Topics

Time Off Field

Rick Markey, KN3C

I keep accurate logs, including Time Off.  Is there any way to automatically log the Time Off?  Currently I have to do that manually by editing each contact.  My previous logging program allowed you to highlight the contact, hit an "F" key, and the off time would be automatically entered.

I looked through the documentation but haven't found much about the Time Off field.

Dave

Click on the Settings tab, large window opens up.
5th choice from the bottom needs to be checked.
Time off- if blank, log current time.

Dave KC3AM

--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

Rick Markey, KN3C

Dave,

Saw that but unless I'm missing something, that's not helpful.  It logs the "on" time in the "off" field when you initiate the contact.  When I have completed a QSO, I log the off time.  This is a casual QSO, not a contest.

Hey, it's not the end of the world, but a keystroke rather than having to type in the time would be easier.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/14/2021 17:08, Dave via groups.io wrote:
Click on the Settings tab, large window opens up.
5th choice from the bottom needs to be checked.
Time off- if blank, log current time.

Dave KC3AM

On 02/14/2021 16:04, Rick Markey, KN3C wrote:
I keep accurate logs, including Time Off.  Is there any way to automatically log the Time Off?  Currently I have to do that manually by editing each contact.  My previous logging program allowed you to highlight the contact, hit an "F" key, and the off time would be automatically entered.

I looked through the documentation but haven't found much about the Time Off field.

--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

Mitch NW0M

Not sure what you're seeing Rick but it has logged the correct Off Time for me.

In your test, are you waiting a minute before actually logging the QSO?  Enter call, tab, wait at least one minute, log QSO.  Simple test.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 05:58 AM, Rick Markey, KN3C wrote:
[...]

Upon further review....

Rick I think your logging methodology is to log the QSO right after being initiated and then say 20 minutes later when the QSO is finished, you go back and edit the QSO to add the Off Time.

Conventional wisdom would be to WAIT to log the QSO until the QSO is finished.  Then it will automatically log with the current Off Time.  Why not do that?

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 06:56 AM, Mitch NW0M wrote:
[...]

If it was a single contact, that could work.  Every morning, I am part of an informal group.  They enter and leave the conversation at different times.  I'm not running a net, but I do log everyone who shows up.  I've played with the NET feature, but that hasn't provided an answer.

The program is new to me, and clearly doesn't work the same as my previous logging program which is now an orphan.  I picked N3FJPs program as a replacement based on a suggestion from a friend who was using the same orphaned logging program.  Maybe I'm missing something, but so far, nothing in the documentation I've read or watched has given me a solution.

I do keep detailed logs which apparently is not the norm, since it's no longer required.  Early in my ham radio experience, I had an issue with a neighbor who blamed me for interference.  My logs proved that it wasn't me, but was the neighbor's fellow CBer, which immediately ended the conversation!

For most users, I'm sure it's no big deal.  For me, it's just some extra keystrokes.  If I could highlight the contact and hit an "F" key to enter the off time, or enter the edit mode and click on the "Time Off" field to automatically enter the time, that would make the process easier and faster.

I just thought that someone may have a solution that I haven't figured out?  You know the story.  Everyone hates change!

Appreciate the help.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/15/2021 08:39, Mitch NW0M wrote:
[...]

Robert Denny

Rick,

Maybe this will hep.  Turn on (checkmark) Settings>Time Off - If Blank, Log Current Time."  The current time will be filled in immediately.  Then, any time you click in the blue area where the "Time Off" label appears, the time will update to the current time.

Good luck,

Bob, N3BD

Rick Markey, KN3C

Bob,

It edit mode, or before you hit Log Contact.?  I think I tried that in edit mode and it didn't work, but I will confirm.

Rick, KN3C

On 2/15/2021 09:32, Robert Denny wrote:
Rick,

Maybe this will hep.  Turn on (checkmark) Settings>Time Off - If Blank, Log Current Time."  The current time will be filled in immediately.  Then, any time you click in the blue area where the "Time Off" label appears, the time will update to the current time.

Good luck,

Bob, N3BD

K9PLX Chuck

Well, I'm confused. When I initiate a contact by entering the call sign in the CALL field and then tabbing out of that field, the TIME OFF field remains blank. If rig control is active, the only other fields that auto-fill are DATE, BAND, MODE, TIME ON, RST/S, RST/R, and FREQUENCY. TIME OFF is blank and remains blank until I press Enter to actually log the contact. Without rig control active I don't get BAND, MODE, or FREQUENCY.

Chuck K9PLX
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 5:58 AM Rick Markey, KN3C <kn3c@...> wrote:
[...]

(Long story short, Press TAB when you begin a QSO and ENTER when you end it.)
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 9:05 AM K9PLX Chuck via groups.io <dark.asteroid=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Olbrisch

I believe I can clearly see what the problem is.  And there is no hope for it other than looking for a program that better fits your needs.  AC-Log isn’t a net-control type program where you have multiple stations checked in at random times, and leaving at random times.  Using AC-Log, you log one station in and out at a time.  TIME ON is automatically entered when you <TAB> into that field.  TIME OFF is automatically entered either when you <TAB> to that field, or when you hit enter to log the contact.  You can go back and edit it later, but you have no other choices.  Well, one other choice.  You can uncheck it and leave the TIME OFF field blank.

If having this function is important to you, then AC-Log probably isn’t the right program for you. Perhaps you can find someone who is a good programmer that can take over supporting the orphaned program that worked for you.  That would not be me……. I have many and varied skills….. but writing programs is something magical, and I am no magician.

Unless I am mis-understanding the situation, there it is.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.