Topics

"Unable to retrieve data" pop-ups

Mike M0AGP

I have just paid for N3FJP's full suite of software, and the very next day I was rewarded with more than 50 pop-ups saying this:

Any suggestions as to what to do?  The software seems fine otherwise. My internet access is fine...
System resources like CPU, memory, disk are all fine...?
Thanks
Mike M0AGP

Scott Davis

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.

This FAQ was written with Field Day networking in mind, since insufficient permissions causes the error to appear most often under those circumstances, but the following applies to stand alone installations too.

The causes of errors accessing your database are listed from most common to least common as follows:

- By far, the most common cause of that error is that your security permissions are not allowing the program to access the log data file. This can occur as a result of insufficient network permissions, or the file / folder permission settings on your local drive. I have received reports of Window Updates causing your permissions to be changed in some cases.

First, make sure that you save the LogData.MDB file to a drive and directory that is accessible to ALL PCs on the network, or if using a local drive, that the file and folder permissions are set to update, not just read. I do not recommend using your Program Files directory, as Windows is especially particular about allowing access there. Instead, use something like c:\FieldDay. The drive, folder and file ALL must have their permissions set to Update, not just Read and must be accessible to all the PCs on your network. In this example, your drive c, your folder FieldDay and your file LogData.mdb must all have permissions set to Update. The drive and folder must also be Shared. More details and the example network security sharing settings I use are here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/FDInfoTips.html#networkingtips

- Your network is having drops in connectivity. I have lots more information on remedying that here: http://www.n3fjp.com/help/networkinghelp.html.

- Your virus protection software is blocking the connection. I've had user reports from folks attempting to run two different virus protection software programs simultaneously, which were in conflict with each other, preventing the connection. Disabling one of the virus programs corrected the problem. In another case, Kaspersky issued an update that affected all programs using Microsoft Access databases, including mine. Kaspersky users had to wait for Kaspesky to issue a corrected update to remedy that situation.

- There have been a few other, very rare reports, which I've been documenting half way down this page here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/news/news2013-12-14.html

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ
www.n3fjp.com