Topics

WKUSB 31 embedded memory functions?

Is there a way to use the embedded memory functions of the WKUSB keyer with ACLog?

When I use the WKUSB 31 in standalone mode, I have my callsign programmed to insert a longer letter space after the first 2 characters.  I've been doing this for decades with my old CMOS 3 keyer, and it works great with the WKUSB using the /Inn command.  The A and E at the beginning of my call run together in normal spacing at higher speeds. Readability is improved by spacing them out a bit, but obviously not a word length or it wouldn't sound like a callsign.

What I can't get to work is inserting that spacing when programming memories with ACLog.
Are the many embedded commands supposed to work from PC logging software?

Thanks - Glenn AE0Q

Scott Davis

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That's actually a question for K1EL, the Winkeyer manufacturer.  He wrote the Winkeyer section of code that my software uses.

Is there a way to use the embedded memory functions of the WKUSB keyer with ACLog?

When I use the WKUSB 31 in standalone mode, I have my callsign programmed to insert a longer letter space after the first 2 characters.  I've been doing this for decades with my old CMOS 3 keyer, and it works great with the WKUSB using the /Inn command.  The A and E at the beginning of my call run together in normal spacing at higher speeds. Readability is improved by spacing them out a bit, but obviously not a word length or it wouldn't sound like a callsign.

What I can't get to work is inserting that spacing when programming memories with ACLog.
Are the many embedded commands supposed to work from PC logging software?

Thanks - Glenn AE0Q

Ken Gunther

  According to the Winkeyer manual sending a "|" (0x7C) will send a 1/2 DIT. You may need to send a few of them to get your desired effect.

                                        Ken WB2KWC

On 6/5/2020 05:31, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Well, this is still an issue.  I used the CQ WPX Contest program for the CW weekend (in May) with the K1EL WKUSB 3.1 keyer, and had many busted calls, as in MY call busted by other people.  The A and E and 0 all coming close together (at normal character spacing) confuses many people.

In the standalone mode I use the "|" (0x7C) character (a shift \) to add extra spacing between the A, E and 0,   But the N3FJP program sends garbage to the keyer if I try to include that character in memories when using the WKUSB keyer setup for my call and memories.

I'm using N3FJP CWops CWT program for the Wednesday short contests, most people get my call first time but I had to program a memory with a WORD space between A E 0  (like A E 0Q) for repeats, which are a lot.  For years I've used the Logikey K1 and K3 keyers with the extra character spacing programmed into my call, but of course they aren't controlled by the PC.  I'd rather not go back to DOS and TRLog for CW contesting :-)  TRLog could add the spacing, but Windows programs send crappy CW without the K1EL keyer interface.

So, has anyone figured out how to embed that extra dit space between letters in the N3FJP programs, using the K1EL keyer??  This is really a drag.

Glenn AE0Q

Pat Whelton

Hi Glen.  I frequently have my call butchered during contests.  My call is KZ5J and I usually get my call copied as K7HJ a lot.  Scott has some special symbols to either speed up or slow down a letter.  So I have one of my function keys set up as K))Z((5J and it has the effect of slowing down the ‘Z’.  It seems to help.  I use the Winkeyer.

While this may not be exactly what you are looking for you might want to play around with it.

Good luck.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

[...]

Kevin Gray

Glenn

Go to :

Settings>Transmit>CW Setup

In the form that appears, read the “Description” section. Especially the following:

Other special characters are as follows:

: KN

< AR

= BT

> SK

@ AS

[ QRZ

] QSL

^ 8 dit error

( Faster by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

) Slower by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

73 Kevin

N9VPV

[...]

Yes, been there many times.  Some of them do work with the WKUSB  [the faster/slower () works]  but the "|" for extra dit spacing doesn't.

I emailed Steve K1EL last year, if the computer program sends it to the keyer, it works.  But N3FJP programs don't interpret it right.

I'm hoping someone has discovered a work-around for it..

Glenn AE0Q

"So I have one of my function keys set up as K))Z((5J and it has the effect of slowing down the ‘Z’.  It seems to help.  I use the Winkeyer.

 While this may not be exactly what you are looking for you might want to play around with it."

Thanks, Pat, I'll do that for now :-)  Great idea!

Glenn AE0Q

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 07:55 PM, Kevin Gray wrote:

Other special characters are as follows:

: KN

< AR

= BT

> SK

@ AS

[ QRZ

] QSL

^ 8 dit error

( Faster by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

) Slower by 2 WPM (can be grouped)

The problem is these are commands to Scott's software, which then sends the appropriate K1EL commands to the keyer.  There is no command for padding the inter-character spacing.  The keyer HAS the command, but the PC program doesn't.
Glenn AE0Q

Larry Banks

If you read the CW description (CNTRL-W) in Scott’s programs you will note that “|” is not listed as a viable command.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