Topics

Time Off Field

Rick Markey, KN3C

I keep accurate logs, including Time Off.  Is there any way to automatically log the Time Off?  Currently I have to do that manually by editing each contact.  My previous logging program allowed you to highlight the contact, hit an "F" key, and the off time would be automatically entered.

I looked through the documentation but haven't found much about the Time Off field.

Dave

Click on the Settings tab, large window opens up.
5th choice from the bottom needs to be checked.
Time off- if blank, log current time.

Dave KC3AM

On 02/14/2021 16:04, Rick Markey, KN3C wrote:
I keep accurate logs, including Time Off.  Is there any way to automatically log the Time Off?  Currently I have to do that manually by editing each contact.  My previous logging program allowed you to highlight the contact, hit an "F" key, and the off time would be automatically entered.

I looked through the documentation but haven't found much about the Time Off field.

--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

Rick Markey, KN3C

Dave,

Saw that but unless I'm missing something, that's not helpful.  It logs the "on" time in the "off" field when you initiate the contact.  When I have completed a QSO, I log the off time.  This is a casual QSO, not a contest.

Hey, it's not the end of the world, but a keystroke rather than having to type in the time would be easier.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/14/2021 17:08, Dave via groups.io wrote:

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mitch NW0M

Not sure what you're seeing Rick but it has logged the correct Off Time for me. 

In your test, are you waiting a minute before actually logging the QSO?  Enter call, tab, wait at least one minute, log QSO.  Simple test.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:58 AM, Rick Markey, KN3C wrote:
Dave,

Saw that but unless I'm missing something, that's not helpful.  It logs the "on" time in the "off" field when you initiate the contact.  When I have completed a QSO, I log the off time.  This is a casual QSO, not a contest.

Hey, it's not the end of the world, but a keystroke rather than having to type in the time would be easier.

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mitch NW0M

Upon further review....

Rick I think your logging methodology is to log the QSO right after being initiated and then say 20 minutes later when the QSO is finished, you go back and edit the QSO to add the Off Time. 

Conventional wisdom would be to WAIT to log the QSO until the QSO is finished.  Then it will automatically log with the current Off Time.  Why not do that? 

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:56 AM, Mitch NW0M wrote:

In your test, are you waiting a minute before actually logging the QSO?  Enter call, tab, wait at least one minute, log QSO.  Simple test.

Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Rick Markey, KN3C

If it was a single contact, that could work.  Every morning, I am part of an informal group.  They enter and leave the conversation at different times.  I'm not running a net, but I do log everyone who shows up.  I've played with the NET feature, but that hasn't provided an answer.

The program is new to me, and clearly doesn't work the same as my previous logging program which is now an orphan.  I picked N3FJPs program as a replacement based on a suggestion from a friend who was using the same orphaned logging program.  Maybe I'm missing something, but so far, nothing in the documentation I've read or watched has given me a solution.

I do keep detailed logs which apparently is not the norm, since it's no longer required.  Early in my ham radio experience, I had an issue with a neighbor who blamed me for interference.  My logs proved that it wasn't me, but was the neighbor's fellow CBer, which immediately ended the conversation!

For most users, I'm sure it's no big deal.  For me, it's just some extra keystrokes.  If I could highlight the contact and hit an "F" key to enter the off time, or enter the edit mode and click on the "Time Off" field to automatically enter the time, that would make the process easier and faster.

I just thought that someone may have a solution that I haven't figured out?  You know the story.  Everyone hates change!

Appreciate the help.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/15/2021 08:39, Mitch NW0M wrote:
Upon further review....

Rick I think your logging methodology is to log the QSO right after being initiated and then say 20 minutes later when the QSO is finished, you go back and edit the QSO to add the Off Time. 

Conventional wisdom would be to WAIT to log the QSO until the QSO is finished.  Then it will automatically log with the current Off Time.  Why not do that? 

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:56 AM, Mitch NW0M wrote:

Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Robert Denny

Rick,

Maybe this will hep.  Turn on (checkmark) Settings>Time Off - If Blank, Log Current Time."  The current time will be filled in immediately.  Then, any time you click in the blue area where the "Time Off" label appears, the time will update to the current time.

Good luck,

Bob, N3BD

Rick Markey, KN3C

Bob,

It edit mode, or before you hit Log Contact.?  I think I tried that in edit mode and it didn't work, but I will confirm.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/15/2021 09:32, Robert Denny wrote:
Rick,

Maybe this will hep.  Turn on (checkmark) Settings>Time Off - If Blank, Log Current Time."  The current time will be filled in immediately.  Then, any time you click in the blue area where the "Time Off" label appears, the time will update to the current time.

Good luck,

Bob, N3BD

K9PLX Chuck

Well, I'm confused. When I initiate a contact by entering the call sign in the CALL field and then tabbing out of that field, the TIME OFF field remains blank. If rig control is active, the only other fields that auto-fill are DATE, BAND, MODE, TIME ON, RST/S, RST/R, and FREQUENCY. TIME OFF is blank and remains blank until I press Enter to actually log the contact. Without rig control active I don't get BAND, MODE, or FREQUENCY.

Chuck K9PLX
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 5:58 AM Rick Markey, KN3C <kn3c@...> wrote:
Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

K9PLX Chuck

(Long story short, Press TAB when you begin a QSO and ENTER when you end it.)
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:05 AM K9PLX Chuck via groups.io <dark.asteroid=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, I'm confused. When I initiate a contact by entering the call sign in the CALL field and then tabbing out of that field, the TIME OFF field remains blank. If rig control is active, the only other fields that auto-fill are DATE, BAND, MODE, TIME ON, RST/S, RST/R, and FREQUENCY. TIME OFF is blank and remains blank until I press Enter to actually log the contact. Without rig control active I don't get BAND, MODE, or FREQUENCY.

Chuck K9PLX
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Mike Olbrisch

I believe I can clearly see what the problem is.  And there is no hope for it other than looking for a program that better fits your needs.  AC-Log isn’t a net-control type program where you have multiple stations checked in at random times, and leaving at random times.  Using AC-Log, you log one station in and out at a time.  TIME ON is automatically entered when you <TAB> into that field.  TIME OFF is automatically entered either when you <TAB> to that field, or when you hit enter to log the contact.  You can go back and edit it later, but you have no other choices.  Well, one other choice.  You can uncheck it and leave the TIME OFF field blank.

If having this function is important to you, then AC-Log probably isn’t the right program for you. Perhaps you can find someone who is a good programmer that can take over supporting the orphaned program that worked for you.  That would not be me……. I have many and varied skills….. but writing programs is something magical, and I am no magician.

Unless I am mis-understanding the situation, there it is.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Denny
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 7:33 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Time Off Field

Rick,

Good luck,

Bob, N3BD

Mike Olbrisch

Good morning Chuck.

His problem is that he is logging people who check in to a net.  He is logging them in the sequence they check in.  HOWEVER, they to not leave the net in the same sequence as they check in, and he wants to accurately log the time they leave the net.  Unless I am missing something, AC-Log will not do what he wished to do without manually editing each entry.  AC-Log is not a net-logger program, it handles one contact on and off at a time.  Or perhaps I am not understanding his needs fully.  But I’m on my second mug of iced coffee, so I think I’m there.  <grin>.  It is +17°F in El Paso today, and I’m drinking iced coffee……  yup! 

But the JEEP has been a lot of fun, we only get to do this every couple of years!

May be an image of outdoors

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of K9PLX Chuck
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 8:05 AM

Chuck K9PLX

=====

¯\__/¯ Whatever.

Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Rick Markey, KN3C

Mike,

I think you summed it up perfectly.  The last program I used was Win-EQF which was originally written by Tom Dandrea and then later on sold to Torkel Jodalen.  It did most of what ACL does, not all.

Sadly, of the other logging candidates I've looked at, ACL was the best of the bunch for my type of operating.   It's registered, and I can continue to use it.  Maybe I can convince Scott to add a "feature" at some future date?  I am no programmer so I can't roll my own logging program.

Appreciate all of the feedback.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/15/2021 10:17, Mike Olbrisch wrote:

I believe I can clearly see what the problem is.  And there is no hope for it other than looking for a program that better fits your needs.  AC-Log isn’t a net-control type program where you have multiple stations checked in at random times, and leaving at random times.  Using AC-Log, you log one station in and out at a time.  TIME ON is automatically entered when you <TAB> into that field.  TIME OFF is automatically entered either when you <TAB> to that field, or when you hit enter to log the contact.  You can go back and edit it later, but you have no other choices.  Well, one other choice.  You can uncheck it and leave the TIME OFF field blank.

If having this function is important to you, then AC-Log probably isn’t the right program for you. Perhaps you can find someone who is a good programmer that can take over supporting the orphaned program that worked for you.  That would not be me……. I have many and varied skills….. but writing programs is something magical, and I am no magician.

Unless I am mis-understanding the situation, there it is.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Denny
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 7:33 AM

Rick,

Good luck,

Bob, N3BD

Virus-free. www.avg.com

K9PLX Chuck

Ah. I had missed that. Must be the 18+ inches of snow on the ground here (with 5 to 9 more coming today and tomorrow). Lotsa happy Jeeps here!

Chuck
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:24 AM Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...> wrote:

Good morning Chuck.

His problem is that he is logging people who check in to a net.  He is logging them in the sequence they check in.  HOWEVER, they to not leave the net in the same sequence as they check in, and he wants to accurately log the time they leave the net.  Unless I am missing something, AC-Log will not do what he wished to do without manually editing each entry.  AC-Log is not a net-logger program, it handles one contact on and off at a time.  Or perhaps I am not understanding his needs fully.  But I’m on my second mug of iced coffee, so I think I’m there.  <grin>.  It is +17°F in El Paso today, and I’m drinking iced coffee……  yup! 

But the JEEP has been a lot of fun, we only get to do this every couple of years!

May be an image of outdoors

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of K9PLX Chuck
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 8:05 AM

Chuck K9PLX

=====

¯\__/¯ Whatever.

Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dave

Rick,
The 'time on' is automatic when you tab there after you enter the call which you know. My 'time off'  time does not get populated until I hit 'log contact' which is what I am understanding is your desire.

Dave KC3AM

On 02/15/2021 06:58, Rick Markey, KN3C wrote:
Dave,

Rick, KN3C

Dave KC3AM

--

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--

Mike Olbrisch

Thank you sir…… I guess the Iced Coffee is working this morning.  Iced coffee in the cup, a small space heater on my feet.  Welcome to West Texas!  We get cold and snow about every three years.

Recently we had a local ham pass on.  He was running two weekly nets, the 10-10 international local chapter, and the 6m SMIRK net local chapter.  My son-in-law Keith took over the 10m net.  He discovered a program that fit his needs as a net control, it was called – strangely enough – NET LOGGER.  I know nothing else about it, I know he also uses AC-Log, so I am going to stick my neck out and assume NET LOGGER can output ADIF for importing to AC-LOG.  Perhaps this is something that will do what AC-Log will not.  Please don’t ask me for help with it, I know nothing more.

NetLogger - Amateur Radio Logging Program

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.
An EXIT is really an ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Markey, KN3C
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 8:25 AM

Mike,

I think you summed it up perfectly.  The last program I used was Win-EQF which was originally written by Tom Dandrea and then later on sold to Torkel Jodalen.  It did most of what ACL does, not all.

Sadly, of the other logging candidates I've looked at, ACL was the best of the bunch for my type of operating.   It's registered, and I can continue to use it.  Maybe I can convince Scott to add a "feature" at some future date?  I am no programmer so I can't roll my own logging program.

