+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 16, Issue 39, March 22, 2018.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 16, Issue 39, March 22, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 39 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: COLOR.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.
06: JAVASCRIPT.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: TOOLS.
09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

New Features in Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 and What You Need to Do
By Ashley Sheridan.
"…The majority of these are fairly obvious and straightforward, with
some nice additions that enhance accessibility on smaller hand-held
devices…"
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk/blog/New+Features+in+Web+Content+Accessibility+Guidelines+2.1+and+What+You+Need+to+Do

Labels Required
By Maggie Wachs.
"Late last year we completed an accessibility audit with a client,
during which we were reminded that form fields must have properly
associated label elements to be universally understood by screen
readers and conventional browsers."
https://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/a11y-form-labels.html

Screen Reader Fails To Detect Newly Added Content: WCAG 2.0 Failure?
By Sailesh Panchang.
"Consider these two examples for error notification…"
http://www.mindoversight.com/?p=190

Cognitive Accessibility (Video)
By Jamie Knight & Lion.
Jamie's February 2018 London Accessibility Meetup presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBzXBY9G2u4

How We Stopped Making Excuses and Started Improving Basecamp's Accessibility
By Michael Berger.
"In 2017 we made web accessibility a priority at Basecamp. It was long overdue…"
https://m.signalvnoise.com/how-we-stopped-making-excuses-and-started-improving-basecamps-accessibility-5f45eb246aa3

Your Tooltips Are Bogus
By Heydon Pickering.
"Tooltips are implemented all over the place. Badly. Let me count the ways."
http://www.heydonworks.com/article/your-tooltips-are-bogus

Trickle Down Accessibility
By Ted Drake and Sarah Margolis-Greenbaum.
"This presentation is not about reducing your support for blind and low-vision…"
http://www.last-child.com/trickle-down-accessibility/

I Never Thought I Would Say This
By Marcie Lipsett.
OCR is dismissing some of Marcie Lipsett's complaints related
discrimination against people with disabilities.
https://www.facebook.com/129061697837227/photos/a.129218541154876.1073741828.129061697837227/129218521154878/

SOCSD Rolls Out New Website
By Charlie Benton.
"The Starkville-Oktibbeha Consolidated School District unveiled its
new website last week after working on the project since December. The
project was initiated following the district's past website being
found to not be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act
(ADA)…"
http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/content/socsd-rolls-out-new-website

Accessibility Analysis of Banking Industry Websites
By Bureau of Internet Accessibility.
"…The banking industry has made progress over the past decade, but our
analysis shows that there is still room for improvement…"
https://www.boia.org/blog/accessibility-analysis-of-banking-industry-websites-1q2018

+02: Color.

Colour Deficit Help
By Matthew Atkinson.
"This is the last in the current series of articles looking at
adaptations for accessibility, based on new techniques or research…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/03/colour-deficit-help/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Why Accessibility Testing with Real Users is so Important
By Helen Wood and Jennifer Kline.
"…There is no 'one size fits all' way to know if what you've built
will work until you test it with the people who will be expected to
use it."
https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2018/03/20/why-accessibility-testing-with-real-users-is-so-important/

Measure Customer Use of Things, Not Customer Satisfaction with Things
By Gerry McGovern.
"…In a digital economy, the most vital thing to manage is use."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/measure-customer-use-of-things-not-customer-satisfaction-with-things/

How to Test Your User Interface the Right Way
By Paul Boag.
"On this episode of the Boagworld Show, we look at testing your user
interface and how to integrate it into your design process…"
https://boagworld.com/season/20/episode/2008/

+04: EVENTS.

What's New in WCAG 2.1
March 27, 2018.
Online.
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/521166701331883266

An Event Apart Orlando
October 8-10, 2018.
Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/orlando-2018

ARIA: What, Why and When
October 11, 2018.
Online
http://www.accessibilityassociation.org/content.asp?admin=Y&contentid=520

Web Summit
November 5-8, 2018.
Lisbon, Portugal
https://websummit.com/

Web Directions Summit
November 8-9, 2018.
Sydney, Australia
http://www.webdirections.org/wds/

+05: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Card Sorting: Uncover Users' Mental Models for Better Information Architecture
By Katie Sherwin.
"Card sorting is a UX research technique in which users organize
topics into groups. Use it to create an IA that suits your users'
expectations."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/card-sorting-definition/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

WAI-ARIA: the Dark Art of Accessibility?
By Jon Gibbins.
"…one area of accessibility that often stumps even the most
experienced developers, is WAI-ARIA - the Accessible Rich Internet
Applications…this is an awareness-raising blog post for web developers
about ARIA. It was prompted by an issue discovered on a client's
website that was using a carousel powered by Slick. I'm going to take
a look at some of the ARIA used by Slick."
https://diginclusion.com/blog/wai-aria-dark-art-of-accessibility/

Writing JavaScript with Accessibility in Mind
By Manuel Matuzovic.
"Tips on how to improve the accessibility of your JavaScript
components and provide users with more and better ways to interact
with your website or web app."
https://medium.com/@matuzo/writing-javascript-with-accessibility-in-mind-a1f6a5f467b9

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Tim Berners-Lee: We Must Regulate Tech Firms to Prevent 'Weaponised' Web
By Olivia Solon.
"The inventor of the world wide web warns over concentration of power
among a few companies 'controlling which ideas are shared'"
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/11/tim-berners-lee-tech-companies-regulations

33rd CSUN Assistive Technology Conference - Keynote (Video)
"The Center on Disabilities at CSUN is proud to open the 32nd CSUN
Assistive Technology Conference with an excellent keynote. Keynote
Address - Daniel Goldstein…" (Video starts about 31:08 and Dan
Goldstein begins at 37:47)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAEJx4GlRPQ

How Fast Is Amp Really?
By Tim Kadlec.
"…right now, the incentives being placed on AMP content seem to be
accomplishing exactly what you would think: they're incentivizing AMP,
not performance…"
https://timkadlec.com/remembers/2018-03-19-how-fast-is-amp-really/

Write It Down
By Mark Boulton.
"This is about a light-touch way of asking someone to slow down…I
welcome being asked to 'write it down'. It gives me permission to take
a breath. To pause and reflect on what I'm asking…Next time someone
asks you to do something, try it. I bet 3 times out of 10, they say
'oh it doesn't matter'. You'll have that time back. They'll be a
little wiser and have a lower heart rate."
https://markboulton.co.uk/journal/write-it-down

+08: TOOLS.

Bookmarklets for Nu Html Checker
By Steve Faulkner.
Running your HTML through a conformance checker will miss any errors
you may have introduced when adding to elements/attributes via
JavaScript. Steve's bookmarklet that will send the HTML DOM of a page
the Nu Html Checker.
https://validator.w3.org/nu/about.html#extras

+09: USABILITY.

Don't Shame Your Users Into Converting (Video)
By Kate Meyer and Kim Flaherty.
"Coercive tactics like Manipulinks and Please-Don't-Go try to shame
customers into doing what the company wants. Sacrificing long-term
customer loyalty for short-term gains is shortsighted."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/shame-users-to-convert/

Designing Button States
By Tyler Sticka.
"Buttons are a staple of any design system. The best ones are simple,
versatile, maybe even a little fun…"
https://cloudfour.com/thinks/designing-button-states/

Retain UX Talent by Tracking UX Capacity
By Hoa Loranger.
"Tracking UX capacity on Agile projects allows you to negotiate UX
commitments in terms stakeholders understand."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/tracking-ux-capacity/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson