Topics

WKUSB 31 embedded memory functions?

Is there a way to use the embedded memory functions of the WKUSB keyer with ACLog?

When I use the WKUSB 31 in standalone mode, I have my callsign programmed to insert a longer letter space after the first 2 characters.  I've been doing this for decades with my old CMOS 3 keyer, and it works great with the WKUSB using the /Inn command.  The A and E at the beginning of my call run together in normal spacing at higher speeds. Readability is improved by spacing them out a bit, but obviously not a word length or it wouldn't sound like a callsign.

What I can't get to work is inserting that spacing when programming memories with ACLog. 
Are the many embedded commands supposed to work from PC logging software?

Thanks - Glenn AE0Q

Scott Davis

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That's actually a question for K1EL, the Winkeyer manufacturer.  He wrote the Winkeyer section of code that my software uses.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Jun 4, 2020 10:32 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] WKUSB 31 embedded memory functions?

Is there a way to use the embedded memory functions of the WKUSB keyer with ACLog?

When I use the WKUSB 31 in standalone mode, I have my callsign programmed to insert a longer letter space after the first 2 characters.  I've been doing this for decades with my old CMOS 3 keyer, and it works great with the WKUSB using the /Inn command.  The A and E at the beginning of my call run together in normal spacing at higher speeds. Readability is improved by spacing them out a bit, but obviously not a word length or it wouldn't sound like a callsign.

What I can't get to work is inserting that spacing when programming memories with ACLog. 

Thanks - Glenn AE0Q

Ken Gunther

According to the Winkeyer manual sending a "|" (0x7C) will send a 1/2 DIT. You may need to send a few of them to get your desired effect.

Ken WB2KWC

On 6/5/2020 05:31, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That's actually a question for K1EL, the Winkeyer manufacturer.  He wrote the Winkeyer section of code that my software uses.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Thu, Jun 4, 2020 10:32 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] WKUSB 31 embedded memory functions?

Thanks - Glenn AE0Q

Well, this is still an issue.  I used the CQ WPX Contest program for the CW weekend (in May) with the K1EL WKUSB 3.1 keyer, and had many busted calls, as in MY call busted by other people.  The A and E and 0 all coming close together (at normal character spacing) confuses many people.

In the standalone mode I use the "|" (0x7C) character (a shift \) to add extra spacing between the A, E and 0,   But the N3FJP program sends garbage to the keyer if I try to include that character in memories when using the WKUSB keyer setup for my call and memories.

I'm using N3FJP CWops CWT program for the Wednesday short contests, most people get my call first time but I had to program a memory with a WORD space between A E 0  (like A E 0Q) for repeats, which are a lot.  For years I've used the Logikey K1 and K3 keyers with the extra character spacing programmed into my call, but of course they aren't controlled by the PC.  I'd rather not go back to DOS and TRLog for CW contesting :-)  TRLog could add the spacing, but Windows programs send crappy CW without the K1EL keyer interface.

So, has anyone figured out how to embed that extra dit space between letters in the N3FJP programs, using the K1EL keyer??  This is really a drag.

Glenn AE0Q

Pat Whelton

Hi Glen.  I frequently have my call butchered during contests.  My call is KZ5J and I usually get my call copied as K7HJ a lot.  Scott has some special symbols to either speed up or slow down a letter.  So I have one of my function keys set up as K))Z((5J and it has the effect of slowing down the ‘Z’.  It seems to help.  I use the Winkeyer.

While this may not be exactly what you are looking for you might want to play around with it.

Good luck.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn AE0Q
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] WKUSB 31 embedded memory functions?

Well, this is still an issue.  I used the CQ WPX Contest program for the CW weekend (in May) with the K1EL WKUSB 3.1 keyer, and had many busted calls, as in MY call busted by other people.  The A and E and 0 all coming close together (at normal character spacing) confuses many people.

In the standalone mode I use the "|" (0x7C) character (a shift \) to add extra spacing between the A, E and 0,   But the N3FJP program sends garbage to the keyer if I try to include that character in memories when using the WKUSB keyer setup for my call and memories.

I'm using N3FJP CWops CWT program for the Wednesday short contests, most people get my call first time but I had to program a memory with a WORD space between A E 0  (like A E 0Q) for repeats, which are a lot.  For years I've used the Logikey K1 and K3 keyers with the extra character spacing programmed into my call, but of course they aren't controlled by the PC.  I'd rather not go back to DOS and TRLog for CW contesting :-)  TRLog could add the spacing, but Windows programs send crappy CW without the K1EL keyer interface.

So, has anyone figured out how to embed that extra dit space between letters in the N3FJP programs, using the K1EL keyer??  This is really a drag.

Glenn AE0Q

Kevin Gray

Glenn

Go to :

Settings>Transmit>CW Setup

In the form that appears, read the “Description” section. Especially the following:

Other special characters are as follows:

: KN

< AR

= BT

> SK

@ AS

[ QRZ

] QSL

^ 8 dit error

( Faster by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

) Slower by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

73 Kevin

N9VPV

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn AE0Q
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 7:15 PM

Glenn AE0Q

Yes, been there many times.  Some of them do work with the WKUSB  [the faster/slower () works]  but the "|" for extra dit spacing doesn't. 

I emailed Steve K1EL last year, if the computer program sends it to the keyer, it works.  But N3FJP programs don't interpret it right. 

I'm hoping someone has discovered a work-around for it..

Glenn AE0Q

"So I have one of my function keys set up as K))Z((5J and it has the effect of slowing down the ‘Z’.  It seems to help.  I use the Winkeyer.

While this may not be exactly what you are looking for you might want to play around with it."

Thanks, Pat, I'll do that for now :-)  Great idea!

Glenn AE0Q

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 07:55 PM, Kevin Gray wrote:

Other special characters are as follows:

: KN

< AR

= BT

> SK

@ AS

[ QRZ

] QSL

^ 8 dit error

( Faster by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

) Slower by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

The problem is these are commands to Scott's software, which then sends the appropriate K1EL commands to the keyer.  There is no command for padding the inter-character spacing.  The keyer HAS the command, but the PC program doesn't.
Glenn AE0Q

Larry Banks

If you read the CW description (CNTRL-W) in Scott’s programs you will note that “|” is not listed as a viable command.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2021 22:35

Yes, been there many times.  Some of them do work with the WKUSB  [the faster/slower () works]  but the "|" for extra dit spacing doesn't. 

I emailed Steve K1EL last year, if the computer program sends it to the keyer it works.  But N3FJP programs don't interpret it right.

Glenn AE0Q
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#46503) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

This user group is a great forum for asking questions and sharing ideas with the valuable resource of both new and experienced N3FJP Software users, but it does get busy. There is an easy way to cut down on the e-mail volume.

If you only want to receive announcements from Kimberly and me regarding upgrades and new products, please join our "announcements only" list instead. We keep e-mail to the "announcements only" list to an absolute minimum. Please join here:

https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftware

Then unsubscribe from this user group by sending a blank e-mail to:N3FJPSoftwareUsers+unsubscribe@groups.io

As always, thanks for your interest, kind thoughts, support and spreading the word about our software!

73, Scott & Kimberly
N3FJP & KA3SEQ
http://www.n3fjp.com/

Serving the Amateur Radio Community with general logging and contesting software since 1997.
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [larrybw1dyj@...]
__,_._,_

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

Steve, K1EL wrote all the Winkeyer code, but I just double checked and he has the following coded for the | character:

case '|':
wk_char(0x1b);  // translate merge to WK's merge

I'm not clear what Steve's intention is for that character from his "translate merge" documentation in his code.  In my testing here, there is actually less space following the character which it precedes.  

For example, if I put this in an F Key string:

V|VV

The spacing between the first two Vs is fine, but the spacing between the second and third is shorter than normal.

I have verified that the | character is being handed to Steve's character mapping section when included in the F key string.  It is obvious that Winkeyr is receiving it and that it is having an affect, though I understand, not the one you were looking for.  You may need to ping K!EL on this one.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Feb 3, 2021 9:14 am

If you read the CW description (CNTRL-W) in Scott’s programs you will note that “|” is not listed as a viable command.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

I emailed Steve K1EL last year, if the computer program sends it to the keyer it works.  But N3FJP programs don't interpret it right.