Rick, KN3C

Rick Markey, KN3C

Mike,

Net Logger is a web based system used by a great many nets.  I've used it briefly.  As I understand it, anyone who wants to check into a net has to log into Net Logger so the net controller knows they are waiting. 

We really don't have a net in the strict sense of the word.  It's just a bunch of hams who get together daily and shoot the breeze.  When I was searching for logging programs way back when, the ability to enter Time Off was missing from most programs, since, I assume, they were meant primarily for DXing or contesting.  Logging programs that emulate the old paper logs were difficult to find.  ACL comes closest to what I was looking for.  Hey I'm retired.  What's a few more keystrokes, right?

Thanks,
Rick, KN3C

On 2/15/2021 10:50, Mike Olbrisch wrote:

Thank you sir…… I guess the Iced Coffee is working this morning.  Iced coffee in the cup, a small space heater on my feet.  Welcome to West Texas!  We get cold and snow about every three years.

Recently we had a local ham pass on.  He was running two weekly nets, the 10-10 international local chapter, and the 6m SMIRK net local chapter.  My son-in-law Keith took over the 10m net.  He discovered a program that fit his needs as a net control, it was called – strangely enough – NET LOGGER.  I know nothing else about it, I know he also uses AC-Log, so I am going to stick my neck out and assume NET LOGGER can output ADIF for importing to AC-LOG.  Perhaps this is something that will do what AC-Log will not.  Please don’t ask me for help with it, I know nothing more.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Markey, KN3C

Mike,

Rick, KN3C

kb2m@arrl.net

I would look for a simple Excel Spreadsheet to modify to do what you want. I haven’t worked with Excel for years, but I remember it is fairly simple to develop this kind of APP. After the net you could import your info from it into your main log. Look around online there are many spreadsheet logging APP’s to go through, and then simply modify to your exact spec…

73 Jeff kb2m

Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 10:57 AM

Mike,

Net Logger is a web based system used by a great many nets.  I've used it briefly.  As I understand it, anyone who wants to check into a net has to log into Net Logger so the net controller knows they are waiting. 

We really don't have a net in the strict sense of the word.  It's just a bunch of hams who get together daily and shoot the breeze.  When I was searching for logging programs way back when, the ability to enter Time Off was missing from most programs, since, I assume, they were meant primarily for DXing or contesting.  Logging programs that emulate the old paper logs were difficult to find.  ACL comes closest to what I was looking for.  Hey I'm retired.  What's a few more keystrokes, right?

Thanks,
Rick, KN3C

Mike,

Rick, KN3C

Kevin Gray

Scott,

If you could slightly modify the workings of “Net and Round Table Manager” it could (would) work exactly as Rick, KN3C, is requesting.

Currently the ”on Time” is populated with the current “On Time” {Good} when a call is entered and you move out of the “Call” field.

However, clicking the “Log” button Does Not enter the current time in the “Off Time” on the main form.

This also Doesn’t occur when you press the “Save and Close” button.

If either of those buttons would populate the “Off Time” field on the main form with the time the button was clicked, it would be very useful, and do exactly what Rick is wanting.

I would also like to see this happen, as it would greatly enhance the usefulness of the Net and Round Table Manager feature.

Just my thoughts on the situation.

Kevin,

N9VPV

Sent: Monday, February 15, 2021 9:57 AM

Mike,

Thanks,
Rick, KN3C

Mike,

Rick, KN3C

Robert Denny

Rick,

This behavior is before you save the qso.  If you have a number of simultaneous qsos, this still works, but only on a one-qso-at-a-time mode.  If you're trying to log the "off" time of many simultaneous persons who log off at different times (which is what I now think you're doing), I don't know what to do except edit the "off" time of the qso.  I'm thinking I would use special software that has that feature.  AC Log is feature rich; it has a "net" function, but it doesn't seem to log the "off" time.

Sorry,

Bob