Topics

What other data fields can you think of?

Scott Davis

Hi All,

I am currently designing the database and coding the SQL commands. With the new C# versions of my software, I'm going to use the same file structure in the .MDB file for all the contesting programs and AC Log too.  That way I can use the same SQL statements regardless of contest. Keeping everything uniform will make it easier to maintain the software, add additional programs and code in future enhancements down the line.

So, using the current fields in AC Log as a baseline and adding in all the additional contest fields I already support in those programs, what other data fields can you think of that would be good to have in future versions of AC Log or the contesting software?

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

Mike Olbrisch

This may not be the right time to suggest this - if I were a programmer I would have a better idea.  But here goes.

What I would like to see with the fields is a selection matrix allowing the user to select how each field handles data.  For example, a series of check-boxes.  The selections might be.

X - blank for each contact.

x - use data from last contact logged contact.

x - fill from previous contact with that call sign.

To expand...  Call Sign is entered manually, date and time usually automatically. 

freq, band, mode, power filled from last logged contact unless re-entered manually.  So the second choice works.

Name, County, 10-10 #, Grid filled in from data used the last time you contacted that call sign.  Third choice.

OTHER blocks also selectable.  For example, I have two other blocks, SOTA SUMMIT ACTIVATED, and SOTA SUMMIT WORKED.  Activated should be option #2 in my example.  Worked should be option #1, doesn't fill at all unless I manually enter the summit.  The summit changes all the time.

I hope I am making sense Scott.

I would also like to see a few more user-configurable OTHER fields.  I have used all 4.

Thanks very much.

Mike.

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@... [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@...] On Behalf Of Snkdavis
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 07:39
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@...
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] What other data fields can you think of?

Hi All,

I am currently designing the database and coding the SQL commands. With the new C# versions of my software, I'm going to use the same file structure in the .MDB file for all the contesting programs and AC Log too.  That way I can use the same SQL statements regardless of contest. Keeping everything uniform will make it easier to maintain the software, add additional programs and code in future enhancements down the line.

So, using the current fields in AC Log as a baseline and adding in all the additional contest fields I already support in those programs, what other data fields can you think of that would be good to have in future versions of AC Log or the contesting software?

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

Dan Morris <dbm72941mo@...>

Scott -- You probably have this on your list but I agree with Mike that maybe a couple more 'OTHER' fields be available.  I have used all four and could use at least one more but I'm sure others could use a few more than that as well.  I know lots of people keep track of 10-10#'s, VP#'s, EPC, 070, 30mdg, olmiss numbers etc.  Some additional fields will be a nice feature.   I believe the 10-10 QSO Party program is okay as far as the data fields go other than the other tweaks I mentioned to you in a separate email --

Dan Morris  KZ3T  
dbm72941mo@...

On Sep 7, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Snkdavis wrote:

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

william conkling <bconk75@...>

Scott,
I don't have ideas for fields, but would like to know if contest and ACLog will support networks. 
I think it would be nice to be able to use K3 on my desktop and KX3 w/laptop at home with same log.

Other scenarios possible as well.

...bill nr4c

On Sep 7, 2012 9:38 AM, "Snkdavis" <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Yes, that is what I was referring to with the .MDB file I'm designing.  It will be accessible from any PC on your network, just like the way the networking versions of my contesting software work now.

73, Scott
N3FJP

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJP_Software_Users
Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 11:46 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJP_Software_Users] What other data fields can you think of?

Scott,
I don't have ideas for fields, but would like to know if contest and ACLog will support networks. 
I think it would be nice to be able to use K3 on my desktop and KX3 w/laptop at home with same log.
...bill nr4c

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

william conkling <bconk75@...>

Any chance of allowing all serial functions to use 1 serial port?  Ie; CAT, PTT, CW?

...bill nr4c

On Sep 7, 2012 11:51 AM, "Snkdavis" <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Yes, that is what I was referring to with the .MDB file I'm designing.  It will be accessible from any PC on your network, just like the way the networking versions of my contesting software work now.

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: N3FJP_Software_Users <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Scott,
...bill nr4c

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Not at first, but maybe later.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 12:15 pm

Any chance of allowing all serial functions to use 1 serial port?  Ie; CAT, PTT, CW?
...bill nr4c
On Sep 7, 2012 11:51 AM, "Snkdavis" <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott,
...bill nr4c

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

W. J. Karle <ve4kz@...>

Scott:

I happily still am using ver 2.8 as my master log.  Perhaps the following suggestion already is accommodated in later versions.

How might one select only DX entities for listing from the DB?  And, how might one select only DX entities from which a confirmation has been received or has not been received?

I can think of a way using at least one 'Other' field.  I can think of a way by exporting to a spreadsheet.  Is there a more elegant means that might be worthy of the new programming that you are doing?

Bill

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W. J. (Bill) Karle, VE4KZ
Radio Amateurs of Canada -- Maple Leaf Operator Member
Amateur Radio Emergency Service -- Certified Emergency Coordinator
+1 (204) 754-3608

Sent: Friday, September 7, 2012 8:38:43 AM

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

W. J. Karle <ve4kz@...>

To clarify:

I mean the specific records (date, time, call, etc, etc.) that are DX entities not just the list of confirmed and unconfirmed entities under "Awards".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+1 (204) 754-3608

To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..."
Sent: Friday, September 7, 2012 11:24:33 AM

Scott:

I happily still am using ver 2.8 as my master log.  Perhaps the following suggestion already is accommodated in later versions.

How might one select only DX entities for listing from the DB?  And, how might one select only DX entities from which a confirmation has been received or has not been received?

I can think of a way using at least one 'Other' field.  I can think of a way by exporting to a spreadsheet.  Is there a more elegant means that might be worthy of the new programming that you are doing?

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Much too far ahead!  At the moment I'm just designing the database.  Then, rewriting the contest software will be next, immediately followed by the AC Log rewrite.  Once I get to the AC log rewrite, it will be time to think about designing queries for that type of functionality.

Presently, I'm just making sure my database field list is complete.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 12:30 pm

To clarify:

I mean the specific records (date, time, call, etc, etc.) that are DX entities not just the list of confirmed and unconfirmed entities under "Awards".

+1 (204) 754-3608

To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Scott:

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

W. J. Karle <ve4kz@...>

Thanks, Scott, for the rapid reply.

I imagine that you have looked at the fields in N1MM and in HRDLog.

Regards to you and Kimberly.

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Sent: Friday, September 7, 2012 11:37:16 AM

Hi Bill,

Much too far ahead!  At the moment I'm just designing the database.  Then, rewriting the contest software will be next, immediately followed by the AC Log rewrite.  Once I get to the AC log rewrite, it will be time to think about designing queries for that type of functionality.

73, Scott
N3FJP

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Actually, I've never used either one.  I much more interested in the fields that users here and I care about.  The fact that I haven't had much response in the way of additional field suggestions is a very good sign.  So far, I'm adding:

Other5
Other6
DXCC (the actual country ADIF number)
Prop_Mode

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 12:43 pm

Bill
+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi Bill,

73, Scott
N3FJP

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Lawrence Worthington

I would like to see a field for net type as I like to keep track if it is a SkyWarn, ARES, RACES, public service, traffic, or weekly net as this has come in handy several times for ARES/RACES review when determining level of participation and also allowed me to find my notes on an event incident because I scan my event notes and put the file name and path in the comments so I can find them.

Larry Worthington
KC9HDP

On Sep 7, 2012 8:38 AM, "Snkdavis" <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Stephen E. Belter

Scott,

I use AC Log for satellite contacts.  The two fields that are needed for satellite QSOs not directly supported by the vanilla AC Log are “Prop_Mode” (already on your list) and “Sat_Name”.

73, Steve N9IP

--

Steve Belter, Indiana Dataline Corp

427 N 6th Street, Suite C

Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

Tel: (765) 269-8521

www.indiana-dataline.net

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@... [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@...] On Behalf Of Snkdavis
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 12:49 PM

Hi Bill,

Actually, I've never used either one.  I much more interested in the fields that users here and I care about.  The fact that I haven't had much response in the way of additional field suggestions is a very good sign.  So far, I'm adding:

Other5

Other6

Prop_Mode

73, Scott

N3FJP

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi Bill,

73, Scott

N3FJP

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott Davis

Thanks Steve!

What are the typical lengths of the Prop_Mode and Sat_Name fields?  A better question - what is the maximum length I should expect?

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: 'N3FJP_Software_Users@...'
Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 1:16 pm
Subject: RE: [N3FJP_Software_Users] What other data fields can you think of?

Scott,

I use AC Log for satellite contacts.  The two fields that are needed for satellite QSOs not directly supported by the vanilla AC Log are “Prop_Mode” (already on your list) and “Sat_Name”.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

Hi Bill,

Other5
Other6
Prop_Mode

73, Scott
N3FJP

Bill
+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi Bill,

73, Scott
N3FJP

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Stephen E. Belter

Scott,

As best I could find, the Sat_Name field “standard” is the AMSAT name. While most are 4 to 11 characters, I did find one that was 23 characters long “Explorer 1 Prime Unit 2”. One source listed this URL as the “standard” AMSAT names:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/all_oscars.php

As to Prop_Mode, according to the ADIF 3.0.2 spec, the longest Prop_Mode is “INTERNET” (8 characters).

Hope this helps.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211
www.indiana-dataline.net<http://www.indiana-dataline.net>

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Snkdavis
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 1:22 PM
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Steve!

What are the typical lengths of the Prop_Mode and Sat_Name fields? A better question - what is the maximum length I should expect?

73, Scott
N3FJP
http://www.n3fjp.com

To: 'N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com' <N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>

Scott,

I use AC Log for satellite contacts. The two fields that are needed for satellite QSOs not directly supported by the vanilla AC Log are “Prop_Mode” (already on your list) and “Sat_Name”.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com?>] On Behalf Of Snkdavis
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>

Hi Bill,

Actually, I've never used either one. I much more interested in the fields that users here and I care about. The fact that I haven't had much response in the way of additional field suggestions is a very good sign. So far, I'm adding:

Other5
Other6
Prop_Mode

73, Scott
N3FJP

From: W. J. Karle <ve4kz@yahoo.ca<mailto:ve4kz@yahoo.ca>>
To: N3FJP_Software_Users <N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>>

Bill
+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi Bill,

Much too far ahead! At the moment I'm just designing the database. Then, rewriting the contest software will be next, immediately followed by the AC Log rewrite. Once I get to the AC log rewrite, it will be time to think about designing queries for that type of functionality.

Presently, I'm just making sure my database field list is complete.

73, Scott
N3FJP
http://www.n3fjp.com<http://www.n3fjp.com/>

To: N3FJP_Software_Users <N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>>

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

I happily still am using ver 2.8 as my master log. Perhaps the following suggestion already is accommodated in later versions.

How might one select only DX entities for listing from the DB? And, how might one select only DX entities from which a confirmation has been received or has not been received?

I can think of a way using at least one 'Other' field. I can think of a way by exporting to a spreadsheet. Is there a more elegant means that might be worthy of the new programming that you are doing?

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

I am currently designing the database and coding the SQL commands. With the new C# versions of my software, I'm going to use the same file structure in the .MDB file for all the contesting programs and AC Log too. That way I can use the same SQL statements regardless of contest. Keeping everything uniform will make it easier to maintain the software, add additional programs and code in future enhancements down the line.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

That's a great help!  Thank you Steve!

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: 'N3FJP_Software_Users@...'
Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 2:52 pm

Scott,

As best I could find, the Sat_Name field “standard” is the AMSAT name.  While most are 4 to 11 characters, I did find one that was 23 characters long “Explorer 1 Prime Unit 2”.  One source listed this URL as the “standard” AMSAT names:

As to Prop_Mode, according to the ADIF 3.0.2 spec, the longest Prop_Mode is “INTERNET” (8 characters).

Hope this helps.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

Thanks Steve!

