TECHNOLOGY : BUSINESS: CORPORATIONS: NAMED CORPORATIONS: APPLE : UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI) : INTERNET: SECURITY : PRIVACY: Did the FBI Just Win Its Fight Against Apple? Not Really.

David P. Dillard

.

.

TECHNOLOGY :

BUSINESS: CORPORATIONS: NAMED CORPORATIONS: APPLE :

UNITED STATES: GOVERNMENT: FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI) :

INTERNET: SECURITY :

PRIVACY:

Did the FBI Just Win Its Fight Against Apple? Not Really.

.

.

Did the FBI Just Win Its Fight Against Apple? Not Really.

Susan Hennessey

The FBIs hacking feat with the San Bernadino phone does nothing to solve the larger issues. Instead, the debate will be settled over time by many small compromises and trade-offs.

March 29, 2016

MIT Technology Review

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601140/ did-the-fbi-just-win-its-fight-against-apple-not-really/

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/jsv325l

.

.

Apple vs. the FBI presents just such a trade-off. We can promote maximally secure information technology systems and pay some real costs in terms of how effective law enforcement can be. Or we can promote maximally efficient law enforcement and pay some real costs in the potential compromise to our information systems. Neither scenario offers the idealbut as Okun noted, when faced with irreconcilable values, the American system is designed to continually refine the balance.

.

Making trade-offs is crucial. The future wont be won by ideologues who speak in absolutes. Instead, we need reasonable people willing to honestly confront the downsides of every choice. Such complicated matters wont be settled by any individual court case or piece of legislation. Instead, the issues will be continually challenged and refined over time.

.

Despite the prevailing winner-take-all rhetoric, its possible to create meaningful legislation thats both modest and flexible. Rather than broad edicts about what must be accessible to law enforcement, Congress can set forth the factors that courts should consider when determining if a company should be compelled to provide a particular type of assistance and expressly limit what the government may request.

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.io/g/indoor-gardening
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

STATISTICS SOURCES RESEARCH GUIDE
http://guides.temple.edu/statistics-sources

Social Work and Social Issues Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/social-work

Tourism Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/Tourism

Digital Scholarship Discussion Group
https://groups.io/g/DigitalScholarship/threads
https://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=DIGITAL-SCHOLARSHIP
https://digitalscholarshipandscholarlypublication.wordpress.com/

Copyright Research Guide
http://guides.temple.edu/copyright-plagiarism
Fair Use
http://guides.temple.edu/fair-use

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/o4pn4o9

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

.

.

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

.

.

Join Net-Gold@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.