[webdev] Web Design Update: November 28, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: November 28, 2018

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 06:19:56 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: November 28, 2018

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 23, November 28, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 23 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: EVALUATION & TESTING.
04: EVENTS.
05: JAVASCRIPT.
06: MISCELLANEOUS.
07: NAVIGATION.
08: SITES AND BLOGS.
09: TOOLS.
10: TYPOGRAPHY.
11: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Short Note on Role None or Presentation?
By Steve Faulkner.
"…All modern browsers support both role="none" and role="presentation…"
https://codepen.io/stevef/post/none-or-presentation

Understanding SC 1.2.5 Audio Description (Prerecorded)
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"The intent of this success criterion is to provide audio descriptions
to the videos so as to aid blind & visually impaired users understand
the visual aspect of the video content…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-2-5-audio-description-prerecorded/

Toggling Animations On and Off
By Kirupa Chinnathambi.
"…In this article, we are going to try to make everyone happy
independent of what their views on animations might be. We are going
to give our users full control over whether they want to see
animations or not, and we are going to do that by employing a few cool
technical tricks…"
https://www.kirupa.com/html5/toggling_animations_on_off.htm

Accessibility = Innovation
By Mischa Andrews.
'Innovation' is often used as an excuse for avoiding accessibility.
Let's pivot these conversations to get more people excited about
accessibility and an awesome future.
https://medium.com/@MischaAndrews/accessibility-innovation-20912107fc4e

First Website Accessibility Agreement Reached With WCAG 2.1 As Its Standard
By Lainey Feingold.
"On November 2, 2018 Alameda County California, three blind residents,
and the National Federation of the Blind announced a settlement
designed to protect the rights of blind voters to participate fully in
the county's voting program."
https://www.lflegal.com/2018/11/alameda-voting/

Fear is a Poor Motivator for Accessibility
By Lainey Feingold.
"This is a post about what happens when organizations work on
accessibility only because they are afraid of being sued. Six years
ago Jared Smith wrote about bad motivators for access. He wrote that
the best motivators are to reward, enlighten, and inspire. The worst
motivators are guilt and punishment. Today in the United States the
fear of lawsuits is driving too many access efforts. Lawsuits can be
important tools to protect rights. But they can also be used for the
wrong reasons. Those lawsuits can hurt disabled people needing to use
the law when the lack of access creates true barriers to technology
and information."
https://www.lflegal.com/2018/11/webaim-fear/

Silver Update (Presentation)
By Silver Task Force, W3C Accessibility Guidlines Working Group.
Slide Presentation on proposed goals, milestones, timeline, prototypes
and more for the next major revision of WCAG (code name 'Silver').
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1V_nYD27N6kx8gRha0rrdQK8aKyvg7kKXu6rs44We7IU/

Trump Team Reverses Controversial Changes to Handling of Civil Rights Probes
By Alyson Klein.
"U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos' office for civil rights is
reversing itself on several key changes to how it investigates civil
rights claims that had infuriated the civil rights community…"
https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/campaign-k-12/2018/11/trump-devos-civil-rights-changes-manual-special-education-complaints.html

Schools, Colleges Targeted for Websites' Alleged Inaccessibility to the Blind
By Scott O'Connell.
"The College of the Holy Cross became the latest local educational
institution to be targeted for allegedly failing to make its website
accessible to handicapped users last week when a New York man sued the
school in federal court…"
https://www.telegram.com/news/20181122/schools-colleges-targeted-for-websites-alleged-inaccessibility-to-blind

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Exclusions Will Hopefully Be Like More Powerful Grid-Friendly Floats
By Chris Coyier.
"Exclusions (which are currently in a 'working draft' spec as I write)
are kinda like float in that they allow inline content to wrap around
an element. But not exactly a float…"
https://css-tricks.com/exclusions-will-hopefully-be-like-more-powerful-grid-friendly-floats/

CSS Logical Properties and Values
By Chris David Mills, Rachel Andrew, et al.
"CSS Logical Properties and Values is a module of CSS introducing
logical properties and values that provide the ability to control
layout through logical, rather than physical, direction and dimension
mappings…"
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Logical_Properties

How to Organize Your CSS with a Modular Architecture (OOCSS, BEM, SMACSS)
By Claudio Mendonca.
"…In this article, I'll show you how to organize your CSS architecture
into HTML/CSS blocks that behave more like Lego blocks…"
https://snipcart.com/blog/organize-css-modular-architecture

How to Understand CSS Position Absolute Once and For All
By Marina Ferreira.
"Stop losing your elements on the screen by understanding how an
object figures where it is supposed to sit…"
https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to-understand-css-position-absolute-once-and-for-all-b71ca10cd3fd

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Observe, Test, Iterate, and Learn (Video)
By Don Norman.
"There isn't a next time in product development, so Don Norman says
that you must always study to keep up with the product cycle. "
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/observe-test-iterate-and-learn-don-norman/

Prototypes and Production
By Jeremy Keith.
"…every so often, we use the materials of front-end development- HTML,
CSS, and JavaScript - to produce something that isn't intended for
production. I'm talking about prototyping…"
https://adactio.com/journal/14562

Market Research vs User Research: How To Overcome Uncertainty
By Dan Jecan.
"…Market research mainly provides broad, quantitative insights about
people's attitudes and their willingness to buy a product. This, in
turn, informs marketing decisions…User research mainly provides deep,
focused qualitative insights about people's behavior and how they
would use a product. As a result, this informs design decisions…"
https://uxstudioteam.com/ux-blog/market-research-vs-user-research/

+04: EVENTS.

Accessibility and Compliance: How to Measure Digital Accessibility
December 11, 2018.
Online
https://accessibility.deque.com/accessibility-and-compliance-how-to-measure-digital-accessibility

Digital Accessibility: Lighting Talks & Holiday Social
December 11, 2018.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/a11ychi/events/256749111/
Live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbPiv0dAZk

ConFoo Montreal
March 13-15, 2019.
Montreal, Canada
https://confoo.ca/en/yul2019

DrupalCon Seattle
April 8-12, 2019.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://events.drupal.org/seattle2019

SmashingConf San Francisco
April 16-17, 2019.
San Francisco, Califorina, U.S.A.
https://smashingconf.com/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

aria-rowspan Property
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"aria-rowspan property defines the number of rows a cell spanned
within a table, grid or a treegrid…"
https://www.maxability.co.in/2018/11/aria-rowspan-property/

You Might Not Need a Loop
By Ire Aderinokun.
"In JavaScript, like any other language, there are several ways to
achieve the same result, some being more suited to certain situations
than others. One of the first concepts I learned about when learning
to code was loops, and it seemed like the answer to almost
everything…"
https://bitsofco.de/you-might-not-need-a-loop/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

Front-End Development is Not a Problem to be Solved
By Robin Rendle.
"…HTML and CSS are often seen as a burden…What's behind this feeling?
Well, designers want tools that let them draw pictures and export a
batch of CSS and HTML files like Dreamweaver promised back in the day.
On the other end, engineers don't want to sweat accessibility, web
performance or focus states among many, many other things…We should
see front-end development as a unique skillset that is critical to the
success of any project…"
https://css-tricks.com/front-end-development-is-not-a-problem-to-be-solved/

Should Designers Code
By Jens Oliver Meiert.
"…Although an understanding of adjacent fields is always useful,
designers 'should,' in the normative, imperative sense of the word,
not be able to develop. May-but not should."
https://meiert.com/en/blog/should-designers-code/

No, We Don't Really Care About Your Privacy
By Gerry McGovern.
"…If only you weren't so innocent. If only you placed more value on
your worth rather than on your convenience and getting free stuff. We
value your information because from your information we make money.
With your information we control you. You're our cash cow. How does it
feel to be the product?"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/no-we-dont-really-care-about-your-privacy/

+07: NAVIGATION.

ARIA Landmarks Example
By W3C ARIA Authoring Practices Task Force.
"Visually outline the landmarks and/or headings on the page using the
following buttons…"
https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices/examples/landmarks/HTML5.html

+08: SITES AND BLOGS.

24 Accessibility
By The 24 Accessibility Team (Dennis Deacon, Carie Fisher, and Scott O'Hara).
"24 Accessibility is a series of articles on all subjects related to
digital accessibility. During the first 24 days in the month of
December, we offer a daily dose of accessibility wisdom and insight
from a wide array of knowledge experts throughout the world…"
https://www.24a11y.com/

+09: TOOLS.

Stylify Me
By Annabelle Yoon and Michael Mrowetz.
"…gain an overview of the style guide of a site, including colours,
fonts, sizing and spacing. This tool allows the designer to research
sites efficiently without the need to inspect each element, in order
to be aware of current design trends and inform their own design
decisions…"
http://stylifyme.com/

+10: TYPOGRAPHY.

Quick Test: Resize Text
By Luis Garcia.
"Resize text and make sure everything on the page works. Repeat until
you get to 200% zoom. Seems simple? It is.…"
https://a11yproject.com/posts/resize-text/

Variable Fonts and Wide-Screen Layouts: Adopting Data-Driven
Progressive Enhancements
By Kathryn Whitenton and Sarah Gibbons.
"The NN/g website homepage now incorporates variable fonts and a
wide-screen layout - 2 technical adjustments which improve the user
experience for a subset of users on supported devices."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/variable-fonts-wide-screen-layout/

+11: USABILITY.

Usability - What It Means and How to Get There
By Meghan Horvath.
"…Let's dive in, unearthing just how this sought-after concept is
defined and shed light on how to achieve it for your product…"
https://usabilla.com/blog/usability-what-it-means-how-to-get-there/

Making the Complex World Understandable Through Intuitive Design
By Lauri Lukka.
"…Great designs act as an interpreter. They make our complex world
intuitive and understandable…"
https://uxdesign.cc/taming-complexity-c44c0447dec5

The User Experience of Chatbots
By Raluca Budiu.
"Far from being 'intelligent', today's chatbots guide users through
simple linear flows, and our user research shows that they have a hard
time whenever users deviate from such flows."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/chatbots/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson
University of Minnesota Duluth
Duluth, MN U.S.A. 55812-3009
mailto:lcarlson@d.umn.edu

[Issue ends.]
Attachments area

Preview YouTube video A11YChi Lightning Talks 2018

--

Sincerely,

David Dillard
astrojwne@...