What are the typical lengths of the Prop_Mode and Sat_Name fields?  A better question - what is the maximum length I should expect?

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: 'N3FJP_Software_Users@...' <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Scott,

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

Hi Bill,

Other5
Other6
Prop_Mode

73, Scott
N3FJP

Bill
+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi Bill,

73, Scott
N3FJP

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Stephen E. Belter

Scott,

I kept looking after sending my response (below) and found the current official LoTW satellite name list here:

https://p1k.arrl.org/lotw/faq#sats

In general, LoTW limits itself to satellites capable of two-way QSOs, so this list is shorter than the AMSAT list, and the longest name is currently only 6 characters.

I’d suggest that you allow at least 11 characters, and more would be better if that doesn’t have a negative impact on other things.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Snkdavis
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2012 2:58 PM
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com

That's a great help! Thank you Steve!

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: 'N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com' <N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 2:52 pm

Scott,

As best I could find, the Sat_Name field “standard” is the AMSAT name. While most are 4 to 11 characters, I did find one that was 23 characters long “Explorer 1 Prime Unit 2”. One source listed this URL as the “standard” AMSAT names:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/all_oscars.php

Hope this helps.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com> [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com?>] On Behalf Of Snkdavis
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>

Thanks Steve!

What are the typical lengths of the Prop_Mode and Sat_Name fields? A better question - what is the maximum length I should expect?

73, Scott
N3FJP

From: Stephen E. Belter <seb@wintek.com<mailto:seb@wintek.com>>
To: 'N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>' <N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com<mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@yahoogroups.com>>

Scott,

I use AC Log for satellite contacts. The two fields that are needed for satellite QSOs not directly supported by the vanilla AC Log are “Prop_Mode” (already on your list) and “Sat_Name”.

73, Steve N9IP
--
Lafayette, IN 47901-2211

Hi Bill,

Actually, I've never used either one. I much more interested in the fields that users here and I care about. The fact that I haven't had much response in the way of additional field suggestions is a very good sign. So far, I'm adding:

Other5
Other6
Prop_Mode

73, Scott
N3FJP

Bill
+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi Bill,

Much too far ahead! At the moment I'm just designing the database. Then, rewriting the contest software will be next, immediately followed by the AC Log rewrite. Once I get to the AC log rewrite, it will be time to think about designing queries for that type of functionality.

Presently, I'm just making sure my database field list is complete.

73, Scott
N3FJP

To clarify:

+1 (204) 754-3608

Scott:

I happily still am using ver 2.8 as my master log. Perhaps the following suggestion already is accommodated in later versions.

How might one select only DX entities for listing from the DB? And, how might one select only DX entities from which a confirmation has been received or has not been received?

I can think of a way using at least one 'Other' field. I can think of a way by exporting to a spreadsheet. Is there a more elegant means that might be worthy of the new programming that you are doing?

Bill

+1 (204) 754-3608

Hi All,

I am currently designing the database and coding the SQL commands. With the new C# versions of my software, I'm going to use the same file structure in the .MDB file for all the contesting programs and AC Log too. That way I can use the same SQL statements regardless of contest. Keeping everything uniform will make it easier to maintain the software, add additional programs and code in future enhancements down the line.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Ed Williams

Hi Scott,

I thank you for great software and have enjoyed it for many years both local and in DXpedition mode.

My question, is possible to have a dropdown support box that would provide a way to update not only  LOTW but also EQSL, and QRZ,s log as it is now is with LOTW’s dropdown?

Many users use all three and it would be a big help for me.

73, de KN4KL/KG4KL ed

Scott Davis

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The eQSL folks only want one contact direct from the software at a time, so AC Log was designed that way at their request.  They want bulk contacts uploaded the "regular" way.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Sep 7, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi Scott,

I thank you for great software and have enjoyed it for many years both local and in DXpedition mode.
My question, is possible to have a dropdown support box that would provide a way to update not only  LOTW but also EQSL, and QRZ,s log as it is now is with LOTW’s dropdown?
Many users use all three and it would be a big help for me.

73, de KN4KL/KG4KL ed