Which time to use

James meltzer

Should I use local time or UT when logging a contact?

AI3KS

UTC

Steve, AI3KS

On 21/03/06 08:59, jemeltz via groups.io wrote:
Should I use local time or UT when logging a contact?

Lou WA5LOU

If you are uploading to LoTW use UTC.

Lou WA5LOU

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 9:17 AM jemeltz via groups.io <jemeltz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Should I use local time or UT when logging a contact?

KF1P Bob

UTC.....Never Local.... when I get a qsl showing a local time it will not match so no confirmation.

James meltzer

  • Then, I assume I need to adjust the date if the QSO is late in the day (EST) and spills into the next day (UTC)?

James meltzer

Thanks so much from New user

Lou WA5LOU

No need to adjust the date.  That is all accomplished via software.  This eliminates having to know the time zones when logging.  Someone in California might see 2 PM local time and someone on the east coast might see 5 PM, same day.  UTC is universal world wide.  So we always know what time we worked someone.  Your local time is converted to UTC based on your time zone and the number of hours in the offset.

Lou WA5LOU

On Sun, Mar 7, 2021 at 11:46 AM jemeltz via groups.io <jemeltz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
  • Then, I assume I need to adjust the date if the QSO is late in the day (EST) and spills into the next day (UTC)?

Larry Banks

Hi jemeltz (call?),

ALL logging with ham radio is done with UTC.  NEVER use local time.   UTC includes the correct date.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2021 11:46
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Which time to use

  • Then, I assume I need to adjust the date if the QSO is late in the day (EST) and spills into the next day (UTC)?