+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 37, March 6, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 37, March 6, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 37 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: TOOLS.
09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Fighting Uphill
By Eric Bailey.
"…WebAIM's accessibility analysis of the top 1,000,000 homepages was
released to the public on February 27, 2019. I've had a few days to
process it, and frankly, it's left me feeling pretty depressed. In a
sea of already demoralizing findings, probably most the notable thing
is that pages containing ARIA-a specialized language intended to aid
accessibility-are actually more likely to have accessibility issues. I
don't think this is intentional malice on the part of authors, but it
is worth saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions…"
https://ericwbailey.design/writing/2019-03-05-fighting-uphill.html

Moving Forward with Digital Accessibility in Higher Education (Video)
By David Sloan.
"Digital accessibility has become a significant concern across higher
education, in part due to legal obligations, and also due to the
opportunities that inclusive digital teaching and learning resources
can offer students and staff with disabilities."
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/tel/seminar/digitalaccessibility

Semantics to Screen Readers
By Melanie Richards.
"…Melanie takes a deep dive into how our content is accessed by a wide
array of screen readers, which are highly customizable to users.
Understanding the nuances of accessibility APIs, thorough testing
approaches, and the wealth of resources available, site creators can
create the most widely accessible content for the most users
possible."
https://alistapart.com/article/semantics-to-screen-readers

AI is Making CAPTCHA Increasingly Cruel For Disabled Users
By Robin Christopherson.
"…"improvements in AI means that a crisis is coming … and disabled
people are suffering the most…"
https://www.abilitynet.org.uk/news-blogs/ai-making-captcha-increasingly-cruel-disabled-users

Do You Caption Your Videos?
By Meryl K. Evans.
"World Health Organization reports that more than 5 percent of the
world's population is deaf or hard of hearing…"
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:ugcPost:6503695378242682880

How User Provided Image Descriptions Have Failed to Make Twiter Accessible (PDF)
By Cole Gleason et al.
Our findings indicate that simply making it possible to provide image
descriptions is not enough and reveal future directions for automated
tools that may support users in writing high-quality descriptions…"
https://www.colegleason.com/static/papers/TwitterImageDescriptions_WebConf2019.pdf

1.4.12 Text Spacing
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"…authors should ensure that the content is not cut-off or overlapped…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2019/03/1-4-12-text-spacing/

What is COGA?
By Jennie Delisi.
"Making Online Content Easier to Understand…"
https://mn.gov/mnit/media/blog/?id=38-373446

The Business Case for Digital Accessibility
By The Australian Network on Disability.
"A new resource called The Business Case for Digital Accessibility
explores key advantages of web accessibility to businesses of all
types…"
https://www.and.org.au/news.php/385/the-business-case-for-digital-accessibility

Blind Employee Settles Lawsuit Against Miami-Dade County Public Schools
By  Raychel Lean.
"Miami-Dade County Public Schools' websites and software weren't
accessible to blind employee Janice A. Bartleson, but Miami
disabilities attorrney Matthew Dietz helped negotiate a settlement
agreement to change that…"
https://www.law.com/dailybusinessreview/2019/02/27/miami-lawyer-settles-rare-website-accessibility-suit-with-miami-dade-public-schools/

Ninth Circuit Ruling Bolsters ADA Website Accessibility Suits
By R. Andrew Arculin et al.
"The Ninth Circuit's recent ruling in Robles v. Domino's Pizza, LLC
provides yet another boon to plaintiffs across the country claiming
that company websites may violate the Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA) unless they make specific accommodations to consumers who have
visual, auditory, or other disabilities…"
https://www.venable.com/insights/publications/2019/03/ninth-circuit-ruling-bolsters-ada-website-access

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Responsive Spacing with viewport and ch Units
By Chip Cullen.
"…One of the more interesting things that I discovered was how easy it
was to make spacing between elements act in a responsive way…"
https://chipcullen.com/responsive-spacing-with-viewport-units/

Breaking Boxes With CSS Fragmentation
By Rachel Andrew.
"Rachel Andrew has been digging around in the CSS Fragmentation spec,
and finding browser support is somewhat fragmented. In this article,
she explains what fragmentation is, why you might want to use it, and
what the state of browser support is."
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/02/css-fragmentation/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How Diversity and Inclusion can Improve Testing
By Callum Akehurst-Ryan.
"As the testing pendulum has swung towards more engineering in recent
years we're facing a new issue, the prevalence of an engineering
mono-culture…"
https://blog.scottlogic.com/2019/02/25/how-diversity-and-inclusion-can-improve-testing.html

Repeat After Me: Preference Testing is Not A/B Testing
By David Travis.
"Researchers sometimes ask participants which of two alternative
designs they prefer. The data from these studies comprise opinions
that have little predictive value. In contrast, multivariate A/B
testing involves target users doing real tasks. The data from these
studies comprise behavioural observations that predict real-world
behaviour."
https://www.userfocus.co.uk/articles/preference-testing-is-not-A-B-testing.html

+04: EVENTS.

2019 State of Digital Accessibility Part 2 - Industry Drivers
March 19, 2019.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KTEDfxblSNaoMLyXxlzF7w

GSuite for Education Accessibility Update April 1, 2019.
Online
https://educationonair.withgoogle.com/events/accessibility

WebAIM Training
May 7-8, 2019.
Logan, Utah, U.S.A.
https://webaim.org/training/

The Web Conference 2019
May 13-17, 2019.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://www2019.thewebconf.org/

John Slatin AccessU
May 14-17, 2019.
Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
https://knowbility.org/programs/accessu/

Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD)
May 16, 2019.
Everywhere
http://globalaccessibilityawarenessday.org/

Stanford Drupal Camp
May 17-18, 2019
Stanford, California, U.S.A.
https://drupalcamp.stanford.edu/

Digital Accessibility ROI
May 23, 2019.
Online
https://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=y&contentid=559

DesignThinkers
May 28-29, 2019.
Vancouver, Canada
https://www.designthinkers.com/Van

+05: HTML.

HTML Element Test File Index
By Steve Faulkner.
"I use 'em for testing…"
https://thepaciellogroup.github.io/AT-browser-tests/

Having an Open dialog
By Scott O'Hara.
"…I'm just going to say right now that the dialog element and its
polyfill are not suitable for use in production…temporarily putting
aside what 'support' presently entails, how would someone implement
the dialog element right now?…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2019/03/05/open-dialog.html

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Accessibility is not a 'React Problem'
By Leslie Cohn-Wein.
"Every few months, it seems like there's a revival of the Twitter War™
about JavaScript libraries and accessibility. React is a common
target, with developers naming a litany of issues…"
https://www.netlify.com/blog/2019/02/25/accessibility-is-not-a-react-problem/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

W3C Approves WebAuthn as the Web Standard for Password-Free Logins
By Emil Protalinski.
"The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) today declared that the Web
Authentication API (WebAuthn) is now an official web standard…"
https://venturebeat.com/2019/03/04/w3c-approves-webauthn-as-the-web-standard-for-password-free-logins/

Meryl on the Effectiveness of Video Captioning (Interview)
By Esi Hardy.
"Meryl is a profoundly deaf lady from Texas who runs a marketing
company. She talks Esi and also her clients about the effectiveness of
captioning in videos…"
https://www.celebratingdisability.co.uk/part-of-me/episode-15-meryl-on-the-effectiveness-of-video-captioning/

+08: TOOLS.

Colors-For-All
By Jean-Pierre Boutherin & Alexandre Saker.
"an online application which, unlike most other competitors, enables
you to easily check color contrasts and WCAG compliance (AA or AAA
levels as defined by WCAG 2.0) between a range of specific colors in
one shot…"
https://amadeusitgroup.github.io/Colors-for-All/color-palette
It's published as an open-source project at:
https://github.com/AmadeusITGroup/Colors-for-All

Touch Bookmarklet
By Louis Rémi Babé.
"Simulate touch events (swipe, rotate, pinch) with a mouse…"
http://louisremi.github.io/touch-devtool/

Visual Event
By Allan Jardine.
"Events in Javascript are often seen as a bit of an enigma. This is
odd given that Javascript is very much an event driven language, but
it is typically down to their complex nature and difficulty to debug.
To this end I've created Visual Event to help track events which are
subscribed to DOM nodes…"
http://www.sprymedia.co.uk/article/Visual+Event+2

Track Which Element Has Focus (in chrome)
By Kayce Basques.
"Suppose that you're testing the keyboard navigation accessibility of
a page. When navigating the page with the Tab key, the focus ring
sometimes disappears because the element that has focus is hidden. To
track the focused element in DevTools…"
https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/accessibility/focus

Rocket Validator (Hat tip to Dennis Lembrée)
By Site Validator Team.
"Reports on HTML & accessibility conformance of European government websites."
https://rocketvalidator.com/leaderboards/european-parliaments

+09: USABILITY.

The Psychology of Choice: Why Less is More
By Keep It Usable.
"…Paradox of choice leads to choice paralysis…"
http://www.keepitusable.com/blog/the-psychology-of-choice-why-less-is-more/

Unbridged Knowledge Gaps Hurt UX
By Kim Flaherty and Kate Moran.
"Many websites fail to provide the right information for
research-based tasks, requiring unnecessary effort for users to piece
together various information sources manually."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/unbridged-knowledge-gaps/

UI Copy: UX Guidelines for Command Names and Keyboard Shortcuts
By Anna Kaley.
"Labels for commands should be brief, informative, rely on verbs and
adjectives, and avoid branded terms. Command shortcuts must limit the
number of modifiers and follow standard conventions."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/ui-copy/

Designing Tables for Desktop Apps with Lots of Data (Video)
By Page Laubheimer.
"Data-rich applications often include huge tables in their user
interface; here are 3 UX guidelines for improving the usability of big
tables."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/designing-tables-desktop-apps/

Intelligent Assistants: Where We Are and Where We Should Be (Video)
By Raluca Budiu.
"Are Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant truly intelligent? While they
do have some 'intelligent' features, they are still far from what
people expect such an intelligent assistant to do."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/intelligent-assistants-where/

DeathToAutoPlay - No More Audio and Video That Plays Automatically
By Adam Engst.
"Most technology annoyances fall into the category of 'death by a
thousand cuts'."
https://tidbits.com/2019/02/06/deathtoautoplay-no-more-audio-and-video-that-plays-automatically/

Interface as Luxury
By Gerry McGovern.
"…When it comes to digital technology, it's the interface, the screen,
the voice, the information that denote luxury and the experience."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/interface-as-luxury/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson