+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 34, February 15, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 34, February 15, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 34 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: HTML.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: NAVIGATION.
09: TOOLS.
10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Uncanny A11y
By Adrian Roselli.
"Developers can try so hard to make sure something is accessible that
the entire experience becomes weird, confusing, or downright unusable.
There are generally two things that contribute to this: 1.) thinking
that using code, all the code, is the best way to make something
accessible, and 2.) not testing with users who have disabilities…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/02/uncanny-a11y.html

Inaccessibility of CAPTCHA
Scott Hollier, Janina Sajka, and Michael Cooper, Editors.
"…This document examines a number of approaches that allow systems to
test for human users, and the extent to which these approaches
adequately accommodate people with disabilities…"
https://www.w3.org/TR/2019/WD-turingtest-20190214/

Paint the Picture, Not the Frame: How Browsers Provide Everything Users Need
By Eric Bailey.
"Designers want to create fully branded experiences, which often
results in customized highlighting colors or pixel-perfect typography.
While these design touches can enhance the experience for some, they
can render the experience inaccessible for others. Designer Eric
Bailey makes a case for leaving key accessibility features to the
browser to ensure the most accessible experience possible."
https://alistapart.com/article/paint-the-picture-not-the-frame

Quick Note On High Contrast Mode
By Scott O'Hara.
"…HCM cares not for your ARIA roles…Background images are (mostly) ignored…"
https://www.scottohara.me/blog/2019/02/12/high-contrast-aria-and-images.html

Tips for Making Interactive Elements Accessible on Mobile Devices
By Ire Aderinokun.
"…In this article, I will cover some of the new guidelines that relate
to interactive elements on a web page…"
https://bitsofco.de/tips-for-making-interactive-elements-accessible-on-mobile-devices/

W3C Accessibility Guidelines for Mobile Games
By Amy Wilson and Michael Crabb.
"…The purpose of this work is to investigate how well current W3C
accessibility guidelines support mobile game development. This paper
introduces a study that was carried out to determine the current
knowledge that participants have of these guidelines, along with the
opinions on how important these accessibility guidelines are when
creating accessible mobile game content…"
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40869-018-0058-7

Web Accessibility Overlays Do Not Work
By Karl Groves.
"This page presents a large number of examples of inaccessible code
that cannot be reliably fixed by an 'overlay' product. Each of the
examples is provided along with an explanation of why it is a problem
and why an overlay cannot fix it…"
https://overlaysdontwork.com/

Open Source Can be Key to Web Accessibility But Only If We Do It Right (Video)
By Mike Gifford.
"Open source solutions have disrupted many industries in the last
decade and there is hope that approaches to accessibility may be
next…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwyYwpxyW3U

Accessibility New Year's Resolutions - The Deadline for Implementing WCAG 2.1
By Sheri Byrne-Haber.
"…If neither 1 and 2 apply to you, December 5, 2019 seems to be a
reasonable and justifiable internal deadline for WCAG 2.1 Level AA
compliance when creating new digital properties or updating old ones…
If you don't choose one of those 3, the fourth possible outcome is you
end up getting sued…"
https://medium.com/@sheribyrnehaber/accessibility-new-years-resolutions-the-deadline-for-implementing-wcag-2-1-237e5beb915c

Accessibility Statements Show Commitment to all Site Users
By Lainey Feingold.
"Check out the Accessibility Statement Generator from the Web
Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
It's part of a great new page of information titled 'Developing an
Accessibility Statement'…"
https://www.lflegal.com/2013/02/access-info-pages/

Writing an Accessibility Statement for Your Organization
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Having an accessibility statement on the website shows your
commitment towards persons with disabilities…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2019/02/writing-accessibility-statement-organization/

Flagler Pays $16,000 to Settle Website Access Suit, and Much More to
Become ADA Compliant
By FlaglerLive.
"Flagler County government will pay $15,700 to settle a
Napoleon-quoting federal lawsuit filed by a legally blind Daytona
Beach man who charged that Flagler was violating the Americans With
Disabilities Act by making some of the documents posted to its website
inaccessible to the blind, because computer software can't read the
pdfs…"
https://flaglerlive.com/132763/flagler-website-suit/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

The Dark Side of the Grid (Part 1)
By Manuel Matuzovic.
"This is part 1 of 3 in a series of articles about CSS Grid layout and
accessibility…"
https://www.matuzo.at/blog/the-dark-side-of-the-grid/

An Introduction to CSS Exclusions: The Future of Complex Web Layout
By Dennis Gaebel.
"…CSS exclusions is an addition to our layout arsenal that will become
another game changer, assisting with whatever complicated layout
scenarios we crave. In this article I'll introduce you to CSS
exclusions, and explain how to raise your voice for browser adoption
in order to help progress for the future…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/an-introduction-to-css-exclusions-the-future-of-complex-web-layout--cms-32366

Where Do You Nest Your Sass Breakpoints?
By Chris Coyier.
"I love nesting my @media query breakpoints. It's perhaps the most
important feature of Sass to me…"
https://css-tricks.com/where-do-you-nest-your-sass-breakpoints/

Guide to Optimize CSS Delivery
By Samuel Bocetta et. al.
"…Here are 5 simple things you can do to optimize your CSS…"
https://hostingcanada.org/css-optimization/

What's New In CSS?
By Rachel Andrew.
"Rachel's Fronteers W3C Meet-up slides from February 2019 in
Amsterdam, Netherlands…"
https://noti.st/rachelandrew/9R7PMY/what-s-new-in-css

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Using Persona Profiles to Test Accessibility
By Anika Henke.
"… this method offers is a quick and easy way of finding accessibility
issues early in service development."
https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2019/02/11/using-persona-profiles-to-test-accessibility/

Considering Accessibility When Designing a Usability Test
By Aaron Pearlman.
"…If accessibility is a consideration for the application you are
creating, then your usability test should reflect that. You're
probably familiar with running usability tests for sighted/mouse
users, this post will discuss considerations for accessibility for
non-sighted/AT users when conducting a usability test…"
https://www.deque.com/blog/considering-accessibility-when-designing-a-usability-test/

Zooming In and Zooming Out - A Significant Answer to that Statistical Question
By Kelly Moran.
"…Think of qualitative research (qual) as the metal detector on the
sandy shores of innovation. It will detect a signal from metal of any
kind in the nearby vicinity. Closer inspection can reveal more about
this metal. It might be gold, it might be silver, it might just be
tin. But you'll get a signal if it's there. It's your job to determine
if what you've found is valuable. Qual research is a metal detector…"
https://towardsdatascience.com/zooming-in-and-zooming-out-9d70e561d609

+04: EVENTS.

2019 State of Digital Accessibility
February 26, 2019.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_beLd5cfPT6Or0TyyqXiy4g

How Accessibility Testing Actually Impacts Developers
February 26, 2019.
Online
https://accessibility.deque.com/how-accessibility-testing-actually-impacts-developers

No Bad Legos: Automated Accessibility Testing
February 28, 2019.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/a11ychi/events/258965911/
Live stream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h3pc74Lpvw
Live captions:
http://www.streamtext.net/player?event=CDA

Creative South
April 11-13, 2019.
Columbus, Georgia, U.S.A.
https://creativesouth.com/

CodeStock
April 12-13, 2019.
Knoxville, Tennessee, U.S.A
http://codestock.org/

Social Media Accessibility
April 18, 2019.
Online
https://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=560

Confab
April 23-26, 2019.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://www.confabevents.com/

+05: HTML.

Required Attribute Requirements
By Scott O'Hara.
"Introduced in HTML5, the required attribute conveys that a particular
form control or grouping of controls must have a valid value on form
submission…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/02/required-attribute-requirements/

Errant for Attributes Screw with label Behaviour
By Steve Faulkner.
"…tip: remove unnecessary for attributes, if a control is a child of a
label element, the forattribute is not needed and can cause issues."
https://codepen.io/anon/pen/OdQJJL

Accessibility: Back to the Future (Video)
By Bruce Lawson.
"Here's a talk I did at a lovely inclusive, anarchic, friendly
conference last month called Monki Gras…"
https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2019/accessibility-back-to-the-future/

Where Do You Learn HTML & CSS in 2019?
By Chris Coyier.
"The topic of how accessible it is for newbies and seasoned developers
alike to learn CSS has been gaining steam as the complexity of the
tools around it has become skewed more toward traditional
programming…"
https://css-tricks.com/where-do-you-learn-html-css-in-2019/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Make it Boring
By Jeremy Wagner.
"…Web developers are accustomed to starting projects with the massive
overhead of JavaScript frameworks like React-not to mention all that
gets installed with it-as well as ancillary packages, module bundlers,
and all this... stuff. Stuff that clutters the already densely
occupied space of our minds, which inevitably seems to burden the
people who use what we make…"
https://jeremy.codes/blog/make-it-boring/

Beginning to Demystify ARIA
By Lindsey Kopacz.
"…The way I like to think about ARIA is context. Sometimes you don't
need additional background - the HTML is surely enough. Sometimes it
could be better though, especially if it's a custom widget. I'll do
more about ARIA in the future regarding specific attributes and what
they do - mainly because the documentation can be a bit daunting.
Cheers to that!"
https://dev.to/lkopacz/beginning-to-demystify-aria-5bi5

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Transcript of Tim Berners-Lee's talk to the LCS 35th Anniversary
celebrations, Cambridge Massachusetts, 1999/April/14 (via Jeremy
Keith)
By Tim Berners-Lee.
"…The basic ideas of the Web is that an information space through
which people can communicate, but communicate in a special way:
communicate by sharing their knowledge in a pool. The idea was not
just that it should be a big browsing medium. The idea was that
everybody would be putting their ideas in, as well as taking them
out…"
https://www.w3.org/1999/04/13-tbl.html

A Strongly Worded Letter
By Adrian Roselli.
"Last week while whining about having accessibility contributions to
FOSS projects dismissed, I had a Twitter conversation about when the
same thing happens with clients. I have a method to deal with that,
however, which I briefly outlined on Twitter. I promised to expand on
it in a blog post, so here it is…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/02/a-strongly-worded-letter.html

+08: NAVIGATION.

Skip Links are Important
By Nicolas Steenhout.
"…Skip links are important. And they are relatively easy to implement.
You will improve the user experience for your visitors who rely on the
keyboard for navigation. You'll also comply with WCAG 2.4.1. Bypass
Blocks!"
https://knowbility.org/blog/2019/skip-links/

How to Conduct Research for Customer Journey-Mapping
By Kate Kaplan.
"When conducting research for customer-journey maps, use qualitative
methods that allow direct interaction with or observation of users,
such as interviews, field studies, and diary studies."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/research-journey-mapping/

+09: TOOLS.

Contrast Checker (Hat Tip to Jim Allan)
By Nick Colley.
"Check constrast with the new WCAG 2.1 requirements…" It checks text
contrast with object background and object contrast with page
background.
https://contrast-checker.glitch.me/

Introducing Togglific
By Scott Vinkle.
"Do you find web animations distracting? Togglific provides a
distraction-free web experience…Stand-alone script: For development
teams to implement into their own projects and setup custom controls.
This covers all animations…"
https://medium.com/@svinkle/introducing-togglific-1d824708ecc1

Accessibility Testing Tools - Updated 10th February 2019
By Steve Faulkner.
"Here at The Paciello Group (TPG) we have a technical accessibility
testing process which does not involve the use of automated tools. The
technical audit results we provide to our clients are based solely on
manual testing of a web site, web application, mobile or desktop
application…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/02/accessibility-testing-tools-we-use/

+10: USABILITY.

The Ineffectiveness of Lonely Icons
By Matt Wilcox.
"If your target audience is a general population, you should not be
using icons alone to convey anything meaningful. By doing so, you have
made assumptions that are unlikely to be appropriate to a general
audience.
https://mattwilcox.net/musing/the-ineffectiveness-of-icons

Proper UI Hierarchy
By Bradley Taunt.
"The statement that flat design is inherently worse than it's
predecessor is not subjective. By stripping away the visual cues that
help users distinguish between interface elements you are purposely
making a worse experience for them. Designers need to stop designing
for other designers."
https://accssible.com/2019/02/05/proper-ui-hierarchy/

Interface Copy Impacts Decision Making
By Lexie Martin.
"The language used in interfaces influences the decisions that our
users will make. Manipulative copy nudges users towards making choices
that are against their best interests."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/interface-copy-decision-making/

Perverse Incentives Create Perverse Behavior
By Gerry McGovern.
"…We must reward employees based on customer use. We must focus on the
consumption, not on the production. We must measure customer effort,
task completions rates, time-on-task."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/perverse-incentives-create-perverse-behavior/

The Biggest Mistakes in User Research, Part 2
By Jim Ross.
"…I'll describe eight additional mistakes and provide advice about how
to avoid them."
https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2019/02/the-biggest-mistakes-in-user-research-part-2.php

How to Empathy Map (Video)
By Sarah Gibbons.
"A 5-step process for creating empathy maps that describe user
characteristics at the start of a UX design process."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/empathy-map/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson