Disabilities Act by refusing to take steps to assure the blind
can navigate their websites…"
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20181109/this-blind-athlete-has-filed-ada-164-lawsuits

Got Access for People with Disabilities Covered? Don't Forget
By Gene Marks.
"More than 5,000 lawsuits were filed under the Americans with
Disabilities Act in the first half of 2018, many relating to
businesses' online presence…"
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/nov/15/americans-with-disabilities-act-website-lawsuits-accessibility

Education Department's Civil Rights Office Retreats, Will Consider
Claims Filed En Masse
By Laura Meckler.
"Facing a lawsuit, the Education Department said Tuesday it would no
longer dismiss civil rights complaints simply because the filer had
submitted other, similar claims, reversing a policy that had led to
the dismissal of hundreds of cases en masse…"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/education-departments-civil-rights-office-retreats-will-consider-claims-filed-en-masse/2018/11/20/a7ed362a-ed05-11e8-96d4-0d23f2aaad09_story.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Keyboard-Only Focus Styles
By Chris Coyier.
"Like Eric Bailey says, if it's interactive, it needs a focus style.
Perhaps your best bet? Don't remove the dang outlines that focusable
elements have by default…"
https://css-tricks.com/keyboard-only-focus-styles/

Braces to Pixels
By Greg Whitworth.
"We continue on A List Apart's four-part 'From URL to Interactive'
series with Greg Whitworth, a member of the W3C CSS Working Group and
the CSS Houdini Task Force. He'll walk through how CSS is parsed, how
values are computed, and what the 'cascade' in style sheets actually
means. Then we'll discuss layout, painting, and composition. Brace
yourselves, we're about to drive through a one of our most scenic and
winding parts of our journey…"
https://alistapart.com/article/braces-to-pixels

Difference Between currentColor and Custom Properties
By Mike Riethmuller.
"There are some interesting differences between how currentColor and
custom properties work. Both are examples of dynamic properties in CSS
but how they are resolved differs in some very important ways. I
recently came across an example of this that had me scratching my head
for a while…"
https://www.madebymike.com.au/writing/currentcolor-and-custom-properties/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

The Methods UX Professionals Use (2018)
By Jeff Sauro.
"…Here is an overview of how common methods are used and how their use
has changed over time. Differences of greater than about 5% across
years or methods are statistically significant…Accessibility remains a
more niche activity for this group of respondents but there seems to
be a steady growth in assessing accessibility since 2011. In the past
seven years, it's increased from 14% to 21%…"
https://measuringu.com/ux-methods-2018/

Trust What Your Users Do, Not What They Say
By Pavel Bukengolts.
"…we look at why it's important to take what your customers say with a
grain of salt,  and how you can use data to vet product and design
ideas more effectively…"
https://www.appcues.com/blog/dont-give-users-what-they-want

No I Don't Want to Take Your Survey
By Gerry McGovern.
"…It's not up to me to help you make your website better…"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/no-i-dont-want-to-take-your-survey/

Usability Testing w. 5 Users: ROI Criteria (Video 2 of 3)
By Jakob Nielsen.
The number of test participants for qualitative usability testing that
optimizes return-on-investment is determined by 2 parameters: the
facilitator's observational skills and the design team's speed when
generating the next design iteration."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/usability-testing-w-5-users-roi-criteria/

How To Setup a Mobile Usability Test (Video)
By Kim Flaherty.
"There are a lot of elements involved in a mobile usability test. In
this video, we'll walk you through an example test setup, including
the necessary equipment, and discuss how to prepare for a test."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/how-setup-mobile-usability-test/

Four Approaches to Share and Reflect on Our Work
By Jared M. Spool.
"Reviews and critique are both about reflecting on the design, while
walkthroughs and demos are for sharing the design with others. Reviews
differ from critique because reviews focus on the future of the
design. Critiques focus on how the design got to where it is today…"
https://medium.com/@jmspool/four-approaches-to-share-and-reflect-on-our-work-cdb3cd8ee099

+04: EVENTS.

Everything You Need to Know About Kiosk Accessibility
November 27, 2018.
Online
https://zoom.us/webinar/register/5015421399252/WN_yNEZ49FpTKew9dk1KVfpgg

An Event Apart Seattle
March 4-6, 2019.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/seattle-2019

DevNexus
March 6-8, 2019.
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
https://devnexus.com/

+05: MISCELLANEOUS.

AXSChat with Alastair Campbell (Video)
By AXSChat.
"With a background in psychology and an expert in human-computer
interaction, Alastair Campbell is a leading light in the understanding
of where man meets machines. He is driven by a desire to make the
digital world accessible through the best possible user experience.…"
http://www.axschat.com/alastair-campbell/

+06: TOOLS.

Colorblindly (Chrome Extension)
By Andrew VanNess.
"Simulates colorblindness in your web browser."
https://github.com/oftheheadland/Colorblindly

GitHub & BitBucket HTML Preview (Hat tip to Jim Allan)
By niu tech.
"…Enter URL of the HTML file to preview or prepend to the URL or use
this bookmarklet while browsing GitHub or BitBucket…"
https://htmlpreview.github.io/

+07: USABILITY.

Five Mistakes in Designing Mobile Push Notifications
By Alita Joyce.
"Provide value to users before asking them to receive your app's
notifications; tell them what the notifications will be about. Don't
send notifications in bursts; make it easy to turn them off."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/push-notification/

Filling the Silence with Digital Noise
By Kate Moran and Kim Flaherty.
"Many people use digital media to avoid silence or empty time."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/filling-silence-digital-noise/

UX Design and the Case for Illustration
By Kate Evans.
"Senior UX Designer at Nomensa, Kate Evans, explores how illustration
can have a positive effect on UX design and user experiences and
shares her tips for when it should be considered during a design
process…"
https://medium.com/@Nomensa/ux-design-and-the-case-for-illustration-8d87bb7f7e0a

How to Run a Successful Design Review
By Arin Bhowmick.
"…a final design review before a product release can make a huge
difference for your product and more importantly your end users…"
https://www.uxbooth.com/articles/how-to-run-a-successful-design-review/

Latest Research Shows Gutenberg Usability Improves, Pain Points Still Exist
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"In the latest usability testing results of the new WordPress editor,
participants reported an 85.5 score out of 100 on the System Usability
Scale…"
https://www.lireo.com/latest-research-shows-gutenberg-usability-improves-pain-points-still-exist/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson