+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 50, June 6, 2019.

David P. Dillard

lcarlson
Jun 5
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 50, June 6, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 50 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
Web Design References
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: NAVIGATION.
09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.
10: TOOLS.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Accessibility Lessons (Video)
By Apple.
"Listen to four lightning talks from Apple Accessibility engineers to
learn about how to make your app more inclusive and accessible…"
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/201/

Accessibility Cheatsheet
By Moritz Giessmann.
"Practical approaches to Universal Design for making your
website/webapp accessible to everyone…"
https://moritzgiessmann.de/accessibility-cheatsheet/

Universal Design: 11 Practical Tips to Make Your Sites and Apps More Accessible
By Oliver Lindberg.
"Accessibility has come a long way over the last few years. It used to
be a niche discipline focused on people with disabilities, but
recently this focus has shifted towards inclusive design and the
understanding that websites and apps need to work for everyone
regardless of disabilities, hardware or software in use, or internet
speed…"
https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/universal-design

Web Accessibility Among Nonprofits
By Cyndi Rowland.
"…WebAIM has completed 2 rounds of research taking a peek at the
accessibility of homepages in the nonprofit space. In the spirit of
adding to a developing research base, we want to share those findings
here. I will share the most recent (2019) findings, whose methodology
aligned with the WebAIM Million…"
https://webaim.org/blog/web-accessibility-among-nonprofits/

De-Mystifying the ATAG 2.0 Guidelines
By Leonie Watson.
"The Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) are a set of
requirements for making authoring tools that are accessible, and
capable of producing accessible content…"
https://invotra.com/blogs/de-mystifying-the-atag-2-0-guidelines/

Do You Need an Icon Only Button Without Screwing Up the Accessibility?
By Chris Coyier.
"The first consideration is: do you really? If you can, having text
next to your icons is proven over and over again to be the most
accessible and clearest UX…"
https://css-tricks.com/do-you-need-an-icon-only-button-without-screwing-up-the-accessibility/

Fienen's Totally Tubular Talk Teaching Techniques to Transcribe (Video)
By Michael Fienen.
"Audio transcription poses a unique combination of challenges that
result in a high bar that content creators still struggle to get over.
Despite the availability of steadily improving tools, we still fight
in day-to-day content management to ensure audio content has text
alternatives…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35vhPcmtbrk

Status of the Accessibility of Slack
By Marco Zehe.
"This article was last updated in May 2019…"
https://marcozehe.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/status-of-the-accessibility-of-slack/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Grid, Content Re-Ordering and Accessibility
By Rachel Andrew.
"I have long been concerned about the potential accessibility problems
that grid layout could cause. These essentially centre around the
concept of disconnecting the source from the visual display…"
https://rachelandrew.co.uk/archives/2019/06/04/grid-content-re-ordering-and-accessibility/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Auditing Web Content with Web Inspector
By Apple.
"Discover a new way to ensure your web content meets team coding
standards and that you can deliver better code even without reliance
on automated test systems. Find out how to use the Audit tool in Web
Inspector to quickly and easily audit your web content during
development so important compliance details don't slip by…"
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/514/

Building the Most Inaccessible Site Possible with a Perfect Lighthouse Score
By Manuel Matuzovic.
"Google's built-in testing tool Lighthouse judges the accessibility of
our websites with a score between 0 and 100. It's laudable to try to
get a high grading, but a score of 100 doesn't mean that the site is
perfectly accessible. To prove that I carried out a little
experiment…"
https://www.matuzo.at/blog/building-the-most-inaccessible-site-possible-with-a-perfect-lighthouse-score/

Four Things We Learnt From Facilitating Usability Testing Sessions
With Blind Users
By Vedran Arnautovic.
"Recently two of my colleagues (Todd Moore, Stephanie Moss) and I
tested parts of SEEK's site with vision impaired users…"
https://medium.com/seek-blog/four-things-we-learnt-from-facilitating-usability-testing-sessions-with-blind-users-2298dac58ae2

The Importance of Replicating Research Findings
By Jeff Sauro.
"…Here are nine examples of claims or methods that we've attempted to
replicate. Some we found similar results for, and we failed to
replicate others, but with all we learned something and hope to extend
that knowledge for others to leverage…"
https://measuringu.com/replicating-research/

Usability Test Reporting: Spend Less Time, Have More Impact
By Ismaël Sow.
"Let's see how to gain speed and impact with your usability testing reports…"
https://conversionxl.com/blog/usability-test-reporting/

+04: EVENTS.

Using the VPAT in Purchasing Decisions
June 11, 2019.
Online
http://aem.cast.org/about/events/2019/06/understanding-the-vpat.html

Data Visualization: Tips for Making Complex Graphical Content Accessible to All
June 13, 2019.
New York, New York, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/A11yNYC/events/261680441/

To Boldly Go Where No Single Page Application (SPA) Has Gone Before…
June 18, 2019.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/262004166/
Live Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xNZst236jY
Live Captions: http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=CDA

How Slack Approaches Accessibility Testing
August 1, 2019.
Online
https://go.3playmedia.com/wbn-08-01-2019-slack

Midwest UX
October 10-12, 2019.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S.A.
http://2019.midwestuxconference.com/

Inclusive Design 24 (#id24)
October 10, 2019.
Online
https://inclusivedesign24.org/

HighEdWeb
October 13-16, 2019.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
https://2019.highedweb.org/

EDUCAUSE Annual Conference
October 14-17, 2019.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://events.educause.edu/annual-conference/2019

+05: HTML.

Reducing Motion with the Picture Element
By Brad Frost.
"…This technique would definitely be helpful for posts with embedded
animated GIFs in it. Authors would have to grab a static frame of a
GIF as a fallback, so there's a bit of extra work involved, but the
technical execution is pretty dang straightforward…"
http://bradfrost.com/blog/post/reducing-motion-with-the-picture-element/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

WAI-ARIA Menus, and Why You Should Handle Them with Great Care
By Macro Zehe.
"The WAI-ARIA standard defines a number of related menu roles.
However, before using them, please give great consideration to the
implications…"
https://marcozehe.wordpress.com/2019/05/30/wai-aria-menus-use-with-care/

Implementing Private Variables In JavaScript
By Khari McMillian.
"JavaScript (or ECMAScript) is the programming language that powers the web…"
https://css-tricks.com/implementing-private-variables-in-javascript/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Daily Ethical Design
By Lennart Overkamp.
"There's no shortage of content, manifestos, and opinions these days
on how design can be evil. But if they've left you feeling more
frustrated than empowered, wishing for practical, real-world ways to
enact change in your work, we hear you. In this piece, Lennart
Overkamp lays out a practice-based approach to daily ethical design.
You might be surprised to find out how much you can already do."
https://alistapart.com/article/daily-ethical-design/

Cake or Death: AMP and the Worrying Power Dynamics of the Web
By Andrew Betts.
"…the news industry is in the midst of a full blown disaster, society
around the world is being starved of intelligent thought and the
results are horrifying. AMP is partly responsible for this, and if
there's a bug to be fixed, it is the people who invented it and still
think it's a good idea…"
https://trib.tv/2019/05/28/cake-or-death-amp-and-the-worrying-power-dynamics-of-the-web/

Take Back Your Web: Tantek Çelik's Call to Action to Join the Independent Web
By Sarah Gooding.
"Tantek Çelik, Web Standards Lead at Mozilla and co-founder of
IndieWebCamp, delivered an inspirational talk titled 'Take Back Your
Web' at the most recent beyond tellerrand conference in Düsseldorf,
Germany…"
https://wptavern.com/take-back-your-web-tantek-celiks-call-to-action-to-join-the-independent-web

Before Netscape: The Forgotten Web Browsers of the Early 1990s
By Matthew Lasar.
"From the archives: Does anybody remember Erwise? Viola? Cello? Let's
reminisce…"
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/before-netscape-forgotten-web-browsers-of-the-early-1990s/

Your Company's Slack is Probably Sexist
By Leah Fessler.
"Slack is the bane and the lifeblood of my workplace communication…"
https://qz.com/work/1128150/your-companys-slack-is-probably-sexist/

+08: NAVIGATION.

Skip Links Design Showcase
By Christopher Schmitt.
"…To help with design inspiration, here are a handful of sites
utilizing Skip Links that work well with their site's brand…"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2019/skip-links-gallery/

+09: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

W3C TAG Ethical Web Principles
By Daniel Appelquist and Hadley Beeman, Editors.
"The web should be a platform that helps people and provides a net
positive social benefit. As we continue to evolve the web platform, we
must therefore consider the ethical consequences of our work. The
following document sets out ethical principles that will drive the
TAG's continuing work in this direction…"
https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/ethical-web-principles/

Why Did We Need Another Accessibility Standard? - the Birth of ISO 30071-1
By Jonathan Hassell.
"…I'm delighted that the resulting Standard - ISO 30071-1 - has been
published this week…I believe this is a great step forwards in
promoting inclusive design and accessibility globally…"
https://www.hassellinclusion.com/blog/why-do-we-need-iso-30071-1/

+10: TOOLS.

39 Accessibility Bookmarklets You Can Use For A11Y Testing
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"These nifty accessibility bookmarklets perform various accessibility
audit functions & will come in handy during an accessibility
automation evaluation. They can also be deployed on mobile browsers to
test responsive design…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/accessibility-bookmarklets-testing/

Togglific
By Scott Vinkle.
"Toggle web animations on or off; for people with vestibular
disorders, who are prone to motion sickness, or who find animations
distracting…"
https://github.com/svinkle/togglific

Enterprise Accessibility Tools Roundup
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"A curated list of Enterprise accessibility tools that will enable
automation of web accessibility testing across the website, generate
reports , create visual dashboards & help in optimizing overall
accessibility progress across the organization."
https://www.digitala11y.com/enterprise-accessibility-tools-roundup/

+11: USABILITY.

UX Dark Patterns: Manipulinks and Confirmshaming
By Erin Schroeder.
"…These subscriber retention practices are known as a negative
opt-out. Negative opt-outs are rooted in user guilt…In UX-speak, dark
patterns are mysterious, veiled attempts to inspire conversions by
tricking web visitors and prospective customers into an action they
didn't intend…"
https://www.uxbooth.com/articles/ux-dark-patterns-manipulinks-and-confirmshaming/

Creepiness-Convenience Tradeoff
By Kate Moran and Kim Flaherty.
"As people consider whether to use the new "creepy" technologies, they
do a type of cost-benefit analysis weighing the loss of privacy
against the benefits they will receive in return."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/creepiness/

Talking to Computers (part 1): Why is Speech Recognition so Difficult?
By Philip Hodgson.
"Although the performance of today's speech recognition systems is
impressive, the experience for many is still one of errors,
corrections, frustration and abandoning speech in favour of
alternative interaction methods. We take a closer look at speech and
find out why speech recognition is so difficult."
https://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/talking-to-computers-part-1.html

Why You Should Use a Grid for Designing Layouts (Video)
By Therese Fessenden.
"Grids are a great framework to help designers quickly put together a
clean, well-aligned interface, and help users to easily scan, read,
and use those interfaces."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/grid-layouts/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.
Web Design References: Accessibility

Association Information.
Web Design References: Associations

Book Listings.
Web Design References: Books

Cascading Style Sheets Information.
Web Design References: Cascading Style Sheets

Color Information.
Web Design References: Color

Drupal Information.
Web Design References: Drupal

Evaluation & Testing Information.
Web Design References: Evaluation and Testing

Event Information.
Web Design References: Events

HTML Information.
Web Design References: HTML

Information Architecture Information.
Web Design References: Information Architecture

JavaScript Information.
Web Design References: JavaScript

Miscellaneous Web Information.
Web Design References: Miscellaneous

Navigation Information.
Web Design References: Navigation & Labeling

PHP Information.
Web Design References: PHP

Sites & Blogs Listing.
Web Design References: Sites & Blogs

Web Design References: Standards, Guidelines, and Patterns

Tool Information.
Web Design References: Tools

Typography Information.
Web Design References: Typography

Usability Information.
Web Design References: Usability

XML Information.
Web Design References: Usability

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

Web Design References: Webdev Newsletter

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
Text Email Newsletter (TEN) Standard

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson