+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 38, March 13, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 38, March 13, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 38 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: BOOKS.
03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
04: COLOR.
05: EVALUATION & TESTING.
06: EVENTS.
07: HTML.
08: JAVASCRIPT.
09: MISCELLANEOUS.
10: TOOLS.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

State of Accessibility in U.S. Higher Ed Institutions
By Jiatyan Chen.
"This paper will discuss the requirements and environment surrounding
accessibility in Higher Ed institutions in the U.S., and their
attempts to tackle these challenges…"
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k0DohIigCy_EwYQq9-EIosxoMhZYanI8V_bFwQmd1_I/

Improving the Keyboard Accessibility of Embedded CodePens
By Manuel Matuzovic.
"I'm a huge fan of CodePen (No, they didn't pay me to write this). I'm
using it for prototyping, experimenting, sharing code, and in my
latest blog post, The Dark Side of the Grid, I'm also making use of
their Embedded Pens…"
https://www.matuzo.at/blog/improving-the-keyboard-accessibility-of-codepen-embeds/

What We Can Learn From the 'WebAIM Million'
By Sheri Byrne-Haber.
"…If you haven't run WAVE or a paid accessibility analysis tool from
one of the industry leading vendors like Accessibility Oz, Deque, or
Level Access on your main site and microsites, do it…WAVE results are
what lawyers who make millions from filing accessibility lawsuits use
to decide who to sue…"
https://medium.com/@sheribyrnehaber/this-week-in-accessibility-what-we-can-learn-from-the-webaim-million-2c11540fd46d

See No Evil: Hidden Content and Accessibility
By Paul Hebert.
"When I first started learning web development I thought hiding
content was simple: slap display: none; onto your hidden element and
call it a day. Since then I've learned about screen readers, ARIA
attributes, the HTML5 hidden attribute, and more…"
https://cloudfour.com/thinks/see-no-evil-hidden-content-and-accessibility/

Accessibility Checklists - Just say No
By Sheri Byrne-Haber.
"…Checklists might be thought of as handy, but are abused and
frequently used inappropriately…"
https://medium.com/@sheribyrnehaber/accessibility-checklists-just-say-no-c9a68c8f2c90

BingO Bakery: Headings, Landmarks, and Tabs (Video)
By Microsoft.
"In this fun animated video, learn how someone using a screen reader
may use landmarks, headings and tab stops to navigate a web page…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE2R86EZPMA

Why Human Captioning? (Video)
By Mirabai Knight.
"This talk will address the current state of the art in automated live
captioning and discuss why a qualified human captioner is still the
most appropriate choice in nearly all circumstances. It will also
indulge in a little speculation about the future of live captioning
and how the human and automated realms are likely to intersect going
forward…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKe1O7ppyqQ

+02: BOOKS.

Gay, Greg et al. Web Accessibility for Developers, Ryerson University
Pressbooks, 2019.
https://pressbooks.library.ryerson.ca/wafd/

+03: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Using CSS Grid the Right Way
By Violet Peña.
"Use names. Use frs. Don't use a grid system. Wait, what…"
https://vgpena.github.io/using-css-grid-the-right-way/

Content-Based Grid Tracks and Embracing Flexibility
By Hidde de Vries.
"Something I love about CSS is that it lets us define visual design
for unknown content. This is kind of magic. We can even size things
based on content, with min-content, max-content and auto. This post is
about how that works in CSS Grid Layout, and what usage in real
projects would mean…"
https://hiddedevries.nl/en/blog/2019-02-23-content-based-grid-tracks-and-embracing-flexibility

Designing An Aspect Ratio Unit For CSS
By Rachel Andrew.
"The CSS Working Group have designed an aspect ratio unit for CSS.
While this isn't in browsers yet, this article takes a look at the
process of designing a new sizing method and explains how it will
work…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/03/aspect-ratio-unit-css/

+04: COLOR.

Tips to Create an Accessible and Contrasted Color Palette
By Stéphanie Walter.
"…In this article, I will present you two tools and some quick tips to
easily create an accessible color palette for your designs…"
https://stephaniewalter.design/blog/tips-create-accessible-color-palette/

+05: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Effects of Labeling the Neutral Response in the NPS
By Jeff Sauro.
"…Let's take a look at the research on neutral point labels on the NPS…"
https://measuringu.com/labeling-nps-effects/

Getting an Accessibility Audit
By GOV.UK.
"Getting an expert audit can help find any accessibility problems with
your service and make sure it meets accessibility requirements…"
https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/helping-people-to-use-your-service/getting-an-accessibility-audit

+06: EVENTS.

WCAG 2.1 Primer
May 20, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/Accessibility-Twin-Cities/events/258337730/

San Francisco UX Conference
June 1-7, 2019.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/san-francisco/

Enterprise UX
June 3-5, 2019.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://rosenfeldmedia.com/enterprise2019/

ADA Symposium
June 16-19, 2019.
Dallas-Grapevine, Texas, U.S.A.
http://www.adasymposium.org/

M-Enabling Summit
June 17-19, 2019.
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
http://www.m-enabling.com/

Smashing Magazine Conference
June 25-26, 2019.
Toronto, Canada
https://smashingconf.com/toronto-2019/

Webstock
June 25-28, 2019.
Wellington City, New Zealand
https://www.webstock.org.nz/

+07: HTML.

Short note: The Abbreviation Appreciation Society
By Steve Faulkner.
"The HTML <abbr> element is deceptively familiar and attractive, its
been around forever (1999) and thus people assume that it does what it
does and does it well…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/03/short-note-the-abbreviation-appreciation-society/

+08: JAVASCRIPT.

Accessible Custom Select Component (Video)
By Gerard K. Cohen.
"…In this presentation, Gerard Cohen leads you down the path of
engineering a custom select and the reasons it was necessary. Starting
with the official ARIA pattern and native select on various platforms,
he demonstrates the practical reasons for deviation, the pitfalls he
ran into, and ultimately a working demo of an accessible and usable
custom select widget that works on desktop and mobile…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug1elgso_8A
Slides:
https://unfetteredthoughts.net/slides/technica11y/index.html

Vue a11y
By Vue A11Y Community.
"Vue.js community project to improve web accessibility…"
https://vue-a11y.com/

Building accessible-app: The Shopping Cart and aria-live Regions
By Marcus Herrmann.
"…this post is about the topic I wanted to cover initially - the shopping cart…"
https://marcus.io/blog/a11y-app-shopping-cart-with-aria-live

The 'Backendification' of Frontend Development
By Mike Taylor.
"Asynchronous JavaScript in the form of Single Page Applications (SPA)
offer an incredible opportunity for improving the user experience of
your web applications…the person with the most to gain from using CSS
framework is the person least capable of maintaining CSS…"
https://hackernoon.com/the-backendification-of-frontend-development-62f218a773d4

+09: MISCELLANEOUS.

Tim Berners-Lee: 'Stop Web's Downward Plunge to Dysfunctional Future'
By BBC.
"Global action is required to tackle the web's "downward plunge to a
dysfunctional future", its inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee has told the
BBC…"
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47524474

Web Turns 30, Seems Popular
By Adrian Roselli.
"The world wide web has officially lasted 30 consecutive years, which
means it's catching up to its parent, the Internet, which itself is
bearing down on 50. That's an important distinction. The Internet is
not the web; it is the foundation on which the web was born…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/03/web-turns-30-seems-popular.html

Happy 30th World Wide Web
By John Allsopp.
"Today CERN is marking the 30th anniversary of the World Wide Web…"
https://www.webdirections.org/blog/happy-30th-world-wide-web/

HMTL, CSS and JS in an ADD, OCD, Bi-Polar, Dyslexic and Autistic World
By Timothy Smith.
"…Despite all the challenges I have faced, I feel I have mastered HTML
and CSS and have a baseline grasp on JavaScript…Without CSS, all
websites are perfectly responsive and look great on any device or
screen size. We break them with CSS, then need to fix them…ponder that
a bit…"
https://css-tricks.com/hmtl-css-and-js-in-an-add-ocd-bi-polar-dyslexic-and-autistic-world/

+10: TOOLS.

Contrast Analysis Widget.
By Ada Rose Edwards.
"…bookmarklet so you can run it on almost any site provided the
Content Security Policy allows…"
https://ada.is/contrast-widget/

+11: USABILITY.

Filled-in vs. Outline Icons: The Impact of Icon Style on Usability
By Curtis P. Arledge.
"This study sought to determine whethersingle-color, 'flat' icons
would be more quickly and accurately selected by users when presented
in either a filled-in or outline style…"
https://cdr.lib.unc.edu/indexablecontent/uuid:e7ece0ee-c1ea-48c2-bb01-108122686e5c

User Interfaces: Hiding Stuff Should be a Last Resort
By Adam Silver.
"Many of the components we design for the web are made to save space.
It's interesting that we work so hard to save space on a medium where
we have infinite space to work with."
https://adamsilver.io/articles/user-interfaces-hiding-stuff-should-be-a-last-resort/

5 Simple Rules For Using Images More Effectively
By Nick Babich.
"…The process of creating or selecting visual content for your app is
time-consuming. But there are a few tricks and tools you can use to
simplify this task…"
http://babich.biz/images-in-design/

Internet of Things (IoT) and User Experience (Video)
By Kara Pernice.
"The Internet of Things (IoT) poses many challenges and the current
user interfaces since these systems rarely follow even basic usability
guidelines. UX professionals have many opportunities for contributing
to this new generation of devices and solutions in a major way."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/iot-user-experience/

Designing For Children
By Feifei Liu.
"Designers should consider the physical and mental abilities of
children, as well as utilize existing UX conventions. Here are 3
guidelines to consider when designing UX for children, based on our
user research with users aged 3-12 years."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/designing-children/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson