[webdev] Web Design Update: November 1, 2018

David Dillard

[webdev] Web Design Update: November 1, 2018

Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>

Thu, Nov 1, 2018, 7:18 AM
to webdev
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 19, November 1, 2018.

design and development.

++ISSUE 19 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: COLOR.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: MISCELLANEOUS.
08: TOOLS.
09: TYPOGRAPHY.
10: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Designing Accessible Web with Privacy - When Web Browsing Reveals Information
By Lukasz Olejnik.
"…often it's actually security vs privacy vs accessibility. When
rotten compromises need to be, or are made this does not always lead
to best designs. The case described in this post is especially
challenging. It will touch many users. It concerns sensitive
information. And yet, good choices need to be made."
https://blog.lukaszolejnik.com/designing-accessible-web-with-privacy-when-web-browsing-reveals-information/

Survey of Users with Low Vision #2 Results
By Jared Smith.
"The results from our September 2018 Survey of Users with Low Vision
are available…"
https://webaim.org/blog/low-vision-survey2-results/

Negative Impacts of Withholding Form Labels
By Lindsey Kopacz.
"…One of the most common accessibility issues I've seen is fields
missing labels. The great news is it's one of the simplest
accessibility issues to fix…"
https://www.a11ywithlindsey.com/blog/negative-impacts-withholding-form-labels/

How to Make Custom Accessible Checkboxes and Radio Buttons
By Sami Keijonen.
"…we need to make sure our checkboxes and radio buttons remain
accessible to assistive technology (AT) and keyboard users. In this
tutorial I'll explain what this means and how we can do things
correctly in a few different ways…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-make-custom-accessible-checkboxes-and-radio-buttons--cms-32074

Understanding SC 1.3.1 Info and Relationship
By Sathish Kumar.
"Information, structure, and relationships conveyed through presentation can be
programmatically determined or are available in text. (Level A)…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/understanding-sc-1-3-1-info-and-relationship/

Writing Government Information for People with Cognitive Disabilities (Video)
By Jonathan Katz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mqeymglU7A

Accessibility Toronto Conference 2018 Review
By Dennis Lembree.
"The second Accessibility Toronto Conference was another success…"
http://www.webaxe.org/accessibility-toronto-conference-2018-review/

Selfish Accessibility - Harbour Front HK
By Adrian Roselli.
"The slides from my talk at Harbour Front Hong Kong…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2018/10/selfish-accessibility-harbour-front-hk.html

Your Inaccessible Website is a Sitting Duck
By Fastspot.
"Large, complicated sites with decentralized contribution models are
breeding grounds for non compliant content. That's higher ed's
signature state…"
https://www.fastspot.com/publications/your-inaccessible-website-is-a-sitting-duck/

New York Wineries Sued over Website Accessibility for Visually Impaired
By Brianne Garrett.
"Lawsuits accuse wineries like Long Island's Wolffer Estate of
violating the Americans with Disabilities Act…"
https://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/New-York-Wineries-Sued-over-Website-Accessibility

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

30 Seconds of CSS
By Atomiks.
"A curated collection of useful CSS snippets you can understand in 30
seconds or less…"
https://30-seconds.github.io/30-seconds-of-css/

Splicing HTML's DNA With CSS Attribute Selectors
By John Rhea.
"Attribute selectors are magical. They can get you out of sticky
problems, help you avoid adding classes and point out some problems in
your code. But don't worry, while attribute selectors are complex and
powerful, they're easy to learn and easy to utilize. In this article,
we'll discuss how they operate and give you some ideas about how to
use them…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/10/attribute-selectors-splicing-html-dna-css/

The CSS Working Group At TPAC: What's New In CSS?
By Rachel Andrew.
"…In this article, I'll explain a little bit about what happens at
TPAC, and show some examples and demos of the things we discussed at
TPAC for CSS in particular…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2018/10/tpac-css-working-group-new/

+03: COLOR.

How to Use the Contrast Checker in Chrome DevTools
By Kezz Bracey.
"…Begin by opening Chrome/Chromium Dev tools and selecting any text
element in your HTML…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-use-the-contrast-checker-in-chrome-devtools--cms-31504

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Usability Testing w. 5 Users: Design Process (Video)
By Jakob Nielsen.
"Formative usability testing is best done with a small number of study
participants, so that you have time and budget to test more design
iterations of the user interface."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/usability-testing-w-5-users-design-process/

Building a UX Metrics Scorecard
By Jeff Sauro.
"Use multiple ways to visualize metric performance (colors, grades,
and distances) and include external benchmarks, competitor data, and
levels of precision when possible…"
https://measuringu.com/ux-scorecard/

The Pitfalls of Running A/B Tests
By Ariel Verber.
"…I've always been a big advocate of A/B tests, but time led me to
learn that they're highly addictive and sometimes not very justified…"
https://medium.com/joytunes/the-pitfalls-of-running-a-b-tests-4da7141960d7

The Accidental Discovery of Top Tasks (Part 2)
By Gerry McGovern.
"…Design and evolve through use. Design with people. Don't let the
effort you invested in something become a ball and chain. Don't let
your expectations, attitudes and opinions get in the way of the
evidence. Stay open, connected and constantly evolving within the
network."
http://gerrymcgovern.com/the-accidental-discovery-of-top-tasks-part-2/

Using Task Ease (SEQ) to Predict Completion Rates and Times
By Jeff Sauro.
"…One of the more popular post-task questionnaires is the Single Ease
Question (SEQ). It's a single item that assesses how easy or difficult
participants think a task is…"
https://measuringu.com/seq-prediction/

Stage 5 in the Design Thinking Process: Test
By Rikke Dam and Teo Siang.
"There are a wide range of testing methods available to designers
during a Design Thinking project; many of which stem from the
methodologies typically used during Human-computer interaction (HCI)
and User-centered design (UCD) tests…"
https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/stage-5-in-the-design-thinking-process-test

+05: EVENTS.

WCAG 2.1: What You Need to Know About the Most Recent Accessibility Standards
November 1, 2018.
Online.
https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2699013368175158531

8th Cross-Government Accessibility Meet Up
November 8, 2018.
Edinburgh, Scotland
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/8th-cross-government-accessibility-meet-up-tickets-51584868731

Writing & Reading the VPAT: A Webinar Double Feature
November 13, 2018.
Online
https://levelaccess.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qsiUVvW-QMiF6ZtS2jOFzw

CSUN Assistive Technology Conference
March 11-10, 2019.
Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
http://www.csun.edu/cod/conference/2019/sessions/

Accessibility Lawsuits, How to Handle Them; How to Avoid Them
March 11-12, 2019.
Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
https://www.accessibility.legal/

+06: HTML.

Keyboard Accessibility Tips Using HTML and CSS
By Anna Monus.
"…Here are some keyboard accessibility tips you can quickly implement
using basic HTML and CSS…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/keyboard-accessibility-tips-using-html-and-css--cms-31966

Internationalization Techniques: Authoring HTML & CSS
By W3C.
"This page lists links to resources on the W3C Internationalization
Activity site and elsewhere that help you author HTML and CSS for
internationalization. It is one of several techniques pages."
https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html

Quick Tip: Use the 'lang' Attribute for Better Accessibility
By Eric Bailey.
"The lang attribute is one of the global HTML attributes developers
can apply to any HTML element, and it can really help with
accessibility…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/tutorials/use-the-lang-attribute-for-better-accessibility--cms-31961

You're Using <em> Wrong
By Facundo Corradini.
"And I am too. And so is everybody else…"
https://logrocket.com/blog/youre-using-em-wrong/

Screenreader Support for Text-Level Semantics
By Bruce Lawson.
"…should we stop using text-level semantics? Well,
<strong>no</strong>. They continue to add meaning to sighted users,
and as Watters says, some AT users can benefit from them. But don't
over-use them. Like adding title attributes to all your links, there's
such a thing as too much accessibility."
https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2018/screenreader-support-for-text-level-semantics/

+07: MISCELLANEOUS.

Facts are Stubborn Things
By Heather Burns.
"…you might think that privacy and accessibility are universally
respected concepts and values. Truths we hold to be self-evident. They
are not…"
https://webdevlaw.uk/2018/10/23/facts-are-stubborn-things/

Report on the Accessibility Status of Gutenberg
By Joe Dolson.
"…In the short term, we hope to resolve all accessibility issues that
are true barriers to the use of Gutenberg. In the long term, we hope
to improve the integration of accessibility into all future WordPress
design processes…"
https://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/2018/10/29/report-on-the-accessibility-status-of-gutenberg/

Accessibility: A Developer's Pledge
By Jonathan Desrosiers.
"I challenge everyone to step back and think about what they have done
recently to progress accessibility in WordPress, and consider why they
have not done more…"
https://jonathandesrosiers.com/2018/10/accessibility-a-developers-pledge/

Google Wants to Kill the URL
By Lily Hay Newman.
"…As Emily Stark, a technical lead at Chrome puts it, the project is
the URLephant in the room."
https://www.wired.com/story/google-wants-to-kill-the-url/

+08: TOOLS.

WCAG 2.0 Parsing Validation Tools
By Jon Gibbins.
"Tools that filter the results of the W3C's Nu validator to show only
results that are related to accessibility according to WCAG 2.0
Success Criterion 4.1.1 Parsing…"
https://dotjay.github.io/wcag-parsing-filter/

Trashy.css (Bookmarklet)
By Nathan Smith et al.
"…a CSS 'library' that styles tags directly - as opposed to using
class names as style hooks - to help people become more familiar with
how to use semantic HTML…"
https://t7.github.io/trashy.css/

+09: TYPOGRAPHY.

Designing Accessible Content: Typography, Font Styling, and Structure
By Carie Fisher.
"…Let's look at all the steps and design considerations you'll need to
take into account when making your content more accessible…"
https://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/designing-accessible-content-typography-font-styling-and-structure--cms-31934

+10: USABILITY.

The Vortex: Why Users Feel Trapped in Their Devices
By Kate Moran and Kim Flaherty.
"Many users report anxiety and lack of control over the amount of time
they spend online. We call this feeling 'the Vortex'"
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/device-vortex/

Stop Building Websites with Infinite Scroll!
By Fatih Kadir Akin.
"In this article, we will explain why you need to stop building
websites with infinite scroll…"
https://logrocket.com/blog/infinite-scroll/

No Good, Very Bad UX Writing Mistakes
By Melissa Mapes.
"…here's a roundup of the top 10 issues that I've seen appear most
often, much to the detriment of the user experience…"
https://uxplanet.org/no-good-very-bad-ux-writing-mistakes-a01b85428f04

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson