DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUES: Multi-Step Searching in ProQuest Databases and Google Domain Limited Web Search

David P. Dillard

..

..

DATABASE SEARCHING TECHNIQUES:

Multi-Step Searching in ProQuest Databases and Google Domain Limited Web Search

..

..

The content of this post comes from information I shared in a discussion on another Listserv list.

..

..

In a previous post I indicated that while ProQuest databases do provide a method for multi-step searching, it is somewhat complex and difficult to find on their search interface, quoting this post from that point:

..

..

"Thanks for bringing these Proquest tips to the discussion.

My point was that for an undergraduate or even a graduate student getting to a search history and using it in Proquest is convoluted and I am not sure students are easily figure this out and use it.

In EBSCOHost one must click on Search History and you are good to go with your multi-step searching.

You are quite correct that a very long one step search can be executed in Command line search, BUT!!!!

1. The user must figure out how to use parenthesis to correctly parse the "and" and "or" content for this complex search.

2. Figure out that they need to click on "Advanced" and from the drop down menu select "Command Line"

3. Do multiple search steps in Command line, clearing previous search steps

4. Click on Recent searches at the top of the screen, it is preceded by the number of search steps you have done.

5 Only numeric search combinations are accepted on this screen.

Sample search from Proquest Social Science

Select item 7
S7
S5 AND S6
ProQuest Social Science Journals
21
Actions
Select item 6
S6
all("SOCIAL SCIENCE" OR "POLITICAL SCIENCE")
ProQuest Social Science Journals
486088*
Actions
Select item 5
S5
all("SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS")
ProQuest Social Science Journals
323
Actions
Select item 4
S4
all("SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS")
ProQuest Social Science Journals
323
Actions
Select item 3
S3
all("SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS")
ProQuest Social Science Journals
323
Actions
Select item 2
S2
all("SOCIAL SCIENCE" OR "POLITICAL SCIENCE")
ProQuest Social Science Journals
486088*
Actions
Select item 1
S1
all("SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS")
ProQuest Social Science Journals
323
Actions

Some titles from the results in step 7

How Contexts and Issues Influence the Use of Policy-Relevant Research Syntheses: A Critical Interpretive Synthesis

The Campbell Collaboration Crime and Justice Group

Systematic Reviews and Health Policy: The Influence of a Project on Perinatal Care since 1988

Maximizing the Impact of Systematic Reviews in Health Care Decision Making: A Systematic Scoping Review of Knowledge-Translation Resources

Extending systematic reviews to include evidence on implementation: Methodological work on a review of community-based initiatives to prevent injuries

Wow, if you thought that EBSCOHosts procedure for emailing records was convoluted, this sure has that one beat by miles and in a much more critical area of searching, conducting the search. No wonder students flock back to Google (or Google Scholar or Google Books or Summon if we are lucky) Dealing with the intricacies of database searching requires training and practice of which very little is given. Most complex skill sets at college are taught in semester long courses, not one hour instruction sessions.

Now, back to my content on free search tools, I contributed this list:

Free

Summon

http://library.temple.edu

Google Scholar

Google Books

Trip

PogoFrog

PubMed (but you already know that <g>

Worldcat

I FORGOT A VERY IMPORTANT ONE

WEB SEARCH GOOGLE

How many of us have told lots of classes in instruction sessions or one on one.

"Do not use Google for serious research"

I have my hand raised, but not since October.

In October I saw a post that contained one URL that caught my attention on, guess where, of course, MEDLIB-L. I saw this URL, scratched my head and pondered, what else can we do with this. The site: can be replaced with and, but I do see variation from and results when site: is used instead, so try both but site: adds emphasis to that part of the search to the eye of users of the results

Please consider these links that I just posted privately and that will be wending their way to my blogs.

Quoting from my private post:

Please also note that Google web search is a free database and should be used.

Consider this search "medical research" AND ("literature review" OR "literature reviews" OR "literature surveys" OR review of the literature" OR survey of the literature" OR "systematic review")

Plain Google Search

Not wonderful, but not too bad either

http://tinyurl.com/nbxj5sb

KEEP REMINDING YOURSELF THIS IS GOOGLE!!!!!

Moving into high gear with Google Domain Limited Web Search

Exhibit A

http://tinyurl.com/nbxj5sb

Exhibit B

http://tinyurl.com/nh6z75l

Exhibit C

http://tinyurl.com/nlzevrr

Exhibit D

http://tinyurl.com/otnewng

Exhibit E

http://tinyurl.com/q487znb

In case you like "domain limited Google Web Search"

Here are more examples:

http://tinyurl.com/kq5xyfb "

..

..

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides
http://tinyurl.com/qy3gq6g
AND

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard

Temple University Site Map

Bushell, R. & Sheldon, P. (eds),
David P. Dillard
http://tinyurl.com/p63whl

Rail Transportation

INDOOR GARDENING

SPORT-MED

..

..

Please Ignore All Links to JIGLU
Temple University Listserv Alert :
Years 2009 and 2010 Eliminated from Archives

..

..

Join Net-Gold@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.