Last night the NAFA Executive Committee held a teleconference to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic and how it impacts our sport. The number one priority is the health, safety and well-being of our competitors. NAFA would therefore like to provide some recommendations to Tournament Participants, Tournament Hosts and Regional Directors in light of this outbreak.
- If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 within a 14-day period and/or you are showing signs and symptoms and/or have tested positive for COVID-19, do not attend a tournament.
- Be sure to wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use hand sanitizers
- Avoid unnecessary contact with others and avoid touching your face
- If you need to pull a team from a tournament due to health reasons communicate that as quickly as possible to the Tournament Hosts so they can make appropriate decisions about the event
- After the event if any attendee develops signs and symptoms and/or receives a positive diagnosis for COVID-19 within 14 days of the tournament inform the Tournament Director and the Regional Director immediately.
- It is recommended that anyone who has come in contact with someone who developed signs and symptoms and/or tested positive for COVID-19 should minimally self-quarantines for a 14-day period or as otherwise instructed by your health provider
Tournament Hosts and Regional Directors
- Be aware of where to find information from your local health authorities and share updates to those planning to attend the tournament before and up to the tournament date
- Ensure you are aware of and understand the cancelation policies in the rental contract for the tournament venue
- Only individuals participating in tournaments should attend. Consider not inviting the general public to your events
- Make soap and hand sanitizer available to participants
- Recognize that teams may make last minute decisions to not attend a tournament due to health reasons. This may require last minute changes to teams and/or the schedule. The Performance Team rules can be utilized for Regular and Multibreed teams and consider allowing 2 partial Open teams to combine allowing those in attendance to still participate. The Performance Rules may be relaxed a bit during this time (e.g., on day 2 of a tournament someone feels ill and leaves the tournament NAFA would allow that team to go Performance even though it is mid-tournament). Contact Neil Flood and/or Steve Corona with any specific questions before or during a tournament.
- A reminder that NAFA fees are not required for teams that withdraw from the tournament completely and therefore no scoring is required. NAFA recommends at least returning the NAFA fee portion of the entry fee to those teams. Decisions to return the full entry fee and/or allow that team to use it for a future event are up to the host club.
- If a host club or the Regional Director becomes aware of someone at a tournament that became ill and/or tested positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of the event, immediately communicate that information to all attendees of the tournament.
Again, we want to reiterate that the health and well-being of everyone is paramount. Information surrounding COVID-19 is continually evolving. Please be sure to check for updated information through your national and local authorities as well as the World Health Organization website at https://www.who.int/.
If there are any questions, please contact Neil Flood nflood51@... and/or Steve Corona flyballguy@....
Thank you, and please be safe.
North American Flyball Association, Executive Director