From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of n7px via groups.io <n7px@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 9:41:36 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Statistics by band?

My son and I have been using AClog the past month to document the 800+ FT8 contacts we've made for a Science Fair project he's doing on HF propagation.

We're trying to determine by band the average DX contact distance.  I see the overall figure in "statistics" but not how to do it by band short of removing all the other contacts from the log!

We have exported (copied and imported) all the contacts into an Excel spreadsheet and was thinking I could use a function in Excel to calculate distance between our QTH and the country, but haven't found a way to do that.

Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks!

Chris N7PX and Luke N7LPX

K9PLX Chuck

I have used Excel to calculate latitude and longitude from grid squares. It's time-consuming to set up but it works well and can take the grid squares from the WSJT log and convert them to latitude/longitude pairs. Once you have the latitude and longitudes of your QTH and the QTH of the DX station, you can use the Haversine equation to calculate the distance between them. You would just add this function to the spreadsheet which calculates the lat/long pairs from the grid square. There's a good article on implementing the Haversine equation in Excel at:

73
Chuck K9PLX
----------
I used to jog 5 miles every day, but then I found a shortcut.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 8:41 PM <n7px@...> wrote:
My son and I have been using AClog the past month to document the 800+ FT8 contacts we've made for a Science Fair project he's doing on HF propagation.

We're trying to determine by band the average DX contact distance.  I see the overall figure in "statistics" but not how to do it by band short of removing all the other contacts from the log!

We have exported (copied and imported) all the contacts into an Excel spreadsheet and was thinking I could use a function in Excel to calculate distance between our QTH and the country, but haven't found a way to do that.

Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks!

Chris N7PX and Luke N7LPX

Stuart Uggen / K7ALM

Can you use the “Call Search” function in QRZ? When you have a call loaded, touch the map icon at lower left, and the program will render both bearing and distance between your station and the station you have contacted. This procedure would have to be repeated for each of the 800+ contacts you want to include in the study. Then you would need a way to transfer the data to the spreadsheet (manually). 🤷‍♂️
I’m curious to know if this comes even close to a viable solution.🤷‍♂️
[BTW, you are 2340 miles @ 90 degrees from my QTH] You are also 3 hours deeper into the night than PDT.
73, Stu — K7ALM

On Apr 10, 2021, at 6:41 PM, n7px@... wrote:

My son and I have been using AClog the past month to document the 800+ FT8 contacts we've made for a Science Fair project he's doing on HF propagation.

We're trying to determine by band the average DX contact distance.  I see the overall figure in "statistics" but not how to do it by band short of removing all the other contacts from the log!

We have exported (copied and imported) all the contacts into an Excel spreadsheet and was thinking I could use a function in Excel to calculate distance between our QTH and the country, but haven't found a way to do that.

Any suggestions welcome!  Thanks!

Chris N7PX and Luke N7LPX

Stuart Uggen / K7ALM

It also occurs to me that some stations may not be registered with QRZ.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️