Glenn AE0Q

Larry Banks

I wonder if Steve’s intention is to allow the generation of prosigns, such as AR, from individual letters.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2021 9:54

Hi Guys,

Steve, K1EL wrote all the Winkeyer code, but I just double checked and he has the following coded for the | character:

case '|':
wk_char(0x1b);  // translate merge to WK's merge

I'm not clear what Steve's intention is for that character from his "translate merge" documentation in his code.  In my testing here, there is actually less space following the character which it precedes. 

For example, if I put this in an F Key string:

V|VV

The spacing between the first two Vs is fine, but the spacing between the second and third is shorter than normal.

I have verified that the | character is being handed to Steve's character mapping section when included in the F key string.  It is obvious that Winkeyr is receiving it and that it is having an affect, though I understand, not the one you were looking for.  You may need to ping K!EL on this one.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Feb 3, 2021 9:14 am

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Glenn AE0Q

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 07:54 AM, Scott Davis wrote:
translate merge
I think that is the character merge command for making prosigns.

" Merge Letters <1B>[C][C] Merge Two Letters into a ProsignYou can build "on the fly" prosigns with this command. Issue the merge command followed by two letters or numbers and they will be merged together: <1B> [A] [R] is sent as AR. Note that nothing will be sent until both letters have been received. Several common prosigns such as AR, SK, BT, and DN are already assigned (see page 16)."

The added dit spacing is
"
Gap (Extra Space) Insertion  WK3 interprets the | character (hex 0x7C) as a ½ dit delay time. The | character can be included in a text string to add extra emphasis to similar sounding sequences. An example is W1OMO, sending it as W1|O|M|O makes it easier to copy."

Can you try that one, Scott ?

Glenn AE0Q

Scott Davis

Hi Glenn,

Steve's Winkeyer is interpreting | as 0x1b.  There is no reference to 0x7C anywhere in his code.

I am willing to try to add the 0x7C command, but I don't want to just grab a mapping character out of the air.  I'm knee deep in an entirely different section of code right now with no time to switch gears, but if you suggest a single available character, I will send you a beta to try.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Feb 3, 2021 11:25 am

translate merge

" Merge Letters <1B>[C][C] Merge Two Letters into a ProsignYou can build "on the fly" prosigns with this command. Issue the merge command followed by two letters or numbers and they will be merged together: <1B> [A] [R] is sent as AR. Note that nothing will be sent until both letters have been received. Several common prosigns such as AR, SK, BT, and DN are already assigned (see page 16)."

The added dit spacing is
"
Gap (Extra Space) Insertion  WK3 interprets the | character (hex 0x7C) as a ½ dit delay time. The | character can be included in a text string to add extra emphasis to similar sounding sequences. An example is W1OMO, sending it as W1|O|M|O makes it easier to copy."

Glenn AE0Q

Hi Scott,

I got this from Steve this AM :-)

" The ascii code for Vertical Bar is 0x7C. Insert that into your text and have Scott pass that through to WK. As long as he does not translate the ascii code to something else it will be processed by WK. O|K|?  "

Can you add it to the CWops CWT Contest program for me to try?

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!
Glenn AE0Q

Scott Davis

Hi Glenn,

I contacted Steve, K1EL, who originally wrote the Winkeyer code used in my software.  In consultation with Steve, we have change the | character from merging two letters to the underscore _.  The | now adds a very small amount of extra space, so you may want to use several in succession to achieve what you are looking for.

You can test this in CW Ops CWT 2.2.1 Beta:

http://n3fjp.com/programs/CWOPSCWTBETA.exe

Please let me know how you make out!

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Feb 3, 2021 11:53 am

Hi Glenn,

Steve's Winkeyer is interpreting | as 0x1b.  There is no reference to 0x7C anywhere in his code.

I am willing to try to add the 0x7C command, but I don't want to just grab a mapping character out of the air.  I'm knee deep in an entirely different section of code right now with no time to switch gears, but if you suggest a single available character, I will send you a beta to try.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Feb 3, 2021 11:25 am

translate merge

The added dit spacing is
"

Glenn AE0Q