Upgrade Feature

William Wagaman

Thanks much for the new Upgrade Feature Scott. Works Great 73 for now Bill N3GTY

K7GA

Ditto !  Every wonderful feature upgrade makes Scott’s logs that much more excellent and a pleasure to use.  Can’t even imagine the amount of required effort that goes into these changes. 

73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Apr 1, 2021, at 07:14, William Wagaman <n3gty@...> wrote:

Thanks much for the new Upgrade Feature Scott. Works Great 73 for now Bill N3GTY

Scott Davis

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement Bill, Frank and all.  Kimberly, Chris and I really appreciate it!

It is a lot of effort, but it is a labor of love.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Apr 1, 2021 11:37 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Upgrade Feature

Ditto !  Every wonderful feature upgrade makes Scott’s logs that much more excellent and a pleasure to use.  Can’t even imagine the amount of required effort that goes into these changes. 

73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Apr 1, 2021, at 07:14, William Wagaman <n3gty@...> wrote:

Tom - K5EIS

This update was ssssooooooo easy. This is how upgrades should be for all software. Great change Scott. Love it.

Scott Davis

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement Tom!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Fri, Apr 2, 2021 9:48 am

This update was ssssooooooo easy. This is how upgrades should be for all software. Great change Scott. Love it.

I am really disappointed in ACLog! The upgrade to the new version did not at all go the way I expected it to. Having experienced such auto-upgrades in various other popular and highly-developed software systems, my expectations were completely shot down by the "process" now employed by Scott's system.

First, when I launched ACLog yesterday, just as I have done for years, there was a pop-up message alerting me there was a new version available. It gave me the option--in shockingly clear and understandable language, which caused me to be immediately skeptical--to upgrade by clicking a button. Or to wait. What is wrong with this software? I am accustomed to being forced to upgrade, no questions asked or options offered. I know from experience what a nag software can be so I went ahead and opted to get version 6.9 installed. Then, I prepared to go back upstairs for coffee, knowing my computer would grind away for a long, long time, spit out error messages, re-boot a half dozen times, and ask for my password, credit card number, and blood type. Then spit out more error messages. And re-boot three more times. I simply did not have time to deal with all that yesterday! But since I had foolishly committed already to running the upgrade, I fully expected that my morning was shot. 

But before I could even pick up my coffee cup, the update message disappeared, ACLog relaunched, and it said I was now on version 6.9. My expectations...busted! No way I had a new and fully-functional version of ACLog in less than 15 seconds. Okay, it did it so quickly and with no alarms or restarts or pages of computer code gibberish or sending me to an on-line users' group to see if anybody else had a solution for my problems, I expected there was no way it would ever again work correctly. (Oh, Windows did ask if I wanted to allow this suspect software to make changes to my system. But that was expected. Windows asks me that every time I sneeze.)

But it did seem to work. Perfectly. No glitches, no lost databases now forever irretrievable, no viruses or adware sneakily installed, no changes to my preferences because some programmer who does not even know what ham radio is thought they should be set to something else entirely. ACLog maddeningly continued to function wonderfully. Which was not my expectation.

This is unacceptable! If N3FJP continues to ignore user expectations in this manner, I will be forced to go back to my paper log! 

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

PS: I meant to post these perfectly valid complaints yesterday, April 1, but I was busy trying to set preferences on a new laptop computer. As usual, and unlike N3FJP, Microsoft completely met my expectations. It took me most of the day to tell the the new laptop what to do when I pushed the "OFF" button, how to be able to install non-Microsoft apps, and how to put my documents in the "Documents" folder...NOT automatically send them to Onedrive (which I did not buy or know I had on the machine)! Scott could take some lessons about fulfilling expectations from Microsoft, I tell you!

Lou WA5LOU

LOL!

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 1:25 PM Don N4KC <don@...> wrote:

I am really disappointed in ACLog! The upgrade to the new version did not at all go the way I expected it to. Having experienced such auto-upgrades in various other popular and highly-developed software systems, my expectations were completely shot down by the "process" now employed by Scott's system.

First, when I launched ACLog yesterday, just as I have done for years, there was a pop-up message alerting me there was a new version available. It gave me the option--in shockingly clear and understandable language, which caused me to be immediately skeptical--to upgrade by clicking a button. Or to wait. What is wrong with this software? I am accustomed to being forced to upgrade, no questions asked or options offered. I know from experience what a nag software can be so I went ahead and opted to get version 6.9 installed. Then, I prepared to go back upstairs for coffee, knowing my computer would grind away for a long, long time, spit out error messages, re-boot a half dozen times, and ask for my password, credit card number, and blood type. Then spit out more error messages. And re-boot three more times. I simply did not have time to deal with all that yesterday! But since I had foolishly committed already to running the upgrade, I fully expected that my morning was shot. 

But before I could even pick up my coffee cup, the update message disappeared, ACLog relaunched, and it said I was now on version 6.9. My expectations...busted! No way I had a new and fully-functional version of ACLog in less than 15 seconds. Okay, it did it so quickly and with no alarms or restarts or pages of computer code gibberish or sending me to an on-line users' group to see if anybody else had a solution for my problems, I expected there was no way it would ever again work correctly. (Oh, Windows did ask if I wanted to allow this suspect software to make changes to my system. But that was expected. Windows asks me that every time I sneeze.)

But it did seem to work. Perfectly. No glitches, no lost databases now forever irretrievable, no viruses or adware sneakily installed, no changes to my preferences because some programmer who does not even know what ham radio is thought they should be set to something else entirely. ACLog maddeningly continued to function wonderfully. Which was not my expectation.

This is unacceptable! If N3FJP continues to ignore user expectations in this manner, I will be forced to go back to my paper log! 

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

PS: I meant to post these perfectly valid complaints yesterday, April 1, but I was busy trying to set preferences on a new laptop computer. As usual, and unlike N3FJP, Microsoft completely met my expectations. It took me most of the day to tell the the new laptop what to do when I pushed the "OFF" button, how to be able to install non-Microsoft apps, and how to put my documents in the "Documents" folder...NOT automatically send them to Onedrive (which I did not buy or know I had on the machine)! Scott could take some lessons about fulfilling expectations from Microsoft, I tell you!

James Goff

Doncha just hate it when that happens?  ACLog's been doing that to me for a whole bunch of years!  Frustrating as heck!!

73, W1JHG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 1:39 PM Lou WA5LOU <loueverettsr@...> wrote:
LOL!

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

KB9BVN -

Scott,

LOVE the auto upgrade feature.  I opened AClog, it said there was a new version, I clicked it, and in about 1 minute it was downloaded and installed.

Beautiful work.

Thanks!

de KB9BVN

Jim Shorney

Reminds me of my detestable Linux box. It politely and unobtrusively lets me know that updates are available and leaves it at that. The nerve! Now I need to find some other excuse to knock off for a nap. On top of that, it only needs to reboot for kernel updates. Which it only tells me about by adding a small icon to my taskbar. Reboot when I get around to it? What is this nonsense!?

Nice work, Scott. :)

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 02 Apr 2021 10:25:38 -0700
"Don N4KC" <don@donkeith.com> wrote:

What is wrong with this software? I am accustomed to being forced to upgrade, no questions asked or options offered.

Scott Davis

Love it Don!

Thanks loads for the good laugh!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Apr 2, 2021 1:57 pm

Doncha just hate it when that happens?  ACLog's been doing that to me for a whole bunch of years!  Frustrating as heck!!

73, W1JHG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

LOL!

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

Paul Van Dyke

Humpf ... best feature is when it gives the alert that you are out of coffee and munchies

Paul _kb9avo

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:48 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Love it Don!

Thanks loads for the good laugh!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Apr 2, 2021 1:57 pm

73, W1JHG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

LOL!

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

Good post Don….1st reading it I thought this is THE 1st bad rating of Scott’s software…you got me……should have posted it yesterday maybe   😊

Frank

NG1I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Don N4KC
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 1:26 PM

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

K1TZQ

Good one…..Scott has no future  at Microsoft. Great job Scott & Kimberly!!

On Apr 2, 2021, at 4:59 PM, Frank MacKenzie-Lamb <maclamb@...> wrote:

Good post Don….1st reading it I thought this is THE 1st bad rating of Scott’s software…you got me……should have posted it yesterday maybe   😊

Frank
NG1I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Don N4KC
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 1:26 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Upgrade Feature

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com

Dean Holste

Frank, I disagree! Scott should work at Microsoft. Then he can straighten out Widows to make it work correctly! 🙂

Dean, KC9EOQ

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:14 PM K1TZQ <hnaugle@...> wrote:
Good one…..Scott has no future  at Microsoft. Great job Scott & Kimberly!!

On Apr 2, 2021, at 4:59 PM, Frank MacKenzie-Lamb <maclamb@...> wrote:

Good post Don….1st reading it I thought this is THE 1st bad rating of Scott’s software…you got me……should have posted it yesterday maybe   😊

Frank
NG1I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Don N4KC
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 1:26 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Upgrade Feature

Don N4KC

www.n4kc.com

www.donkeith.com