Topics

Winter Field Day log question #contest

Steven Dick

Hi. I used the N3FJP software for Winter Field Day this past weekend and it worked flawlessly. The one question I have relates to keeping track of scoring.  During the contest, the main page keeps track of ongoing score based on QSOs, modes, and automatically computed multipliers. The automatically computed multipliers are based on unique modes per band and bands.  It does not take into account the power multiplier.  When the Cabrillo file is created, it includes the power multiplier (In my case it was less than or equal 100 watts, for a multiplier of 2) as well as extra credit points. It multiplied the displayed score on the main contest page by the power multiplier to give the computed score in the Cabrillo file.  I guess this is  matter of philosophy, since there are also additional credits which are added when the Cabrillo file is created. But the power multiplier has a large impact to the score.  Should that be included as part of the setup?  It is a single digit multiplier, easy to enter.

Thanks,

Steve K1RF

Scott Davis

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Yes, all my contest software functions that way since inception (over 20 years now).  It was a philosophical decision for two primary reasons:

1.  To enable folks to begin logging with the absolute minimum of complexity and decision making.

2.  Folks often don't know what additional bonuses they will wind up with (did they change their mind and increase power mid contest due to rough conditions, did they successfully make a satellite QSO, did they copy the W1AW bulletin, etc.).

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Feb 1, 2021 11:00 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Winter Field Day log question #contest

Hi. I used the N3FJP software for Winter Field Day this past weekend and it worked flawlessly. The one question I have relates to keeping track of scoring.  During the contest, the main page keeps track of ongoing score based on QSOs, modes, and automatically computed multipliers. The automatically computed multipliers are based on unique modes per band and bands.  It does not take into account the power multiplier.  When the Cabrillo file is created, it includes the power multiplier (In my case it was less than or equal 100 watts, for a multiplier of 2) as well as extra credit points. It multiplied the displayed score on the main contest page by the power multiplier to give the computed score in the Cabrillo file.  I guess this is  matter of philosophy, since there are also additional credits which are added when the Cabrillo file is created. But the power multiplier has a large impact to the score.  Should that be included as part of the setup?  It is a single digit multiplier, easy to enter.
Thanks,
Steve K1RF