Topics

Wish List for next release of AC Log #newrelease

Steve <n6qek@...>

Scott...

Please add a QTH field in the next update/release of ACLog. I cannot imagine why that what not included in the first release.  Your software is very nice and does just about everything, not having a QTH field is like building a house and not putting in windows....it's basic.

Converting an "other" field to QTH does not work when updating random QSO's (records) from what I understand.  QTH is only populated when downloading an ADIF file into ACL.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions for a QTH field as a wish list item.  That is certainly possible in the distant future, but adding an additional field at this late stage of the current incarnation of AC Log isn't feasible without altering the database structure (and many other code components under the hood), which has obvious implications beyond a single data point, including causing potential incompatibility with previous versions.

That is why I was begging for all the input I could get during the rewrite phase 8 years ago (in the previous e-mail you replied to).  When I asked the users group for additional field suggestions, no one had any interest in a dedicated QTH / City field.  Even so, knowing that I could never cover every single field every user wanted, that is also why I added an generous number of user customizable Other fields when I wrote the second incarnation of AC Log.

In short, if we eventually add QTH, it will be in the next total rewrite (3rd incarnation), which is many years out at this point.  For the foreseeable future, customizing an Other field to record City / QTH will be your best option.

I'm sorry that I didn't have the answer that you were hoping for.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Please add a QTH field in the next update/release of ACLog. I cannot imagine why that what not included in the first release.  Your software is very nice and does just about everything, not having a QTH field is like building a house and not putting in windows....it's basic.

Converting an "other" field to QTH does not work when updating random QSO's (records) from what I understand.  QTH is only populated when downloading an ADIF file into ACL.

73

K4GM-George

I subscribe to QRZ.com and it dumps the full QTH into the Comments field  which works fine for me.

73, George K4GM

On 1/29/2021 2:34 PM, Steve wrote:
Scott...

Please add a QTH field in the next update/release of ACLog. I cannot imagine why that what not included in the first release.  Your software is very nice and does just about everything, not having a QTH field is like building a house and not putting in windows....it's basic.

Converting an "other" field to QTH does not work when updating random QSO's (records) from what I understand.  QTH is only populated when downloading an ADIF file into ACL.

73

Steve <n6qek@...>

Thank you for the reply.  I am new to AC Log and had I been using your logging software 8 years ago, I would have put in for a QTH field.  I am trying to migrate over from DX Base 2007, however, I am experiencing a lot of frustration.  Getting the QTH field to "work".

I just loaded into AC Log a whole bunch of FT8 QSOs from WSJT-X.  I had previously defined a field as QTH (using OTHER3) per the ADIF standard and the field for not populate with the other stations city.

So, I created another field using OTHER4 and per the ADIF standard the "field name" for county is CNTY.  I put the newly created box on the main logging form and exited out of ACLog.  I relaunched ACLog and picked one call sign and manually typed in the op's call.  The "built in" ACLog County field populated with his call.  The field (box) I created did not populate.  If the field I created using CNTY per the standard, it should have populated (duplicated) the same information that was in the County field.

What am I missing?

Steve <n6qek@...>

That's fine George.

However, dumping the other op's city in comments doesn't work.  Other things go in comments like the weather, or band conditions or some other note worthy item.

It's just basic.  Like putting in the log the op's name, date, RST, callsign, state, mode, power......  They all have a separate field, but QTH (his city) does not?  No QTH field is utterly short sighted.  For crying out loud, there is a field for Lighthouses.....

Scott Davis

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your follow up.  The Other fields only populate on ADIF import, if the field name you have assigned it is an exact match to the ADIF tag the transferring program exported.

Take a look at the ADIF file exported from WSJT in Notepad.  If you don't see the field in WSJT's exported file, it will not import to one of the Other fields.

By the way, CNTY has a unique, specified format, so it is not a good tag to experiment with.  Take a look at the file you are importing and try a tag you actually see in the ADIF file to get an idea of how it works.

When normal tabbing from the Call field (not importing ADIF), the only automatic fill behaviors for the user customized Other fields are None, Previous, QSO and Previous Contact with same station.  Lookups from QRZ, etc., will not fill in the customized fields,

[...]

Larry Banks

Hi Steve,

There is an popular award for Lighthouses, therefore the field.  I don’t know of any award for cities.   I have been using ACLog from very early on and I have never personally seen a need for a city field.  I understand why you want one, but the vast majority of us who were around eight years ago saw no need.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

However, dumping the other op's city in comments doesn't work.  Other things go in comments like the weather, or band conditions or some other note worthy item.

It's just basic.  Like putting in the log the op's name, date, RST, callsign, state, mode, power......  They all have a separate field, but QTH (his city) does not?  No QTH field is utterly short sighted.  For crying out loud, there is a field for Lighthouses.....

Russ Johnson

I would vote for a City field in a further update.  Using Other works for me but I’m not doing anything exotic other than just entering information.  Not uploading, downloading. I can see how it would be helpful for others.

Not seeing a City field did baffle me when I first got the software.   That’s something I want to log and I don’t want to clutter up Comments with it.  But as I say, Other is sufficient for my personal needs

As a total aside, if anyone on the list understands Winter Field Day rules - please email me at radiok3pi@...    I can’t figure out a couple of things.   Thanks

73 Russ K3Pi