Topics

UTC and Daylight Savings

Jason Hissong <jhisson1@...>

Hi Scott,

I just noticed that when Daylight savings occurs, the ACLog program
does not adjust for that. Is this expected behavior? I know that
Windows takes care of it automatically, however, ACLog still has 5 in
it from when I set it up.

I found this out when I got a QSL card back saying I was an hour off...

Anyways.. so is the remedy to remember to change the UTC offset when
the clocks change over?

Thanks!

Jason Hissong
N8XE
http://www.qsl.net/n8xe

Scott Davis

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your e-mail.

I had a number of requests for that feature following our switch to daylight time this past spring. I have added code in version 2.4 so that ACLog will check your system clock on startup and alert you if your UTC offset requires adjustment. In addition to always being excited about making new ACLog enhancements available, I have quite a sense of urgency to make ACLog 2.4 available before the time change for that very reason.

As most of you know, I have already completed the CW enhancements and am now working on the RAM data management. The RAM features are going to add a good bit of snap to the program that I think everyone will like, but the coding is taking quite a bit longer than I had originally thought. With all that in mind, I think the major upgrades to 2.4 will be focused on the CW and performance enhancements. I've got lots of other suggestions on the list and as soon as 2.4 is available I will continue working on the additional enhancements.

http://www.n3fjp.com/

Serving the Amateur Radio Community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

In a message dated 7/31/2003 9:05:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Jason Hissong" <jhisson1@columbus.rr.com> writes:

Hi Scott,

I just noticed that when Daylight savings occurs, the ACLog program
does not adjust for that. Is this expected behavior? I know that
Windows takes care of it automatically, however, ACLog still has 5 in
it from when I set it up.

I found this out when I got a QSL card back saying I was an hour off...

Anyways.. so is the remedy to remember to change the UTC offset when
the clocks change over?

Thanks!

Jason Hissong
N8XE
http://www.qsl.net/n8xe

Matt Patterson

Hi Scott,

When do you think 2.4 will be available? My log of over 2000 contacts is
getting rather slow! Do you need someone to help beta test? I'd be happy
to volunteer.

Thanks,
Matt
W5LL

[...]

Hi Matt,

It is really hard to predict. Sometimes a section of code that I think will take only an hour to write doesn't work out as expected and a day is "lost" coming up with an alternative. Other times things fall right into place. I'm shooting for the end of August or early September, but the window is pretty wide. I am spending every available minute I have on the project.

I am trying to test as much as I can during the development. I'm not sure if I will release 2.4 as a beta first or not, but I REALLY appreciate your offer for testing. In fact, I can't thank this group enough for all your help and support. I really appreciate it.

In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:23:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Matt Patterson" <mattpatt@1starnet.com> writes:

[...]

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I'll be waiting patiently for the 2.4 release :-) If
there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks Again,
[...]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/