Topics

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 10, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: October 10, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Wed, Oct 10, 2018, 7:26 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 16, October 10, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 16 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: MISCELLANEOUS.
07: NAVIGATION.
08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Exploring WCAG 2.1 - 2.5.6 Concurrent Input Mechanisms
By Becky Gibson.
"You made it! This is the last in our series on the new WCAG 2.1
Success Criteria. We finish with the last level AAA success criterion,
2.5.6 Concurrent Input Mechanisms. It is under guideline 2.5, Input
Modalities…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2018/WCAG21-256ConcurrentInputMechanisms/

Technica11y - October 2018 - Nicolas Steenhout (Video)
By Karl Groves.
"Nicolas Steenhout, host of A11y Rules, a podcast about web
accessibility, discusses how he made his podcast and its accompanying
website more accessible…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlb0wpXm0s

Web Accessibility for Cognitive, Learning and Neurological Impairment
By Andreea Popescu.
"Web accessibility for those kinds of users who have cognitive,
learning and neurological is more complex than one for other
disabilities because it's not just focused on those, requiring alike
elements from other impairment…"
https://uxdesign.cc/web-accessibility-for-cognitive-learning-and-neurological-impairment-194dc96e6d89

Google Slides Offers Real-Time Automated Captions
By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.
"Imagine you're attending a presentation where the speaker's words are
automatically captioned in real-time on presentation slides…"
https://www.lireo.com/google-slides-offers-real-time-automated-captions/

GW Pushes First Federal Deadline to Improve Online Accessibility
By Leah Potter.
"The education department pushed back GW's (George Washington
University's)first federal deadline to ensure all new online content
is accessible for individuals with disabilities."
https://www.gwhatchet.com/2018/10/04/gw-pushes-first-federal-deadline-to-improve-online-accessibility/

DOJ Finally Chimes In On State of the Website Accessibility Legal
Landscape - But Did Anything Really Change?
By Joshua A. Stein.
"As those of you who have followed my thoughts on the state of the
website accessibility legal landscape over the years are well aware,
businesses in all industries continue to face an onslaught of demand
letters and state and federal court lawsuits (often on multiple
occasions, at times in the same jurisdiction) based on the concept
that a business' website is inaccessible to individuals with
disabilities…"
https://www.retaillaborandemploymentlaw.com/announcements/doj-finally-chimes-in-on-state-of-the-website-accessibility-legal-landscape-but-did-anything-really-change/

Florida Court Dismisses Website Accessibility Case, Clarifying 'Nexus'
Requirement For Stating A Claim Under The ADA
By John W. Egan & Marlin Duro.
"Florida court rules that plaintiff must allege more than being unable
to learn about a brick-and-mortar business to state a claim that an
allegedly inaccessible website violates the ADA…"
https://www.adatitleiii.com/2018/10/florida-court-dismisses-website-accessibility-case-clarifying-nexus-requirement-for-stating-a-claim-under-the-ada/

Price v. Everglades College, Inc.
By United States District Court, Florida, Orlando Division.
https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20180717789

ADA Website Cases Continue to Befuddle Businesses
By Dori K. Stibolt.
"Here is the Southern District of Florida, this past year has been
filled with a monumental increase in Americans with Disabilities Act
('ADA') Title III cases focused on businesses' web sites…"
https://southfloridatrial.foxrothschild.com/ada-title-iii/ada-website-cases-continue-to-befuddle-businesses/

DOJ Takes Flexible Position on Website Accessibility Requirements
By Ballard Spahr.
"…The DOJ noted that for more than 20 years, the DOJ has interpreted
the ADA to apply to websites of places of public accommodation. The
DOJ's response also clarified that the absence of a specific
regulation does not mean that websites are not subject to the ADA's
accessibility requirements…"
https://www.natlawreview.com/article/doj-takes-flexible-position-website-accessibility-requirements

TD Ameritrade to Settle Blind Woman's Website Accessibility Lawsuit
By Jed Horowitz.
"TD Ameritrade Inc. and a blind customer who claimed she could not
access key pages of the broker-dealer's website in an alleged
violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act have reached an
agreement in principle to settle her discrimination lawsuit…"
https://advisorhub.com/td-ameritrade-to-settle-blind-womans-website-accessibility-lawsuit/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Unbuttoning Buttons
By Scott O'Hara.
"…let's talk about styling the button element…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2018/10/03/unbutton-buttons.html

Unbuttoning Buttons
By Chris Coyier.
"…I think the solution offered to use a <span role="button"
tabindex="0" onClick="..."> is a little bizarre since you need bring
your own keyboard handling with is non-trivial and requires
JavaScript. But there are a couple of interesting other CSS
explorations, neither of which stacked up for different reasons…"
https://css-tricks.com/unbuttoning-buttons/

An nth-letter Selector in CSS
By Jeremy Keith.
"Variable fonts are a very exciting and powerful new addition to the
toolbox of web design. They was very much at the centre of discussion
at this year's Ampersand conference…"
https://adactio.com/journal/14408

Use Cases For Flexbox
By Rachel Andrew.
"In this final article of the series, we wrap up by taking a look at
some of the common uses for Flexbox. What should we use Flexbox for,
and what it is not so good at?…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/10/flexbox-use-cases/

One Invalid Pseudo Selector Equals an Entire Ignored Selector
By Chris Coyier.
"Perhaps you know this one: if any part of a selector is invalid, it
invalidates the whole selector. For example…"
https://css-tricks.com/one-invalid-pseudo-selector-equals-an-entire-ignored-selector/

CSS Debugging and Optimization: Code-Quality Tools
By Tiffany Brown.
"…In this article, we'll discuss tools that help you analyze the
quality of your CSS. We'll focus on two…"
https://www.sitepoint.com/css-debugging-and-optimization-code-quality-tools/

The Way We Talk About CSS
By Rachel Andrew.
"…One of the things I've been thinking about is how we have typically
thought about CSS, and how that should be changing given where the
language is now…"
https://www.rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2018/10/04/the-way-we-talk-about-css/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

User Interviews: How, When, and Why to Conduct Them
By Kara Pernice.
"User interviews have become a popular technique for getting user
feedback, mainly because they are fast and easy. Use them to learn
about users' perceptions of your design, not about its usability."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/user-interviews/

Contextual Inquiry: Leave Your Office to Find Design Ideas (Video)
By Garrett Goldfield.
"Field studies observe how people interact with interfaces in their
own environment. Real-world contexts reveal behaviors for which you
might not be aware."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/contextual-inquiry/

Skip User Research Unless You're Doing it Eight - Seriously
By Joe Munko.
"…The data we gather out of exercises that over-index on speed are
decontextualized and disconnected from other relevant insights we've
collected over time and across studies. We need to pause and question
whether this one-off research adds real value and contributes to an
organization's growing understanding of customers when we know it may
skip steps critical to identifying insights that transcend time and
context…"
https://medium.com/microsoft-design/skip-user-research-unless-youre-doing-it-right-seriously-15494e5ee033

+04: EVENTS.

Section 508 Webinar Series: Making the Business Case for
Accessibility: How to develop a Section 508 Communication Plan
November 27, 2018.
Online
http://www.adainfo.org/training/section-508-webinar-series-making-business-case-accessibility-how-develop-section-508

Introduction to Website Accessibility
November 30, 2018.
Online
https://accessontario.com/event/introduction-to-website-accessibility-5/

International Day of People with Disability
December 3, 2018.
Everywhere
http://www.idpwd.com.au/

Accessibility Lawsuits, How to Handle Them; How to Avoid Them
December 5-6, 2018.
Washington, DC, U.S.A.
https://www.accessibility.legal/

How to Create an Accessible Website
December 5-6, 2018.
Online
https://accessontario.com/event/how-to-create-an-accessible-website-3/

+05: HTML.

Introducing the Button Element
By Andy Bell.
"…There's a native element called a <button>, and I'm here to talk
about it with you today…"
https://hankchizljaw.io/wrote/introducing-the-button-element/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Exclusive: Tim Berners-Lee Tells Us His Radical New Plan to Upend the
World Wide Web
By Fast Company.
"With an ambitious decentralized platform, the father of the web hopes
it's game on for corporate tech giants like Facebook and Google…"
https://www.fastcompany.com/90243936/exclusive-tim-berners-lee-tells-us-his-radical-new-plan-to-upend-the-world-wide-web

I Have Resigned as the WordPress Accessibility Team Lead. Here is Why.
By Rian Rietveld.
"…In this post I'll try to give an analysis of what the WordPress
Accessibility Team (wpa11y team) did during the development of
Gutenberg and what the problems are with working on  its
accessibility…"
https://rianrietveld.com/2018/10/09/i-have-resigned-the-wordpress-accessibility-team/

AccessU 2018 Eldering Panel
By Wendy Chisholm, Lainey Feingold, and Sharron Rush.
"This video is of Knowbility's 2018 AccessU conference panel:
'Honoring Wisdom, Embracing Change: A Conversation about Eldering in
the Accessibility Community'…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xks8xt8uVsk

Why Design Thinking Works
By Jeanne Liedtka.
"Occasionally, a new way of organizing work leads to extraordinary
improvements…"
https://hbr.org/2018/09/why-design-thinking-works

The Psychology of Design
By Jon Yablonski.
"As humans, we have an underlying 'blueprint' for how we perceive and
process the world around us, and the study of psychology helps us
define this blueprint. And as designers, we can leverage psychology
principles to build more intuitive"
https://alistapart.com/article/psychology-of-design

+07: NAVIGATION.

Why You Need a Home Link (Video)
By Kathryn Whitenton.
"Websites which provide a "home" link on every page make it easy for
new visitors and users who are lost to get oriented."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/why-you-need-home-link/

+08: USABILITY.

Using Dark Patterns for Good
By Marli Mesibov.
"It was so frustratingly difficult to find the 'sign out' button on
Gmail that my father finally gave up and left himself signed in
forever…"
http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/using-dark-patterns-for-good/

Designing the Invisible
By Viba Mohan.
"Your one stop guide to designing for voice based interfaces…"
https://uxplanet.org/designing-the-invisible-260291a02b71

Store Finders and Locators
By Aurora Harley.
Finding addresses and location information on company websites has
gotten dramatically easier, but users increasingly turn to search
engines or native map apps first for this task.
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/store-finders-and-locators/

Bad Practices on Birthdate Form Fields
By Anthony Tseng.
"Asking users for their birthdate on a form is complicated…"
http://uxmovement.com/forms/bad-practices-on-birthdate-form-fields/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Preview YouTube video AccessU 2018 Eldering Panel

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...