Topics

[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 1

David P. Dillard

..

Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 13:01:50 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 1

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 15, No. 1

"September 30," 2015

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the

Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Oops, I think I forgot September.  No, wait, this is a bonus issue for October!  See, it's all in the way you frame it.

 Activities and Exercises

         Attraction & Relationships: "Why a good marriage is hard to find"

         http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/from-lab-to-learning.html

         A couple activities from C. Nathan DeWall related to a recent article in Current Directions

         Attraction & Relationships: "Love sees loveliness"

         http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2015/october-15/teaching-current-directions-in-psyc
hological-science-24.html#love

         Some good discussion questions around this interesting Current Directions article

         General: An updated Jigsaw Classroom

         http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/redesigning-and-enhancing-the-jigsaw-clas
sroom-website.html

         Scott Plous received an APS teaching grant to update and improve the Jigsaw Classroom website, which describes and
provides resources around this collaborative learning technique developed by Elliot Aronson.

         The Self: "The powers and perils of optimism"

         http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2015/september-15/teaching-current-directions-in-ps
ychological-science-23.html#optimism

         An activity from David Myers regarding a Current Directions article

Articles

        Attraction & Relationships: "Romantic love is an evolved commitment device"

        https://garthfletcher.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/pair-bonding-and-romantic-love.pdf

        Interesting article entitled "Pair bonding, romantic love, and evolution: The curious case of Homo Sapiens"

        Prejudice: Is gaydar a myth?

        http://tinyurl.com/pd2ezan

        According to this new article, recent research suggesting the (limited) existence of gaydar does not stand up to further
scrutiny.

Examples

Social Judgment/Prejudice: Stereotyping

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-ninth-grader-arrested-after-taki
ng-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

http://americablog.com/2015/09/muslim-student-arrested-after-school-assumes-his-homemade-clock-is-a-bomb.html

14-year-old brought a homemade clock to school to show his teacher. But he was the wrong color.  Could be
a bomb.

Topic Resources

Aggression: Do video games have any effect on our youth?

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/researchers-delve-into-data-on-video-games-and-agg
ression-in-kids.html

The fiesty world of video game research is on full display in the most recent issue of Perspectives on Psychological
Science.  It's fun to read the back and forth between the two camps, as well as from those who are trying to
"mediate."

Aggression: "Most acts of aggression by toddlers are unprovoked"

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/09/most-acts-of-aggression-by-toddlers-are.html

I'm surprised there isn't a reality TV show about that yet.  Oh wait, it's called politics.

Attitudes & Behaviors: Republicans like Obama's ideas better when they are Trump's

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-republicans-democrats-poll_55e5fbb8e4b0c818f6196a82

Excellent research study found issues that Obama and Trump agree upon and presented them as supported by one or the
other.  They also asked Democrats.

Attraction & Relationships: Sexual arousal increased risk-taking in men and women equally

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/09/sexual-arousal-has-similar-effect-on.html

Attraction & Relationships: Phubbing!

http://www.spring.org.uk/2015/10/phubbing-the-modern-way-to-kill-your-relationship.php

Have you ever done it with your loved one?  You know what I'm talking about.  Snubbing him/her with your cellphone.
Examples of "phubbing" include "My partner places his or her cellphone where they can see it when we are together."
"My partner keeps his/her cellphone in their hand when he or she is with me."  Phubbed again!

Gender & Culture: California passes strong equal pay bill

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/08/31/equal-pay-bill-heads-to-governors-desk-for-promised-signature

Gender & Culture: First female baseball analyst

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/08/28/3696214/meet-the-first-woman-to-announce-a-major-league-baseball-game-on-espn/

for a Major League baseball game

Gender & Culture: 70 awful displays of sexism on Fox News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEoWSaM61NI

Gender & Culture: Are the negative effects of viewing ultra-thin models the result of an automatic (unconscious)
process?

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/09/images-of-ultra-thin-models-need-your.html

Apparently not, according to this research -- depressing and angry feelings appears to require conscious focus.

Methods: Bayes for Beginners

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2015/september-15/bayes-for-beginners-probability-and-likeli
hood.html

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2015/october-15/bayes-for-beginners-2-the-prior.html

APS President C. Randy Gallistel introduces readers to Bayesian statistical analysis in these two columns.

Prejudice: "Is 'homophobia' a mental illness?"

http://www.beyondhomophobia.com/blog/is-homophobia-a-mental-illness/

An excellent analysis by Greg Herek from his blog Beyond Homophobia

Prejudice: How do adults and children categorize mixed-race people?

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/09/young-children-dont-categorise-mixed.html

Interesting findings

Prejudice: "Newest immigrants assimilating as fast as previous ones"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/us/newest-immigrants-assimilating-as-well-as-past-ones-report-says.html?_r=1

Good article reviewing extensive recent report by the National Academies of Science

Psychology in the Courtroom: "How jurors can be misled by...

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2015/10/how-jurors-can-be-misled-by-emotional.html

emotional testimony and gruesome photos"

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: "Response times do not imply accurate unconscious lie detection"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/obsonline/response-times-do-not-imply-accurate-unconscious-l
ie-detection.html

A recent study using IAT techniques suggested our unconscious mind could detect lying when our conscious mind could
not.  A reanalysis of the data brings this conclusion into question.

The Self: Spending, well-being, and happiness

http://www.beyondthepurchase.org/links.php

This website, Beyond the Purchase, provides a lot of resources, including quizzes you can use with your students, on
how our purchases affect or are related to our happiness and well-being.

Technology in Teaching

Video

Aggression: Sex without consent is rape (0:31)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-its-on-us-psa_55e59e1ae4b0c818f61904e8

A new Public Service Announcement from the Obama administration

Gender & Culture: Women as reward (33:59)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC6oxBLXtkU#t=307

This video reviews how women are often treated as rewards in video games.

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: The Memory Factory (1:11:05)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC9CRBvIAsQ

A lecture from Elizabeth Loftus -- "Eat your deviled eggs, young man!"  Well, no, not that kind of lecture.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send me
your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the
following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of?
Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your
needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me
(jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
jfmueller@...
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2015.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to
others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology